<--new owner of 424. I needs some help!

Cobra67

I just bought a Tascam424. I have ZERO experience recording (other than boombox in center of room-hehehe). I'm not real interested in making demo-quality stuff yet but just something to listen to. I have REALLY cheap ass mics (Nady Starpower 9--but hey at $9.99 each, who cares?) I'm TOTALLY into recording the whole band playing live. Now I'm not totally sure how to use the 5th and 6th channel, but these were my plans: One mic for vocals. One mic in front of the rhythm guitar amp. One in front of the lead guitar amp. One in front of the bass amp. And two for the drumset which I'd just position to get the best possible sound for this crappy method which I employ. IS ANY OF THIS POSSIBLE!?!?!?

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Also is it possible to send the finished product to my computer. Not necesarrily to edit but just to put on a WAV file maybe and burn to CD?

I also apologize ahead of time for the stupid questions! :)

I came from exactly where you are...I got a 424MKIII and I wanted to do just what you are doing. Well, after playing around with stuff I found the most suitable method. As for channel 5 and 6 go, all I know is that they are line level channels, meaning you have to use the 1/4" inputs. I think you CAN set the channels to get input from XLR 1 - 4, but if you're already using those inputs...then...That's all I can tell you about em. Oh, and obviously you can't do Direct record from them, so you have to pan em left or right to record onto one of the tracks. I guess I would say use 5 & 6 for drums. Now, as for live recording...yeah, it sounds good at first. BUT it's a pain in the ass in the long run. One, everything has to be hooked up all at once. Two, you're recording 6 sources onto 4 tracks...this means you're going to have to do all/much of your EQing up front and put two or more sources onto one track. This eliminates the option to re-EQ something later. Example, bass and drums (both inputs) onto track 4. A few days later after listening to the mix, you decide the bass is too quite and not deep enough...too late! See what I'm saying? Now this holds true with recording each source seperately, but when you're doing that, you have more time/leeway/control over what's going where and how it sounds. You're most likely going to want to put both guitars onto one track, since the sound and EQing is pretty identical with two guitars...a lot of people (with 4 tracks) put drums and bass on the same track, vocals of course get their own...that gives you one free track. OK, now split bass and drums, or guitar and guitar? It's up to you...

As far as equipment needed...well...of course you're gonna want the ever-popular Shure SM57s (one for each guitar amp). But, you don't have to do that. You could always plug the amp direct into the 424...WARNING WARNING WARNING. Do not do this unless the amp has SPECIFICALLY a "Line Out" jack...Headphone, External Speaker, etc. will not cut it...and you'll regret it. You might even wanna put a direct box between the amp and the console. I personally like using this method, mainly cause I cannot get that guitar sound I want with a mic'd amp (maybe I just need more patience. For bass, the most common method is just plug the bass (not necessarily the amp) into a direct box and then to the 424. It eliminates the need for the bass amp, and you'll most likely get a better, thicker sound this way, plus save $100+ for a seperate bass mic. HOWEVER, many people report excellent results using an Art Tube MP (mic preamp with a tube) as a bass direct box...makes sense. It adds warmth to the already deep tone. That's gotta be good. Also, the Tube MP comes in handy for vocals, especially on cheaper mixers like the 424's built in one. Drums? Two overheads is all you can really have with that 424 doing it live. Two RODE NT1s if you are on a budget ($169 each from zzounds.com, cheapest you'll find em). Vocals? Well, do you HAVE to do em live? If you can compromise, record all the music at once, then vocals last. At least you won't have everything leaking onto the vocal track. For the vocals, use a RODE NT1, and an Art Tube MP if you get one. This is a more tedius and expensive project than I ever imagined...it takes time, patience, and of course musical talent :) Let me know what you think of this...Don't overlook recording everything seperately. If you guys are just recording a song for fun, all you need is a condensor (Rode NT1 as I suggested) or 2 sitting in the middle of the room, or about...that'll pick everything up. For recording a demo, you're going to want to record seperately. Trust me, this is what I ended up doing with my band.

