New Monitors

strmkr

Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a new set of powered monitors.I have narrowed the field down to two.The jbl lsr 25p and yamaha msp5.

I have not heard the Yamaha's,but had a chance to spend about 15 min. or so at a friend's studio listening to the jbl's,and they sounded pretty buff,although his room is a lot different than mine.

I would like to hear from anyone who is using these as to likes,dislikes etc.I know monitor selection is subjective to the tastes of the user,but I think I would value the opinion of someone who is using them day in and day out as opposed to some magazine reviewer that has his hands on them for one day.

Also,If anyone is using something else in the same general price range($500.00,give or take),I would like to hear from y'all as well

Thanks,and have a great day!

A lot of people rave about the JBL LSR25Ps, but I personally didn't like them. Only used them for about a day and a half and took them back.

My personal impression was that they had a big hump in the midbass which made them sound very boxy. The high end seemed to be very unatural and almost metalic sounding, and the imaging didn't seem stable either. Things that belonged in the middle were not quite focused, and things that belonged at the outside of the soundfield were too far outside. I played with placement and the adjustment switches for hours and couldn't get them to sound right to my ears. Only think I liked about them was they were well built, and very compact.

Ended up going with KRK V6s, which I loved from the first note. They sound real to me.

This has been a subjective statement, and does not reflect the view and opinions of the staff, management, or members of this board....Just me.

Back