New phase

Jack Simpson

I ordered some awesome stuff today from 8th street. MY FIRST SM-57, 2 ECM8000's, AT PRO25 kick mic, cables and stands, and a behringer mixer. I think I have entered a new phase, much more exciting phase of recording. I returned my Radio Shack omni's and am ready to get all of this cool stuff. I am a little pissed about buying everybody's mics. But if I don't buy it, they NEVER will. I am only 16 in a small town with hardly no musicians. I can play drums as well as guitar and bass so I can mess around and make up my own stuff. Working individually is much easier. Would someone who has been through the phase of your FIRST SM-57 and ECM's and all of that tell me what I have to look foward to.

when i was 16 i didnt know what a sm57 was.....

you are very lucky and should be very excited...im excited for you.....

Thanks, some people buy expensive things for their cars, some buy collectables. But for me, the first time I played guitar (5yrs ago) I knew that was it. No question about it. When I recently got a 4-Track machine, I had to learn everything about it, I am still in that long, complicated, neverending but great stage. Anyway, when I get these mics and stuff, I have a bathroom with a good natural echo in it that I would like to record a clean guitar in. I was thinking about putting one of the ECM's in the center of the bathroom (it is square) up high. Will this produce a rich deep reverb?

it wouldnt hurt to try...the beauty of home recording is the ability to experiment without the meter running.......

The 57 will give you most of the meat in your sound. Use the ECM's for added high end clarity and room tone. You can have fun with stereo micing also.

Just move stuff around and record a lot of trials until you are familliar with the equipment before undertaking your "real" recording projects.

Back