New Pop/Rock song in the works, need some advice.

Sounds good, the drum reverb and guitar chorus effect is giving it a kinda 80's rock sound. Overall balance sounds OK for a beginning, drums may be a bit far back IDK?

Love the sound of the guitars! What are you using there?

I'm actually using some custom presets off Guitar Rig 4. It took a lot of figuring and tweaking to get GR4 to work just right. Most guitar players are worried about high end bite. I believe more time should be spent tweaking the mid to mid low frequencies. That's what gives a gtr some body and character. Even I struggled with it for a while.

PDP, I seem to fall into the snare verb/chorusy guitar thing all the time. I just think it sounds good. These modern day recordings are so dry, but it seems to be the going trend nowadays. I was always told not to write for current trends, but to transcend them, and try to predict what will come next. It's mostly a gamble, cuz all the trends are determined by record co's and radio stations, but I think this more polished sound will come back around. Every 25 to 30 years, history sometimes repeats itself.

Thanks for the critiques guys!!
Patrick
EAE Music Productions

Love the sound of the guitars! What are you using there?

I'm actually using some custom presets off Guitar Rig 4. It took a lot of figuring and tweaking to get GR4 to work just right. Most guitar players are worried about high end bite. I believe more time should be spent tweaking the mid to mid low frequencies. That's what gives a gtr some body and character. Even I struggled with it for a while.

PDP, I seem to fall into the snare verb/chorusy guitar thing all the time. I just think it sounds good. These modern day recordings are so dry, but it seems to be the going trend nowadays. I was always told not to write for current trends, but to transcend them, and try to predict what will come next. It's mostly a gamble, cuz all the trends are determined by record co's and radio stations, but I think this more polished sound will come back around. Every 25 to 30 years, history sometimes repeats itself.

Thanks for the critiques guys!!
Patrick
EAE Music Productions

I like the reverb on the snare, but it's a little too heavy which makes it lose some of the power it should have. I would try to meet half way to where you still have a good reverb going, but it's also a little less far back sounding.

Same thing with the reverb on the chorus guitars. I don't think it makes it sound better because it's a little too much. I think if you backed off just enough it would sound even better. It sounds good as is if that's the way you want it, keep it. It's up to you, but I think it could be better. That's just my opinion though :D

I agree with the others about the drums, but I'm sure when you add in the vox that it'll fill in that extra distance in the snare. If not, I would probably cut back on the snare and let the overheads or ambience/cymbal tracks take care of the verb.

I like the sound. When the song picks up at :55, the guitars are consistently ahead of the drums, and it throws the rhythm off. I kind of like the reverb on the drums, but it is quite thick. Probably wouldn't hurt if you pulled it back a bit. I like to hear vocals on this one. Great sounds, man.

Agree with most of the above - very 80's feel. After the (Radiohead "Creep") kerchunk guitar, signaling the heavy bit & I think the drum sound is too soft because of the verb. Good sound tho.

SWEET!! I love how it sounds. Like everyone said, it has a nice 80's sound to it. I like the tone of guitar on 0.59. I'm curious as to how the melody would sound. You definitely seem to have a good grasp on music theory and sound mixing.

Unlike some, and this is just personal and subjective, I dont like too much reverb. "If" you didnt want the 80's sound I would go easy on the reverbs.

From the first snare hit, I thought I was listening to Eddie Money. Not my taste, but if you like it go for it...it just sounds a little dated.

Also, agree with the guitars sounding ahead of the drums. When I first listened I couldn't put my finger one what was wrong with the rhythm at that point, but I think PoeticIntensity nailed it.

Back