New ProRec Roll Your Own

giaschel

Hello.
ProRec has just put up a new Roll Your Own computer.

I was soon going to buy a new computer with Intel processor and Asus motherboard and they are now recommending totally different stuff. Where does it end...

I know, I know.

But it's sometimes just so frustrating. I get the feeling if I go ahead and buy something, I'll be thinking I should have bought something else.

Anyways... Life goes on.

Yep, now all of a sudden, AMD is the way to go for DAWs. I feel the winds of change...

Well, it's just one article of many. I'm still certain that the usual compatibility check applies.

ola are you still listening the scorpions?
german metal is the best :D

I'll get my AMD on next monday :)

Well, it got me planning for selling my Dell piece of half-crap and get a real computer. Then I remembered, I don't have a job and thus no income - darn...:(

well, at least the guy said that RAID is not necessary, and that you can get by with one HD................that leaves more money for the cordless optical mouse, beer, drugs and hookers.

RAID isn't necessary but it's cool. Don't forget the coolness factor.

You can indeed get by with one HDD but I like having two. Not so much for performance but rather for convenience when it comes to reinstalling Windows...

of course if you are using something for convenience , then it is totally justified......that's what pc recording is all about : making it EASY. which it is doing better and better these days.....two hard drives may be a must in some situations.

i think this guy gives excellent pointers for putting together a good system...but i'm sticking with my asus cusl2-c and pIII 1000mhz.

Hey Ola...

Are you saying that with two HDD you can copy and paste windows to the other drive provided it's formatted?

You can make a so called ghost image of your drive (or partition for that matter) when you have a fresh install of windows and your basic apps and put that image on on another drive (or partition).

A ghost image is simply bit by bit what you have on a partition packed into a large file that can then be unpacked to a drive to make an exact replica without having to install everything. Then when you have loaded too much crap on your computer and want to revert to that fresh install, you simply copy the ghost back to the drive and you're back. You usually use it whe you're making several identical computers with the same setup (install on one computer, make the ghost image and unpack the image on all the other computerss - done) but you can also use it as a backup. You will of course loose any settings you've made after you made the ghost image but that's generally the idea with a reinstall...

Since I run dual boot, I always install the OSes, driver and apps that I really need and then make a ghost image of the C:. That saves me an evening of windows installations if I need to get a fresh start.

Again, no absolute need for a second drive. Cunning partitioning will get you a long way.

Back