And yes, it is possible to dump the song to the computer. What you need is a WAV file recording program, and a 2 RCA to single 1/8" cable (you can find these most anywhere). Plug the two RCA cables into the 424's Line Out, and into the computer's Line In, set Windows Sound Properties to record from Line In (instead of Microphone which is the default), hit play, and record on the computer.

Let me know if you need anything else! Sorry about the long message :)

The Glenn Brewton Technique!

Hi,

Well, I can tell you a technique that worked for us when I first started 4 trackings (in the mid-late 80's)

I give you The Glenn Brewton 4-Track Technique

We used :
3 Cardioid Radio Shack Microphones.(look like 58's)
1 Tascam Porta-One.(No effects sends)
1 Coustic 10-band home stereo EQ.
1 JVC 7-band Homestereo EQ.
1 Pioneer Tube Spring Reverb bought at a yardsale for $20
2 Radio Shack 4 channel Mixers

We completely tuned the drumkit to sound the best through a pair of mics on the OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM.
Here was the signal flow: Stereo Mics, RS 4 channel mixer, 7-band Eq, Atereo Reverb unit, 4-track inputs 1 & 2.

We just made sure that the drums sounded great on tape.
Then we had the drummer(me) play with the bass player(my brother) and we worked on the way the bass sounded in relation to the drums (No mic placement-we moved the amp around and chnaged EQ settings-altering the SOURCE of the sound instead of moving the mics.
Once we had that where the Bass and the Drums sounded really good together going through those 2 mics, then we did the same thing with Guitars.

So we built the "soundstage" (or stereo placement) depending upon where we put the amps, and how they were EQ'd.

Then we made some test tapes. They thing that was lacking on the test tapes was the Kickdrum wasn't thumping they way everyone wanted. My Kit sounded better tuned a bit tighter in relation to the bass guitar-so I had tuned the kit "up", instead of down-because the Kick and bass guitar were fighting for dominance in thw low end-so I let the bass player have the low end he wanted, and tuned into a higher register.

So, we added a mic to the kick drum.
This mic went through one of the radio shack mixers, then into 1 side of the 10-band eq, to which we cut most of the mids-and used it to give the kick a little more "slap and thump".

We got the whole band onto 2 tracks with this manner.
The 2 room mic's were panned hard left and hard right.

That left us 2 tracks for vocals.

The whole band sang- so we tracked Lead vocals with background vocals on the same track, and then went back and added the last track of background vocals-to which we had raised the speed of the 4 track from center, to a little fast-this track we recorded with reverb on it.
Then, when we played the tacks back-we set the recorders speed in the middle again.

It Gave us a super "THICK" background vocal track.

Now, for the above to work-They band hs to realize that there is no "I" or "ME" in the word BAND.
You do what works best FOR THE SONG and THE BAND.

You have to be tight, and I mean TIGHT! because the entire band is tracking at the same time-any mistakes means the band has to re-record the song.

We spent month's working on this, and to tell you the truth-I learned more about sound and recording doing this, than i did taking Recording classes in college!

These tapes sounded really good.
I no longer have copies-but wish I did, because our singer at the time, Glenn Brewton, was my best friend from the time we were 15 until he died last year at age 31. (Pancreatic Cancer. The doctors got rid of the cancer, but the damned Chemo-therapy they used killed him 6 months later....)
Glenn was the one who suggested that recording technique after reading about Phil Spector and the "Wall of Sound".

So I have to give him credit for suggesting it.

Also, I want to not that we only used the Graphic EQ's for CUTTING frequencies-not boosting them. We just cut them a few decibels in the mid range of the music tracks, so that The Vocals would sit well in that region.
When Our lead Guitarist went to solo, he clicked on an Ibanez Ton Booster, that boosed the lead just a little bit.

Yes you can record your tapes into a PC.

Look around for some Stereo Audio recording software.
However, if you have to BUY software-just get Ntrack!
It's $45 bucks online, and it's a Muiltitrack software, so that you could do a little "editing" to clean up your tracks.

Tim

Back