new(?) Mixer for Sonar and Fostex vf160

kedman

HI
Just need some advice, I'm building a studio in the basement here in Cardiff wales.
I seem to have both Digital and analog here.
I have sonar 3 producer and a RME Digi adat soundcard with the added output card
(trs X 4 to drive the monitors and pc back into the desk)

I have an old 8 track desk that inputs into the Fostex vf160 then into the PC on adat.
I tend to use Soner for most of the work.

Can I get a digital desk that will interface with sonar? ( 16 track )

Problem is I find editing on the Fostex next to impossible.
The Fostex access's the PC on a lightpipe Toslink.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Bob

Two ADA8000's will give you 16 channels in and out of the RME via ADAT lightpipe.
You could then either do all the mixing within Sonar or use just about any decent 16 channel mixer for analog summing.
Another option to aid with mixing "in the box" would be with the use of a control surface.
As far as finding these items in Wales ...... :confused:

crankz1 said:
Two ADA8000's will give you 16 channels in and out of the RME via ADAT lightpipe.
You could then either do all the mixing within Sonar or use just about any decent 16 channel mixer for analog summing.
Another option to aid with mixing "in the box" would be with the use of a control surface.
As far as finding these items in Wales ...... :confused:

Hi Thanks for that, the BEHRINGERs look very good!
I use the Thomann store in The EU ( Not a lot in wales!)
Will allow me to use a nice analog desk!
Cheers
Bob

Yeah .... much to my surprise, I was side stage at a local concert for a band call Fragile Porcelain Mice and the guy tracking the set was using a Digi 002 rack along with an ADA8000.
He said that the pre's where quite transparent and about the only drawback to them was that they get a little noisy when the gain is cranked up over 75%. If your mics and source produce a decent signal, this isn't much of a problem.

Back