New Quantegy Tape

James K

So guys, is it safe to assume that the guy running the Quantegy website and Twitter page is just a massive joker or a fantasist?

I just don't understand the motivation. New tape in May. We have stock just working out pricing. New tape in August. Check back in November. They're just about there and then .... gotta wait another three months we're experimenting with some new packaging material ....

I have always assumed they were looking for a factory in China or India to make tape, and are working out the QC and logistical hassles associated with that. But the terse check back in a month every three months for three years....?

Doesn't do much for company image though.
I love quantergy tape but i'm not playing ball in this game, i'd sooner buy NOS.

AFAICT they're not taking preorders, right? So it's not exactly doing any harm. I have seen worse, in any case - the OpenPandora handheld was originally slated for delivery around Dec 2008, and they did take preorders in order to fund production. Mine finally turned up this April, but a lot of people lost faith.

In the case of the Pandora, they had about 3 catastrophic problems each of which nearly wrecked the project - the most crucial being the US PCB manufacturer who made great promises of a thousand boards a month and ended up delivering something more like 100 a year. Eventually they found a German manufacturer and things got much, much better (though it took so long that the memory IC became obsolete so the German built machines were higher spec than the originals).

Point is, Quantegy Online might be having the same problem with their manufacturer. IIRC the resurrected Zonal Media company is run out of a house in Surrey, so it is absolutely possible that Quantegy might be able to pull off the same trick.

Would I bet the farm on Quantegy tape being manufactured again? No. But I wouldn't rule it out either.

I just find it hard to believe that all this stuff is anything but lies. I don't believe that they're manufacturing tape or testing tape or anything like that. All their claims are completely inconsistent and the fact that the sole source of information is a very rarely updated Twitter page hardly fills me with confidence.

They aren’t doing anything but scrounging up old stock and making it available when they can. Whoever is calling the shots there may in some misguided way think that if we have an expectation of new tape just around the corner that we’ll buy whatever bits and pieces they have now. They have a facebook page too that I finally removed myself from last year. I always thought they might be waiting for either ATR or RMGI to fail and are just trying to keep a presence until then, but who knows.

The jokers that acquired it after the bankruptcy in 2005 never did get it right. The tape itself had major QC issues and they lost a lot of old customers due to that. It might as well have been made in China. They tried to get by on the cheap with the old Quantegy employees they kept around. What I mean is they should have kept more senior higher paid people around.

They could have been making tape in Korea all this time if they wanted to. Korea (South Korea) is one place that still has the equipment and facilities for open-reel and cassette. Tape is even more popular now than it was five years ago. With the brand name recognition they have they are just plain incompetent not to be able to make a go of it. Totally unprofessional.

They should put up or shut up. I don't expect to see Quantegy back in production. I'd sooner expect some other company to start making their own version of the formulas, sort of like rmgi/emtec. Too bad, I like Quantegy tape, but I don't get why they keep stringing people along, or why there's even a website still up.

I'd like to add my own little anecdote ...

I ordered 2 reels of the Quantegy 406 1" directly from quantegy.com a little over a month ago, went through their checkout system, paid via Paypal, and ... nothing. no order confirmation email, etc. Waited a week or so, emailed Quantegy ... no response. Filed a Paypal dispute ... no response. Eventually, Paypal just gave me my money back.

Not sure what's going on with this company !

This is interesting though, the first change in this language since about 2009:

We at Quantegy would like to thank you for your patience while we continue to work on reintroducing our GP9 tape. We do not and will not release anything that is not up to the standards of our world famous Quantegy tape. We are very pleased with the initial results from our current runs of GP9 and small quantities are now available in two inch 2500' lengths. Orders can be placed online now!

It says "current runs" which would imply "new" not "new old stock." Also, they use to say "working on re-introducing 456 499 and GP9" and now no mention of 456 or 499.

They have the old language when you click the link for Audio products.

I'd like to add my own little anecdote ...

I ordered 2 reels of the Quantegy 406 1" directly from quantegy.com a little over a month ago, went through their checkout system, paid via Paypal, and ... nothing. no order confirmation email, etc. Waited a week or so, emailed Quantegy ... no response. Filed a Paypal dispute ... no response. Eventually, Paypal just gave me my money back.

Not sure what's going on with this company !

Dang, I was just about to order some 408 for my Nagra. Better hold off...thanks for the heads up.

The guy says on Nov 1 "NEW" and the quote above also suggests this is new production. I'm wondering if it is outsourced and starting out on something of a budget, So first run of 2" GP9 and then work on the slitting?????

Back