New one from the band a lil Toolish for those who are interested.

Ninja_Drummer

Hey guys, just finished up a new song from my band. This is one of our more Tool inspired songs and it was so difficult for me to get the drum tracks right @.@ I don't know how many takes I had to do till I was satisfied lol.

Song is called Clash of the Titans

Clash of the Titans by Ninja_Drummer on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Enjoy!! Feedback is appreciated.

Here are the lyrics, pretty lengthy but it was fun writing them

Clash of the Titans
By Empty Mile
--------------------------------------------

Verse 1:
Giants fighting
Men fighting
Innocent seeking
All have the same fate
Writer writing
Bright light blinding
Children crying
The end comes today

Bridge:
And before my eyes
A horrific sight
There's nowhere to hide
It's only a matter of time

Chorus:
The tensions climb high
Nations all decline
All prepared to fight
Clash of Titans all in line!

Verse 2:
Tyrants lying
Servants trying
Spectators seeing
Nothing left to say
Chains binding
Bonds confining
Resistance mounting
All that's left is hate

Bridge:
And before my eyes
A horrific sight
There's Nowhere to hide
It's only a matter of time

Chorus:
The tensions climb high
Nations all decline
All prepared to fight

*Instrumental break

Verse 3:
Rebels striving
Blood boiling
Ago-nizing
Dead where they lay
Masses piling
Tyrants rising
Giants rising
The cycle begins again

*Instrumental break

(Clash of titans in Line) x4

Verse 4 (reiteration of Verse 1):
Giants fighting
(clash of titans in line!)
Men fighting
Innocent seeking
(Nations all decline)
All have the same fate
Writer writing
Bright light blinding
Children crying
(nations all decline!)
The end comes today

Chorus Outro:
The tension climb high
Nations all decline
All prepared to fight

I think the bass played a slightly off note in the intro.
Not enough effects in the intro for my ears.
The big diff between what you're aiming for & what you have is that the vocals are indistinct. Maynard goes for buried vox but they are distinct & decipherable. These aren't.
Your shaken a good fist in the right direction though.

+1 on the off-key bass in the intro.

The vocals are pretty pitchy once you get past the whispered part too. Some of the delivery seems a bit rushed too, especially the last line of the chorus.

I like the piano interlude. That's a good contrast.

Thanks for the feedback guy. I might add some plugins or fx to the guitar intro rayc, I felt it was a lil empty myself. I've also fixed the vocals a little more so that they're a little more clear to understand.

Sorry about the weird vox, it was my lead guitarist and me trading off on singing chorus and lead vox since our singer is no longer with us.

Hey, Ninja......whenever I record something and mix it, i reach out to others for feedback and hope they will be brutally honest with me (good or bad).......so I feel compelled to be brutally honest with you:

The performance: The vocals need a bunch of work......as u mentioned, your singer is no longer with you guys.....so, getting a singer that can do the job is a must. ....the bass is a bit off at times as well.

The mix: the overall mix has too much low end....use some EQ to roll-off (high-pass filter) at around 30Hz for your bass and kick drum........that should clean things up a bit for you.....if you need some low end added back in, just add it gently back in down to about 25Hz.

The vocals are too low and need to be brought up more.......they're not loud enough.

The guitar sounds a little small.....not terrible though.......it sounds like it wasn't mic'd properly.....the tonal balance isn't quite right.. ......If you mic'd it, i would spend more time on getting the right mic placement on your amp/cabinet.....don't rely too much on EQ plugins to fix the tonal balance.....try hard to get it correct during the recording stage.

Misc: the song title is cheesy. :(

Now for the good stuff.......the song is very interesting......it sounds like you/band are very creative......and i think the song has potential to be very good.....this is the reason why i even bothered writing this reply. ......despite my criticisms above, i actually really enjoyed the song.

I'd really like to hear this with a true vocalist and some mixing tweaks.

P.S. I'm not an expert in mixing and i'm still learning to improve my own skills......but i've spent the last 3 years working hard at learning mixing/production techniques to improve my own skill-set........i offered the criticisms above because i hear a lot of mistakes in your mix that i have made myself...

The great thing is that the cons are not too difficult to fix.....the most difficult part is creating something that's interesting and enjoyable to listen to.....that part you've done well. :)

So, to close things out, i'd like to say: stay creative and keep up the good work! :)

Yes I really do appreciate feedback such as yours prog as that is crucial to the growth of a striving mixing engineer. And probably is the key point to why us amateur engineers come to this forum in the first place.

As for the low end, I've noticed that and have already fixed that issue, I'll probably post an updated mix as soon as I feel I am satisfied enough to do so. My monitors don't have too much bass response on them so it is hard sometimes to discern if I'm getting enough sometimes.

As for the guitar, the guitarist was going through a line pod so it doesn't have that crunch or warmth that going miced has. I myself felt that the guitar doesn't have enough crunch and punch to it so that is what I'm currently trying to work around.

Like I said about the vox, they have already been resolved and brought out a bit more in the mix.

I'll post an updated mix pretty soon.

nice punchy song. well orchestrated.

i have to agree on the vocals though, for one thing they're not nearly loud enough but maybe that's intentional. i'm in the same boat as far as needing a better singer than myself.

Drums are difficult to get right, but they are relativly easy in the grand scheme... Unless you're recording them live? In which case, "God be with you..." The vocals "suck?" I mean they are not recorded well, and they are preformed badly. But other than that? They are excellent!

The high snare sound is fine for the song BUT it has no power whereas the snare once the song gets going has more meat & bite.
The vox need a fair bit of work.

Drums are difficult to get right, but they are relativly easy in the grand scheme... Unless you're recording them live? In which case, "God be with you..." The vocals "suck?" I mean they are not recorded well, and they are preformed badly. But other than that? They are excellent!
Yes, the drums a recorded live, are you saying that they were bad? I'm aware of the vocal issue, sadly it is something I cannot really fix until we get an actual dedicated singer.

The high snare sound is fine for the song BUT it has no power whereas the snare once the song gets going has more meat & bite.
The vox need a fair bit of work.

Never did really notice too much wrong with the snare, I didn't want TOO much pop but I'll look into it.

Sounding better. Listen to prog-man's advice - he's gotch'ya covered on what you need. I'm liking it more and more as it progresses - Good song.

Audiowriter

Back