New Poster/Noob Intro/ Recording Help

ronaldscott11

Hello all, I have only posted on here previously one time before, and I asked an overly broad question with little to no direction behind it at all. As my username states, my name is Ronald and I am an aspiring (but I prefer the term local) singer/song writer with aspirations of audio engineering and production to be able to complete mix and master my own sound, and hopefully learn how to better use software for the purpose of adding extra instrumentation.

First and foremost, I have absolutely no formal teaching on music or audio engineering. I taught myself to play the guitar and then ultimately the piano/keyboard and I have began studying music theory on my own as well. I do have hopes and dreams of pursuing a formal education at some point, but I believe this forum could make that irrelevant since it is a slightly unobtainable hope anyhow.

I own a Fostex Vf160-EX 16 track recorder that my neighbor gave me, along with a phantom powered microphone. I use a Casio CPS-700 Digital Keyboard/Piano to record my keys and bass, and I record my own guitar tracks, but am hoping to learn how to use a DAW with my 16 track as the way for me to record the bass and keys tracks and then upload them to my computer for editing in a DAW. I am completely new to virtual studio technology, but I have a solid grasp on the concept; or at least I believe I do. But like any noob, I have noob questions.

I. What are some basic vocabulary terms that I should study to be able to communicate fluently with people on this forum as it pertains to audio engineering and production?

II. Is it possible for me to record the individual tracks on my 16 track recorder and then with the use of the built in CD burner on the device use them with a DAW on my laptop? If so, should I use Pro Tools or Audacity (or any other preferred and friendly DAW)?

III. Any kind of advice anybody could offer? I am really trying to use these forums for educational and sometimes recreational purposes to help better my knowledge and understanding of these topics to be able to apply it to my budding music career. Thank you in advance, and sorry if I seem stupid. :o

Is it possible for me to record the individual tracks on my 16 track recorder and then with the use of the built in CD burner on the device use them with a DAW on my laptop? If so, should I use Pro Tools or Audacity (or any other preferred and friendly DAW)?
Well, theoretically, it is possible. Some will probably advise you to get an interface and ditch the Fostex. Personally, I'd keep the Fostex, but then, I'm in the "Standalone recorder minority advisory contingent"{:D}. Back in 2005 when I was searching for a multitrack standalone DAW, after months of research, it came down to the Akai DPS 12i or the Fostex Vf160. It could've been either. The Akai won in the end ~ but only due to availability.
RAMI who, in the last year or so has moved over to computer recording, used to use his standalone TASCAM 24 track as a kind of interface to record his tracks and then dump the tracks into Reaper {his DAW} to proceed from there. Check out his recordings.
Truth be told, at this juncture in the 21st century, there exist a multiplicity of ways of recording one's music, from a basic 4 track cassette portastudio all the way to computer and interface ~ with hybrids in between. It really comes down to what you feel will suit you.
As for a DAW, pretty much any will do. Many contributors here use Reaper, which only costs about $60 last time I heard and you get a lengthy free trial period. Pro tools will do you as will Cubase, Logic and just about any other. But Audacity may well test your patience. I've been using it as an audio editing tool for a few months to revamp and edit some of my music collection. It's great for that but I'd never use it for actual multitracking of my own stuff. It's superb for editing long boring drum solos into something that lasts 15 seconds or splicing two different performances of a song into one and that kind of thing. But multitracking ? Naw. Not for me, anyway.
Any kind of advice anybody could offer? I am really trying to use these forums for educational and sometimes recreational purposes to help better my knowledge and understanding of these topics to be able to apply it to my budding music career. Thank you in advance, and sorry if I seem stupid. :o
There's a big difference in seeming to be stupid and actually being so. Nothing in your post indicates that you are either.......so relax ! Questions are natural for someone that doesn't know the answers.
You may have already been doing so but it really is worth going through the archives of past threads. I know people want live answers and sometimes, they're necessary, but there is so much info to hand already here. Quite often, when no0Bs ask beginners questions, I wonder if they've searched first because almost always, the answers have been given time and again over the last 4 years at least.
But don't let that discourage you.
And happy recording. It's great fun, despite the sometime frustration.

Looks like the only audio output the Fostex offers is ADAT, so that won't help in getting your signal direct to your computer without some adapter/interface, so yes your best bet would be to burn your tracks to CD, then move them from CD into your computer. If you do the individually-recorded tracks, rather than mixing them, you can then use any DAW (I recommend Reaper) - the only trick will be making sure you get all tracks lined up.
Reaper is free to download and tryout, just pay $60 when you decide you want to keep it - I'd suggest just moving forward and trying it!

Last edited:
So what if I wanted to use my Fostex as the means to record each track and then mix them down using the built in mixdown mode? Is it possible in theory for me to mix down all of my tracks on the fostex and then only use a DAW for extra effects like different instruments for each part, or am I using the wrong kind of software? What I want to do is record the primary bass backing track and the rhythm on the Fostex, then take what I have and import it to the computer for further editing, but I want to control how how these instruments are played with my own Electric Keyboard rather than by using the computer. How would I go about using my actual keyboard to play these extra instruments or to control my DAW when it comes to adding different musical parts, or does anybody know what past threads I should be looking at to learn things like this?

Not sure what you are trying to 'control' with your Casio. Do you mean through MIDI (not even sure that Casio offers midi out)?
If you mix all your tracks on the Fostex, then move the mix (stereo) to your computer you will not be able to do anything to the individual tracks you recorded, only to the full stereo mix itself.

Back