New one... with voice acting... haha! "Running with Enemies". Mix comments please.

Teddie

New one... with voice acting... haha! "Running with Enemies". Mix comments please.

Folks,

I did this song after watching that movie with Clooney... I think the movie was called oh brother where art thou... it's pretty dang funny and it's got alot of good music... kind of motivated me to make a song... loosely based on the imagery of the movie (not really the story at all)... I think based in the 30's or 40's.. That old look to it...

Anyway, the song is called "Running with Enemies" and you can find it here: http://mp3.com/smartapple

I dig this song... Actually my wife digs this song alot which surprised me because I did some weird shyte that I don't usually do and she usually likes to tease me...

The voice acting in the beginning is me with a tiny bit of pitch shift...

Basically I just wanted to do some weird stuff in this song and I did... Just wanted to be a little silly...

Definitely gimme some mix comments... this is the first mix of the song... The one thing I think needs to be done that I just noticed tonight is the first part of the guitar solo.... I really didn't notice until my wife turned down the stereo in her car when the solo kicked in... Maybe a touch too loud... (if you listen to the lo-fi version, it will be really loud... and noticable when the second part of the solo kicks because the second part is stereo and the lo-fi version of the song is a mono-stream)...

Thanks as usual folks...
Teddie

I'm not sure that I hear the O Brother Where Art Thou influence, but I do like the song and the mix. Perhaps the vocal is a little too loud, although I do like the growling quality. What do you use to record your vocals?

LI, eh, I dunno... The movie had some really good music in it -- got me motivated... have you seen it? When I wrote the song, I just had that old backwoods 1930's 1940's sepia stuff on my brain. The song really didn't have anything to do with the movie, but my mood came from the movie.

Which vocals did you think were too loud? The very begining verses?

I'm using an SM-57 into a tube-mp plugged into my soundcard.

Thanks for the comments. Let me know about which vocals were too loud.

Ted, Nice tune, I like what you went into around 2:41 and the subsequent solo that followed. Very Smart Apple sounding and very good. Maybe the first half of the solo was a bit hot levelwise but I'm not really sure. I'm having a nice time listening to some of your other stuff right now. You have quite an impressive body of music on your page. You're very 'musical' for lack of a better term.

Ray J, hey brah. Thanks very much. Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. The level is a little hot on that first solo part. I'm going to take it down a little on the next mix.

I'm hoping to get a little more feedback from folks about the song so I'll have a batch of things to fix when I remix.

If anyone else has any comments or advice, please let me know.

SMART APPLE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved it!!!

Everything works in this tune.....The lyrics, arrangement, mood, instrumentation, trademark Smart Apple harmonies and sonic surprises!

....sounds like you finally broke out that wah-wah:D

As far as mix comments: A little more clarity on the verse vocal and the beginning part a little closer level wise to the main body of the song. But even if you leave things as they are....I LIKE THIS SONG!!!!!.....A LOT!!!!!!

BTW....how'd you track the wah-wah?

MAC2, thanks bro. Hey, I like using that Bad Horsie wah... My wife got that for me for Christmas 2 years ago and I've only used it twice... once for "Breath Like Water" and then for "Running with Enemies". I'm going to fix those vocal levels in the main verses the next time I remix this thing...

Now that I read your post again, did you mean the level of the voice acting needs to come up?

My wife also suggested to me that I do the rapcore part a little grittier, or meaner... I have to agree with her... because, well... cuz she'll kick my as$ if I don't. Just kidding. But I'm thinking about re-rapping that part...

Glad you like it.. I'll keep you updated about the remix.

Back