New Monitors

puffin

Hey dudes!

This is my first post (a proud moment, indeed!) on what I call my "Digital Audiossey" (Get it? Get it?)

Anyhoo... After setting up my new audio PC, I will be investing in a pair of near-field powered monitors and shall be ambling down to my nearest music store this weekend.

My problem is this; I don't really know my ass from my elbow when it comes to these cos it is my first time listening. What should I be looking out for and how do I evaluate them in terms of sound? I have heard generally nice things about the Tannoy Reveals, so I shall be investigating them. What is "transparent sound"? and will the Reaveals fulfill my monitoring needs for a long time to come?

My other equipment consists of

A C1000s mic, Behringer mixer/preamp, Delta 66 soundcard if it is important...

Many thanks....

Welcome to the forum,
A good monitor is easy to find, first read all the reviews and eliminate all the ones you dont like. Get three choices and go to the store. Look for the one with real flat response, in other words it shouldn't boost Low, mid or high end. Look for that in your face punch.
Another easy way is to go down the store and listen to the best monitor ever available in that store. Like a Genelec 1030 or KRK V8 or Mackie HR824. Then play all the others and find the close sounding monitor in your budget. IF you haev a big budget you can get a pair in those 3 :)

Good advice, although ultimately depressing if you're on a budget.

Also, bring a CD that you've played a gazillion times. When you start hearing things on it you've never noticed before, you're hearing good monitors.

Don't be tempted by Alesis speakers. IMHO they are really lame.

Thanks guys.

I have been doing my research on this forum and the rest of the web. There are so many divergent opinions out there that it's hard to know what to buy. I guess it really is a personal taste thing. I just don't want my inexperience to lead me to a bad purchase...

i'll try to keep an open mind, though!

Be cool!

Steven

Todzilla said:
......Don't be tempted by Alesis speakers. IMHO they are really lame.

I would have made the same statement in the past, especially if we were talking about Monitor One's or Two's.

But...... I have the Mackie HR-824's and the Alesis M1 Active's. The M1 Actives are an excellent monitor.

I will post you some links to some articles and comparisons, when I log on with my desktop.

spin

Hey Spin!

I would love a pair of Genelic's or Mackies. I guess everyone at the beginner level would. Unfortunately I have limited funds. I am looking to spend no more than £400 GBP.

I have heard good things about powered Tannoy Reveals, although they have a weak bass if I remember correctly. What do you think of those?

The Alesis M1 does look very sleek, although I am unaware of them. I will have to do some more research. I tried to find a Yorkville dealer as I've heard you guys "big them up" but I can't seem to find one around here. That would also be a prob if something were to go wrong with them...

thanks in advance for the links, dude!

SPINSTERWUN said:
I would have made the same statement in the past, especially if we were talking about Monitor One's or Two's.

But...... I have the Mackie HR-824's and the Alesis M1 Active's. The M1 Actives are an excellent monitor.

spin

Spin, I will defer to your direct experience. Mine is with the Monitor Ones and Twos, both of which I thought were awful, as you implied.

FWIW, I have Audix 1A's that I like a lot.

Check out the Event TR5's... I just love mine... Real flat and they look bad assed. The Reveals are awesome too but to get the powered ones will run you like $800 The TR5's run about $300USD. Check 'em out, you won't be disappointed, especially for the price

samson 65a's over here 300 bucks and I enjoy them. i was thinking about the alesis mk2 actives but read reviews about them leaking or being defective and granted I'm quite sure the 6 complaints may have been isolated....i went with the samsons....I'm happy with my decision....still getting used to the idea of actually hearing every piece of a song though. its a weird feeling but all for the process of having mixes sound better. they are some big ol' fools. i had to move my mixer to the other side of the desk and move my rack to the night stand....lamp on the night stand went on top of the tv....manuals to all the new stuff I've been buying go into the closet but to a readily accesable place.

Back