New Original Metalcore Mix

AntWise

Hi guys

Here is my latest song i have recorded at home using the 6505+ in revalver, quad tracked with a couple of internal tweaks!

Could you let me know what you think of the mix as a whole?

unfortunately there is no vocals at the moment...im looking for people to jam with!....anyone from Guildford??

https://soundcloud.com/anthony-wise...oundcloud.com/anthony-wiseman/tune-3-8-2-2013

Thanks! Let me know if you have any stuff you want another set of ears to listen to!

Sadly, I've gotta say that this tune has exactly the same problems as the previous one did. Drums sound washy and basically suck the power out of the song. Guitars sound muffled, too. Now, this would be okay, if there was a more prominent instrument or vocal that was clear, because the focus / spotlight would have somewhere to go. As this is, the spotlight doesn't have anywhere to shine. Work on clarity, man.

Thanks for sharing.

I'd say I'd try do do some EQ'ing to get those drums to cut through better. The snare seemed too much in the background. Just my two cents. I'm a noob though, so take my advice with a grain of salt, lol.

Turn everything down and get rid of that limiter. The compression on the track is making some of the drum hits sound weird and I'm sure it's altering the tone of the whole track. On your sound cloud you have "As I lay dying" as a tag, so I decided to listen to a bit of them on YouTube. Their bass, kick, and guitars are all thinner than yours and that's why they don't have a muddy sound. After you turn everything down and remove the limiter go through all your tracks and high pass them if you haven't already and then cut low mids from your bass drum and bass. Make sure you listen carefully, so you're not taking out important frequencies, but if you find that by cutting it you're not altering the tone of that instrument then cut away. Now you should have space for the low end of your snare drum. Try boosting it towards the lower end of it's frequency range to bring out that woody tone. Then look at the upper mids and find that white noise tone and cut it. After that if you want to limit it a bit you can, but do about half of what you're doing now. All that limiting is destroying the mix. The cymbals sound like they're going in reverse.

That's great! Thanks for detailed response! I'll take a look at the weekend try and put those tips into practice! I think all my tracks are pretty much only high passed to the basic 60hz so ill play around with that and try to clear it up a bit! Thanks again.

Ya there is definitely something wrong with the guitar tone (Not the recording), but it sounds like it can be fixed with some EQ and lowpass. The breakdown towards the end almost sounds like an oldschool midi song

Back