New One

Jags

www.ampcast.com/jags

It's called 'Stop Me', about 5.3Mb worth. I think it's got some of my best singing. It's my first shot at recording acoustic guitar through a mic (sm58) and i tried to get it to sound as close to the what a professionally recorded acoustic sounds like, but it's not perfect 'cos i don't have a clue how to go about it properly. For the most part they are double tracked and panned hard.

I don't have monitors so no doubt it's all wrong, but i can't tell until i burn it onto CD and play it on my hifi. I am thinking of maybe adding some acoustic solo's or something in some places but i'm still undecided about it.

Can anyone tell what was different about the guitar i was playing?

Thanks

Jags

Hey Jags, great job. The mix and the acoustics sound good to me. I don't know what's different about the acoustic, maybe an open tuning? I like the way the song breaks in, and the effect on your voice that comes in. Are you still playing bass on a tuned down guitar, I think that is really cool. You write really epic tunes!

macle

Thanks a lot macle. Yep, the bass is still an ordinary acoustic. The tuning is standard, but the G string is missing which allows me to play open chords down the neck which otherwise would sound terrible. I actually wrote the song right after i broke the g-string on my guitar and didn't have any spares, so i just played about with it, just a lucky coincidence.

Having listened to it on my stereo i think that the vocals might be a bit too quiet and also the acoustic guitar at the intro, but i think that is more an issue to do with fitting in with the other songs on an EP i'm making, not sure.

Thanks for listening, i tried to download your song the other day and it didn't work for some reason, i'll try it on another computer tonight.

Jags

That's interesting about the G string. You may have started something. The accoustic guitar sounded a little funny to me but I wouldn't know how to go about fixing it. I struggle to record accoustic guitars myself and now that you mentioned the G string thing that may explain some of it. The vocal performance was very good and I liked the dry in your face snare up against the rest of the song. Sounded good. I would like to hear just a touch of ambience on the vocals just to hear how it sounds, not sure if I would like it on not but I think it would be something I would try then decide if it sounds good. Once the rest of the music started, the accoustic fit in well and didn't sound funny anymore. I think this song would grow on me, it's very goodfrom a songwriting and originality standpoint. I'm gonna listen a few more times. Great job

Ray J

Yeah, I definitely like it, and I really like that unorthodox groove you have going when the bass and drums kick in

Nice work

Thanks RayJ, I have mixed it a bit better since (so much so that my brother has asked me to do some producing for him, wow!), increased the volume of the vocals a tad, i'm a bit unsure about adding reverb to them because everytime i try it it seems to just make it sound a bit too atmospheric if you know what i mean. I think i'll have a play about with it to see if i can get a good sound, like you said, there's no harm in trying.

I'm thinking about adding some electric guitar maybe to give it a bit more variety in the build up a bit, nothing big, just some clean strums or something, do you think it would add anything or should I leave it?

It's really good to know that you liked it, i guess that gives me incentive to keep going;).

Jags

hey, great sounding tune.
my thought is that the snare could be just a tad bit lower in the mix, but everything else was great!!!
nice job!!!

I tried to take a listen

I went to your page an did not see Stop Me anywhere?
Is it down for now? let me know when it is back up.

Haha, sorry FS, I decided to change the name of it the other day and totally forgot that it'd affect this! The new name is 'look out from the inside', should be the one at the top. Thanks very much for trying;).

Jags

Back