New poster, few questions here.

Ryann_

Hey everyone. I have lurked this page and this board for a while but finally signed up. I have a very modest set up but record myself, as well as many other quite often. I love recording and continue to go deeper into the subject. I have a couple questions for anyone who has a minute to answer.

1) What books would you recommend for someone who knows most of the basics but wants to go a little further into some things? I read the Gorilla home recording book and it was excellent. There are a ton of books on Amazon, but it would be nice to see what you guys have been reading, or what you recommend to stay away from.

2) I record in my home, I use my garage as a control room and my back room as an isolation "booth" for micing cabinets. I have to run longer speaker cables because I keep the head in the "control room" with me so I can tweak easier. I also run longer mic chords daisy chained because I don't have a snake yet. I was wondering if this was a bad idea. I have not noticed any real problems with noise, but I think I remember reading somewhere to keep the cable lengths short. Just wondering what some of you though/have dealt with.

Thanks for reading, and/or contributing.

-Ryan

http://colomar.com/Shavano/index.html
Great resource website for musicians and basic information about Pro audio.
you can learn a lot of good basic information from https://homerecording.com/newbies.html

there is a wellspring of information right here onthe forums
and a lot of what you will learn is by trial and error
the biggest challenge for me was learning how to mic acoustic drums IMO everything else is cake in compairison unless you are using electronic drums

proper use of the Gain is the most inportant thing for making a good distortion free vocal track

as far as the cables I imagine you are using XLR cables if so that is common practice to link them together in a pinch so you will be ok doing that until you are able to invest in a snake.
if you are handy with a soldering iron you can make your own snakes and other types of audio cables by going to the construction page at colomar.com/Shavano/index.html

Just read as much as you can and play around with your equipment and take notes of what works and what don't is the best advice I can give a nOOb:cool:

Glad I could help

feel free to PM me for any spesific questions you might have
I will try to answer if I can.

If you notice a little hum when linking cables together, try getting the conecters positioned so they are not on the floor, especially if you have concrete floors. Make sure the mic cables do NOT lay parallel to any power cables (another good source of hum.)

Back