New PC , Sound card with PRE, or no Pre and DI with a mixer?

socalledsin

Hey hey hey. I'm putting together a new pc strictly for recording. It's a 2.6 p4 with 256 ram (ill throw in some more later) 160gig at 7200 rpm. I will be using sonar 4 for recording. I've read a lot of posts and info on some sound cards and need a bit more help in choosing. I don't really plan to record more than one thing at a time, so I dont want to overkill and spend a lot for something ill never use. I currently have the usb m-audio mobilepre, but its just not gonna cut it anymore. Tho i do like how i can plug a guitar straight into it, record dry, and then use amplitube or guitarrig to shape the sound. I also need something with a mic input like the mobilepre has. So my real question is what would be my best setup without spending a ton on stuff i wont really use. Should i go with something like the Audiophile 2496 with the Behringer GI100 Ultra G DI and a Yamaha MG102 Mixer? That seems like a lot just to get a good clean guitar or vocal. Or could i slash the price of that and just go with something with a built in preamp? And if i do get something with a built in pre do i still need the DI? The Mixer? I just want to record guitar and vocals (not even at the same time) as clean as i possibly can. The mobilepre is usb and maxes out at 48khz, will upgrading to 96khz be enough or should i save up and go 192khz? Sorry for the long post, your opinions mean a lot to me tho. You guys are great. Thanks!

socalledsin said:
Should i go with something like the Audiophile 2496 with the Behringer GI100 Ultra G DI and a Yamaha MG102 Mixer? That seems like a lot just to get a good clean guitar or vocal.

$100 for the audiophile
$35 for the DI box
$95 for the mixer

Doesn't get much cheqper than that

socalledsin said:
Or could i slash the price of that and just go with something with a built in preamp? And if i do get something with a built in pre do i still need the DI? The Mixer? I just want to record guitar and vocals (not even at the same time) as clean as i possibly can.

You're not really going to save much. Some standalone preamps have Hi-Z inputs for guitar DI, some don't. The MG10/2 has 4 preamps, phantom power, plus a lot more versatile than a standalone pre.

socalledsin said:
The mobilepre is usb and maxes out at 48khz, will upgrading to 96khz be enough or should i save up and go 192khz? Sorry for the long post, your opinions mean a lot to me tho. You guys are great. Thanks!

Don;t worry about 192. 24/96 is plenty good

sin. as an alternative check around the net on various forums on the
track counts folks are getting with high end athlons and even AMD 64's if you got the bucks. some people are very happy campers with the a64.
very very fast processor. also for audio drives with 8mb caches are
another point to consider.
please do yourself a favor and dont run with less than 512 ram.
peace.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was actually planning to build a pc with an athlon as well as a minimum of 512 ram, but i came across a deal i couldnt turn down on the p4. Ive decided to definately go with the audiophile. I'm debating now wether to go GI100 or DI100 as they are the same price at zzounds.com. I'm also thinking about the Behringer UB1204FX Pro cause its not much more expensive. And bulls your right, if i wanted to go any cheaper id stick with my mobilepre. 240 bucks is nothing if it gives me the sound i want. As usual you guys rock, thanks for the help :)

Back