New rabbit transit rough mix

damn, here's a lesson.. 4 am sessions = missing shit.

I just noticed that one guitar is panned left then all of sudden jumps to the middle for half the song then goes back to the left. Uploading a new version now.. i'm tired haha

I seem to recall enjoying some of your earlier work, but I hate MySpace so very, very much!

I assume Measures to Prevent Accidents is the song in question? The guitars are way too far to the side for my taste. They also sound much "closer" than the rest of the instruments. I'd pan them closer to the center and add some more reverb to them.

I'd also use something other than MySpace. :D

agreed...it puts me off listening to it instantly...

I can barely hear it :(

sounds like a great tune too, has a live feel about it but sound tinny on my system..who knows with my space

I seem to recall enjoying some of your earlier work, but I hate MySpace so very, very much!

I assume Measures to Prevent Accidents is the song in question? The guitars are way too far to the side for my taste. They also sound much "closer" than the rest of the instruments. I'd pan them closer to the center and add some more reverb to them.

I'd also use something other than MySpace. :D

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually agree 100% listening to it while i'm actually awake.

I'll definately try that.

agreed...it puts me off listening to it instantly...

I can barely hear it :(

sounds like a great tune too, has a live feel about it but sound tinny on my system..who knows with my space

thanks,

yeah the guitars are a little tinny. I think once i add a bit a verb and work a little more with the eq that should be cleared up.

If anything I almost like myspace. I find that for some reason it seems to accentuate all the mistakes in a mix so it's easier to hear them.. ok so that's not really a good thing at all but in a way kinda useful when mixing.

Anyone else notice this though?

like if you're mids are a tiny bit too harsh once you put it on myspace it seems like it's 10x worse.. maybe it's just me.

thanks,

yeah the guitars are a little tinny. I think once i add a bit a verb and work a little more with the eq that should be cleared up.

If anything I almost like myspace. I find that for some reason it seems to accentuate all the mistakes in a mix so it's easier to hear them.. ok so that's not really a good thing at all but in a way kinda useful when mixing.

Anyone else notice this though?

like if you're mids are a tiny bit too harsh once you put it on myspace it seems like it's 10x worse.. maybe it's just me.

haha thats one way to look at it...cant say Ill be mixing through myspace anytime soon :D

Your Mspace page is too involved - it takes too long to load up fully - waiting makes me less inclined to listen.
The player is awful - please post somewhere that'll give the song & I a chance.
Keep Mspace but is it for what it's made for.
The song Mesures (sic) to Prevent Accidents seems like it'd be really good if I could hear more of it.
I'm not unhappy with the wide panning as it gives the song a bit of psych & oddness which is fine.
That said bringing things in a little or adjusting the levels at least will make it more pallatable to most folk.
Good song - needs mix work & a decent player.

Your Mspace page is too involved - it takes too long to load up fully - waiting makes me less inclined to listen.
The player is awful - please post somewhere that'll give the song & I a chance.
Keep Mspace but is it for what it's made for.
The song Mesures (sic) to Prevent Accidents seems like it'd be really good if I could hear more of it.
I'm not unhappy with the wide panning as it gives the song a bit of psych & oddness which is fine.
That said bringing things in a little or adjusting the levels at least will make it more pallatable to most folk.
Good song - needs mix work & a decent player.

Thanks for the advice. Although having a repeating background and a jpeg on the myspace is not too involved.. unless you're running a pentium 1 on a 56k modem it should load up in a few seconds. It's actually alot more minimal than alot of pages.

I do understand that myspace isn't the best player but i think some of you might be taking it a little too far. I mean lets be honest.. we can blame myspace for a bad mix but does it really degrade the quality THAT much.

it is an mp3 after all.

I hardly think it makes that huge of a difference when asking about a rough mix. I uploaded to reverbnation as well and it sounds almost identical.

The mix is not done so it will not be by any means perfect. I don't really think it's because of myspace that certain things sound a bit off. I don't mean to direct that comment at you. Just the comments about how you can't even listen to myspace and how it makes things sound soo terrible just sets off my bs detector a bit.

Thanks for the advice. Although having a repeating background and a jpeg on the myspace is not too involved.. unless you're running a pentium 1 on a 56k modem it should load up in a few seconds. It's actually alot more minimal than alot of pages.

