New Naiants just arived from the US

NightFlight

I Recorded some drums with the MSH mics that just arrived + SM57 and AT kick drum mic. I liked them a lot.

Here it is:

Edit - updated file:
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=11165

EQ is mostly flat, with a slight raise at 50HZ on the OHs, and minimal compression.

Please let me know what you think. How can I improve the sound?
Any tips, or critique welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I Recorded some drums with the MSH mics that just arrived + SM57 and AT kick drum mic. I liked them a lot.

Here it is:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=11155

EQ is mostly flat, with a slight raise at 50HZ on the OHs, and minimal compression.

Please let me know what you think. How can I improve the sound?
Any tips, or critique welcome.

Thanks!

Sounds quite nice! There's quite a bit of emphasis on the 2nd rack tom, and the patina of the room is apparent, but that's not necessarily bad. I like a little more whomp in my kick, but if it's a smaller drum, and playing the style you do, it's still completely appropriate as is. You play with passion and great style... What is your mic placement?

Bet you're loads of fun to play with, you got a nice, deep pocket and lots of unafraid ideas.

Thank's a lot Llarion. I liked your style of playing - both drums and bass.

Sometimes the toms sound too loud on this track. I don't know if it's the micing or playing. But I'll check!

Cheers.

Thank's a lot Llarion. I liked your style of playing - both drums and bass.

Sometimes the toms sound too loud on this track. I don't know if it's the micing or playing. But I'll check!

Cheers.

It sounds a lot more like you have a proximity mic up too high than it does uneven playing; your fill pattersd were uniform in general, and accented where you wanted...

BTW, the ideas aren't mine. It's a cover of a 80's song, originally played by a great drummer.

I'll try to remix this with less close-up mics, which are also Naiant omnis - miniature MSH-1s with gooseneck clamps.

I didn't know how this set up would sound, particularly in a half-treated room. There's a lot of bleed so I might have to check for phase cancelation.

Back