New mix contest (rock)

LemonTree

Suck 'em and see!
Would anybody out there be interested in a mix contest that focused around a whole 12 track album?

I've recently had to move and give up my studio, the last album recorded there was by a band called Soulcircus, it's 12 tracks, recoreded into cubase 5. Each song has about 20 tracks of drums, bass, 2 guitars, vocals and backing vocals. It's in the rock genre, I'll be looking for someone to grab the session folders from my dropbox account who has cubase 5/neuendo and can render the files out into a format where everyone can use them.

After that everyone will have artistic license to do what they do best with them. it'll mainly be a learning exercise for everyone involved but I do have a few prizes up for grabs in the way of microphones etc for what I think, or if we can get some judges on board.....what they think are the best sounding finished article as an albu on the whole.

It's a chance to play with a full album's worth of multitrack files and put your stamp on it, I'll be looking for someone with cubase5 first off to consolidate the files so everyone on any system can use them. Please reply back here if you are interested.

Alex

As a sample here's the album as mixed before my studio closed http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5560579/SOULCIRCUS.rar

Who's in?

I don't know that I have the time for an entire album...

but these are good practice...

and I do use Cubase 5...

and I do love prizes...

So...

Okay. I'm in for a couple. Or more. We'll see how I do.

Nice one strat, maybe it is too big a project to do a whole album, I thought it might be good practice for the HRDC community to get their teeth into. I kinda wanted to put something back in to the years of great information and experience I gained from this place. Some of the early mix contests set me on the road of mixing real drums for the first time and made me realise I was wasting my time programing beats in a basement.

If I can get someone to consolidate the tracks so they can be imported into any daw and line up we can maybe make the contest fly from there. Maybe let paople chose a track to mix from the album, have a prize for the best one and a better prize if anyone wants to take on the whole album?

I totally get it! I wish I had time for the whole thing--and I'll bet some folks will take on the whole thing. I love your motivation, and I agree with it. This is the best way to learn the art of mixing. I do well mixing my own stuff--but that's not good enough. That's why I'm game for trying some.

Do you still have cubase up and running? Because I like your idea of making it available to non-cubase users. A zip file with all the tracks for each song (pre-lined up at zero) would do the job nicely. If you need help getting them to that state, let me know. I'll help with that too.

Unfortunately I no longer have cubase and I just checked the hard drive, 12 songs coming in at just under 19 gig recoreded at 24 bit 44.1. It's a save to DVD's and postage thing from my end I think. There is no rush on this though, if we can get a couple of cubase 5 users I could post you a couple of DVD's each, the main thing is to let other HRDC members bet a bite at this.

Looking for some help to get this in a format everyone can use. I've subscribed to the thread but you can PM me also if you can help, anyone.

Got some ideas for prizes.. I have an sm57 I thought could go to the best individual mix, boxed n bagged with mic clip, I also have a studio projects B1 condensor (original one) with shockmount, some recording books and DVDs. I'm in the UK but will happily pay postage to the winner of each catagory. It's all about the site folks, I just wanna put back in some of what I've taken out and give you all something to build your skills on at the same time.

Alex

That would be nice for the whole album. am in for the contest. and i would have helped if by chance I had cubase. Ohh its nice to see we are from the same city 2....:cool:

I love these contests, and love mixing other peoples tracks. Don't know if I have time to do 12 tracks, but I'm in for sure.

Get them into a usable form, and I'll give a couple of them a shot. I may be home for another month sitting on my ass, so who knows what I will be able to accomplish...

i wanna play, im in need of experence...

just one thing, can someone send me a copy in the mail? it would take me at least a week to dl it...

I'm in, too. I don't have Cubase but if WhiteStrat could break it down into the raw tracks without any additional cleaning, I'd definitely give it a shot.

There's a 5GB limit with the free accounts on box.net so we could share it with 4 to 5 accounts. I'd donate 4 gig of my account. Kind of bittorrent, just done manually ;) I'm on a 30 mbit/s connection with I think about 2 mbit/s upload, so it should be doable. Strat, if you're doing this, just drop me a PM.

Cheers
Tim

Did this stall out? I am interested in taking a stab at the album.....especially with eye glazing promise of prizes!

This sounds like an awesome idea. I'd be interested in having a go, but judging various mixes of a whole album sounds like it's going to be a logistical nightmare!

heyyyyy, im on mobile net unfortunatly, 3 gig a month, so it would take 8 n' 1/2 months before i had the album, any chance we could have a stab at individual tracks? very interested, but just not practical for me lol

thanks, matt

Would anybody out there be interested in a mix contest that focused around a whole 12 track album?

I've recently had to move and give up my studio, the last album recorded there was by a band called Soulcircus, it's 12 tracks, recoreded into cubase 5. Each song has about 20 tracks of drums, bass, 2 guitars, vocals and backing vocals. It's in the rock genre, I'll be looking for someone to grab the session folders from my dropbox account who has cubase 5/neuendo and can render the files out into a format where everyone can use them.

After that everyone will have artistic license to do what they do best with them. it'll mainly be a learning exercise for everyone involved but I do have a few prizes up for grabs in the way of microphones etc for what I think, or if we can get some judges on board.....what they think are the best sounding finished article as an albu on the whole.

It's a chance to play with a full album's worth of multitrack files and put your stamp on it, I'll be looking for someone with cubase5 first off to consolidate the files so everyone on any system can use them. Please reply back here if you are interested.

Alex

As a sample here's the album as mixed before my studio closed http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5560579/SOULCIRCUS.rar

Who's in?

Is this I need an album mixed but can't be arsed to do it myself thread? :P lmao

Muzza

Back