I do understand that myspace isn't the best player but i think some of you might be taking it a little too far. I mean lets be honest.. we can blame myspace for a bad mix but does it really degrade the quality THAT much.

it is an mp3 after all.

I hardly think it makes that huge of a difference when asking about a rough mix. I uploaded to reverbnation as well and it sounds almost identical.

The mix is not done so it will not be by any means perfect. I don't really think it's because of myspace that certain things sound a bit off. I don't mean to direct that comment at you. Just the comments about how you can't even listen to myspace and how it makes things sound soo terrible just sets off my bs detector a bit.

nope reverbnation and soundclick both sound better and Ive stopped using them even...my space encodes MP3s at 96 kbps...reverbnation et al at 128kbps...Dropbox, and others, up to 320...thats a huge difference in quality

a mix is more than just about obvious levels an panning..I have a choir on one of my tracks that is all but unlistenable at 128kpbs..cymbals etc all sound like shit at that rate...high frequencies are lost or compressed..

its up to you at the end of the day...I have a page on most of these sites but I know that if I want comments on my mix I want to post it at 320kbps so I dont spend time trying to fix cymbals etc that were always OK ;)

try dropbox...you just drop your music on a desktop icon and it updates itself automatically...great for sharing stuff or collaborations..here's a referral that gives us both a bit more space

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTMxNDY4MDU5

or dont...I know some folks are put off...its not because they're acting like dicks or know it alls or anything..promise :)

What the kcearl said...
Seriously, I started listening on good vinyl , then chorme tapes then CDs all through a good stereo system. I do have an MP3 player but it actually plays wav. files (I lashed out extra money for the extra quality) - With it, if I play my own stuff or other stuff that I really like & enjoy listening to I'll rip it from CD or vinyl to the player as wav files & listen with head phones not ear plugs.
There's a thread about hating reverb that has a screen shot of the diff between vinyl & CD in terms of Freq range & it's AMAZING (CD stops around 20Khz & the LP at around 96Khz if In recall) the change from CD to MP3 isn't quite as radical BUT it's really noticeable. Most decent download blogs now base their stuff on 320.
The days of 192 or less are long gone for listening purposes - really.
I have noted, because I have the opportunity to test this theorey almost daily, that generally, the generation bought up with access to MP3s has much lower expectations for the quality of music & are unlikely to recognise better quality when they hear it because, if it's not SPFX laced, it holds no intrinsic value for them. It's a pity really - strangely the same gen. require BluRay quality DVDs & HDTV but watch streamed or downloaded movies happily. I don't use hyperbass or pumped beyond any relation to the real thing sub woofer either.
The folk who haunt these boards actually take the time to listen & try to do it with the best available given the circumstances otherwise the critique on the mix is going to be way off - just compare cymbals at 92 to the same file as an original wav or better and you will hear the difference.
Do yourself a favour & listen a little.

Last edited:
What the kcearl said...
Seriously, I started listening on good vinyl , then chorme tapes then CDs all through a good stereo system. I do have an MP3 player but it actually plays wav. files (I lashed out extra money for the extra quality) - With it, if I play my own stuff or other stuff that I really like & enjoy listening to I'll rip it from CD or vinyl to the player as wav files & listen with head phones not ear plugs.
There's a thread about hating reverb that has a screen shot of the diff between vinyl & CD in terms of Freq range & it's AMAZING (CD stops around 20Khz & the LP at around 96Khz if In recall) the change from CD to MP3 isn't quite as radical BUT it's really noticeable. Most decent download blogs now base their stuff on 320.
The days of 192 or less are long gone for listening purposes - really.
I have noted, because I have the opportunity to test this theorey almost daily, that generally, the generation bought up with access to MP3s has much lower expectations for the quality of music & are unlikely to recognise better quality when they hear it because, if it's not SPFX laced, it holds no intrinsic value for them. It's a pity really - strangely the same gen. require BluRay quality DVDs & HDTV but watch streamed or downloaded movies happily. I don't use hyperbass or pumped beyond any relation to the real thing sub woofer either.
The folk who haunt these boards actually take the time to listen & try to do it with the best available given the circumstances otherwise the critique on the mix is going to be way off - just compare cymbals at 92 to the same file as an original wav or better and you will hear the difference.
Do yourself a favour & listen a little.

I couldn't agree more,

I have a hard time even listening to mp3's it really bugs me.

