New Poster with Tune for Your Critique

Hi All, new poster here...
This is a complete mix of a tune that has taken me a LONG time to complete - Its a fairly complex rock/funk/prog/psych tune that's kinda my own personal "Stairway". The mix was VERY complex with many tracks, but it feels complete now... Hopefully you can give me some help to get it across the line... Thanks (BTW, Its quite lengthy too, but patience will be rewarded!)

You can hear the 128kb/sec version here: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9011652
Or the 320kb/sec version here: http://www.4shared.com/audio/F75kEg3J/Bulldozer__320_.html

Wow, awesome song! That's all I can really say. Loved the lyrics. I noticed the Album name is Glacial Pace, that sounds familiar to me, was it inspired by another band?

I liked the song. Real good performances. Bass part is really cool.

The clean guitars have a little too much bite to my ears.

Some weird vocal effect that I didn't care too much for. A chorus or something?

Drums are a little "programmy."

This is a good song and amazing performance.
Mix is well done.
If I could change something:I like vox performance, but the "sss" frequencies sounds a bit harsh (room/mic choice/position/maybe a singer´s voice character? who knows...)
Adding mids around 1k in the track I guess will helps to put the voice a bit forward.

Overall, Great Job!:cool:

Ciro

Thanks for the listens & the comments...

I noticed the Album name is Glacial Pace, that sounds familiar to me, was it inspired by another band?

No, that was inspired by the fact that it takes me soooo long to get anything done!

The clean guitars have a little too much bite to my ears.

I agree - I plan to make a change there.

Some weird vocal effect that I didn't care too much for. A chorus or something?

Well picked up! This is a parallel vocal effect that includes a Leslie type emulation & a few other things. I wanted it to be quite subtle, but to give some width & movement to the lead vocal.

Drums are a little "programmy."

The drums are, in fact the performance of a real drummer! I originally recorded the performance with a multi-miked drum kit, but I was only able to get the drummer to do one take at it. 95% of the performance was great, but one section was a bit of a write-off. Additionally, one of the drum mics failed, so since I couldn't get the drummer to do it again for love or money, I decided to extract the original performance as midi information using Sonar's Audiosnap tool, & replace the entire kit (including cymbals) with samples from Addictive Drums.

If I could change something:I like vox performance, but the "sss" frequencies sounds a bit harsh (room/mic choice/position/maybe a singer´s voice character? who knows...)

Yeah, I think the effect I'm using on the vocal (as picked up by TripleM) may be creating extra sibilance, so this is something I will have to look into further, as I de-essed both the vocal track & the delay/fx sends.

Adding mids around 1k in the track I guess will helps to put the voice a bit forward.

After listening to the mix on a few different system, I agree, the vocals need to come further forward.

Thank you all very much for listening & commenting... I really appreciate it.

Excellent

Great song! Lyrics are great. It gives me a feeling of Slash vs Oasis - which is great... in my Opinion. Cut this thing down to 3 minutes and you got yourself a radio single!

Constructive Criticism:
1. Too long. Maybe shorten it up just a bit, which I hate to say because it does sound nice... there is a small part in there where you kind of went reggae - maybe take that out.
2. Vocals are great - especially liked how you used the 'telephone' effect on some of the vocals.
3. Guitar - nothing bad to say about guitar.. totally rocked... Slash like... really. loved it.
4. Drums - I think the drums could have been louder... maybe mic'd differantly? That is something I know NOTHING about - but stronger drums would make this thing a 10.0 in my book.

Nick

Hey, thanks for the compliments... I'm chuffed that you like it...

Too long. Maybe shorten it up just a bit, which I hate to say because it does sound nice... there is a small part in there where you kind of went reggae - maybe take that out.

I've been thinking about this, but the trouble is that the narrative is really important to me, & its hard to know which part to lose! I was thinking about cutting half of the last verse (after the lead break)... In any case, don't think I can cut it down to 3 minutes - maybe 4 minutes!

What monitors did you use to mix?

I use Yamaha HS50M's with a HS10 sub - I love 'em, & they're not expensive.

Thank you very much for listening & commenting

Yeah. That was really creative, well produced and arranged, and rife with melody, interest, and rythm, throughout....especially the bass.....what everybody else said, dittos. The sound of the recording reminded me of Edgar Winters work with Ron Montrose, Dan Hartman, ect, back in the early 70's....without the tenor sax.

I like the guitar tone. Old school Strat. Nice to hear in a world full of 10,000ohm thickness.
The snare is strange.
The bass loses itself in the mix sometimes. Not a level issue...a band of EQ scooped? Some of the stuff below, say, 100...and above another freq...are not present in my monitors.
I don't think it's too long....but another element...like a wall of horns, a la 'White Trash', might keep the dynamic moving up after the halfway mark.

If you're the guitar player, you might want to work on the solo....some of the note and line choices could be stronger....and there are a couple places where the thing hits a wall ....runs out of an idea...in weaker note, slow trills n' stuff...where a resolution and strong arpeggiated chord tones would ground it, and kick some ass. [Eric Johnson's kind of strength, as an example]
And put it up front on a plateau with your leveled-up vox. The vox and the solo...features....are back .....where they should have front position!!

I love those little HS50's , too. On my list.

A great piece of work!

Oh yeah, I'm adding you to my personal list of the most talented people in this forum....;)
This is simply awesome and it was worth all the work you put in it. More please!

Joey :):):):)

Very nice! I dig the whole vibe of tune, it has a real catchy hook feel!!! I dig it, nice work and nice quality!

I like the guitar tone. Old school Strat. Nice to hear in a world full of 10,000ohm thickness.
The snare is strange.
The bass loses itself in the mix sometimes. Not a level issue...a band of EQ scooped? Some of the stuff below, say, 100...and above another freq...are not present in my monitors.
I don't think it's too long....but another element...like a wall of horns, a la 'White Trash', might keep the dynamic moving up after the halfway mark.

Great comments, Jeff... I'm taking everything on board at present.

If you're the guitar player, you might want to work on the solo....some of the note and line choices could be stronger....and there are a couple places where the thing hits a wall ....runs out of an idea...in weaker note, slow trills n' stuff...where a resolution and strong arpeggiated chord tones would ground it, and kick some ass. [Eric Johnson's kind of strength, as an example]
And put it up front on a plateau with your leveled-up vox. The vox and the solo...features....are back .....where they should have front position!!

Yeah, I played & sang everything except the drums... As far, as getting the guitar solo any better, I think I've reached the limits of my abilities in that area. I can't really do the Eric Johnson / Joe Bonamassa fast appeggio stuff, & it kinda doesn't really fit with my style... I'm a bit of an old dog in that respect - new tricks might fall flat!
I agree with your comments about the levels, though. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I'm adding you to my personal list of the most talented people in this forum....
This is simply awesome and it was worth all the work you put in it. More please!

Thanks Joey, I'm very flattered, but I'm sure that's a big overstatement! My only real talent is hard work & persistence. If you'd like to hear more of my stuff you can do so here: www.soundclick.com/fhumblefhingaz

Very nice! I dig the whole vibe of tune, it has a real catchy hook feel!!! I dig it, nice work and nice quality!

Thanks, my goal was to create a tune that you could dance as well as headbang to, & that if you stopped headbanging/dancing & listened to the lyrics you could think as well! Glad you liked it.

I thought the bass was lyrical and melodic...used to its potential...without interfering with, or stepping on, any of the other instruments. Tastefully done....nothing about it made me cringe.

Back