I actually heard just yesterday that myspace now takes 216 mp3's Not sure if that is true or not. I'll have to test it out

I listened to the first tune on the list - with the least amount of plays. I found the mix was well balanced but overall a little on the thin side. It may be the player somewhat, but I would suggest some more bottom end on the mix in general. Yeah the cymbals were pretty washy on MySpace.

Good tune....

:D:):):D

I listened to the first tune on the list - with the least amount of plays. I found the mix was well balanced but overall a little on the thin side. It may be the player somewhat, but I would suggest some more bottom end on the mix in general. Yeah the cymbals were pretty washy on MySpace.

Good tune....

:D:):):D

Completely! I actually took a step back and didn't listen to anything we've been working on for the past few days and when I just played it back I completely noticed that it needs some bottom end to round it out. Got tweak that bass guitar sound, it's almost completely lost in the mix.

Thanks alot guys for the constructive criticism. Hopefully I'll get a few hours this weekend to work on it. We're trying to get our demo done before the 31st of jan so we can apply to play this years NXNE (north by north east)

I almost didn't reply, but here's what an old 70s-80s rock player says:

My older recordings with minimal equipment probably sounded no better, but...

If you're using decent stuff, multitracking everything, etc. and ample effects at your disposal...

I'd expect a more upfront sound.
Did you record everything at once (live)?
It has that "garage recording" sound to it.

As far as the song goes...it's different & original sounding...
But I think it stinks. Not very listenable.
Performance wise, it's fine...I just think this style and approach to songs & rock music in general is to chaotic (scale wise). The vocals were nearly as bad, but I gotta give some props, just to be able to sing something along with the chaos .

But then, I'm 47 years old.
I was buying Boston/Queen/Zeppelin/Bad Company/Black Sabbath albums when I was in my youth...so my taste in music is obviously poor. :eek:

I almost didn't reply, but here's what an old 70s-80s rock player says:

My older recordings with minimal equipment probably sounded no better, but...

If you're using decent stuff, multitracking everything, etc. and ample effects at your disposal...

I'd expect a more upfront sound.
Did you record everything at once (live)?
It has that "garage recording" sound to it.

As far as the song goes...it's different & original sounding...
But I think it stinks. Not very listenable.
Performance wise, it's fine...I just think this style and approach to songs & rock music in general is to chaotic (scale wise). The vocals were nearly as bad, but I gotta give some props, just to be able to sing something along with the chaos .

But then, I'm 47 years old.
I was buying Boston/Queen/Zeppelin/Bad Company/Black Sabbath albums when I was in my youth...so my taste in music is obviously poor. :eek:

Well we definitely don't have great gear by any means. I actually want to try to avoid that squashed up front sound if at all possible. It's rock not britney spears it has to be somewhat raw. Someone who listens to lots of the classic records should get that.. now did I accomplish the sound i was looking for not quite yet.

Some of us here are still learning so unless you have some constructive critism why are you responding.

Umm, look at the first line in my post.
You posted it, I gave my opinion.

I'm sorry if you didn't like what I had to say.

so basically insulting me and my music is constructive?

look at what others say in posts things like "the panning is a bit wide" or " the eqing needs more bass" things like that are actually helpful.

you saying "oh did you record this with decent equipment?" then "your music is unlistenable to" is not constructive.

for a 40 year old you're pretty dense

Well took a little bit of searching and I'm not sure if you mentioned a particular song, but "Measures to Prevent Accidents" would require a much longer reply than what I clicked on right below it, "The Texas Tunnel". Dig the mix, the style on that one, and the gel of the band. Whoever was doing production, maybe yourselves, did some really good reads on unexpected but absolutely appropriate guitar tones/breaks. I just heard one "nasally" one, right at the end, that I would have done with a little more midrange and guts, but that is minor detail. Nice production on "Texas".

it is an mp3 after all.

You don't quite understand. Reverbnation plays what you feed it, all the way up to 320kb MP3s. MySpace mashes everything you upload through an incredibly coarse and unrefined 96kb/sec encoder. Your cymbals turn to blenders, any sibilance gets magnified immensely, any attempts at clarity or imaging are forever mashed. MySpace is completely WORTHLESS. Reverbnation rocks. Lots of folks here use Soundclick with excellent results, too... I won't listen to anything posted here on MySpace, because it so dramatically shreds the original sound, it's impossible to tell what the artist's intent is. Yeah, it's really that bad.

Back