New Mic Sample Test

joehempel

I got my MXL 990 today (not the most expensive, but the noise floor is UNBELIEVABLY LOW!! Much better than my Samson C02).

I wanted to try it out, so I just threw it on the Mic stand, but it behind the bridge about 12" away and recorded an acoustic guitar and classical guitar.

Ran it into my Zoom R16 and used some plugins for reverb and a touch of compression and shaping that's about it. Did it with Sony Soundstage 9b.

http://www.box.net/shared/klv0pnuy9m

I've got some Behringer C2's coming this week. I was sold after some samples from other users in other forums.

Good ol' Kansas. Haha. Doesn't sound bad but it doesn't sound amazing. It's a cheap mic, so I guess it's expected.

I guess for me I can't tell the difference in quality of mics, because until I get to the 800-1000 range of mics it all sounds the same, it's just a matter for recording technique and mixing/mastering. But as long as it doesn't sound bad them I'm okay LOL.

There is a VERY large difference in quality....and I mean going UP from my $150 matched pair to this $50 mic. The nose floor is noticeably lower from the first time I plugged it in. And the sound is much richer and I can get a hotter from my mixer.

I've noticed that because of that, I don't have to do hardly any processing to the file at all to get it to sound good. I will say I changed the reverb from the Classical guitar though, it wasn't sitting right with me.

I guess for me I can't tell the difference in quality of mics, because until I get to the 800-1000 range of mics it all sounds the same, it's just a matter for recording technique and mixing/mastering. But as long as it doesn't sound bad them I'm okay LOL.

There is a VERY large difference in quality....and I mean going UP from my $150 matched pair to this $50 mic. The nose floor is noticeably lower from the first time I plugged it in. And the sound is much richer and I can get a hotter from my mixer.

I've noticed that because of that, I don't have to do hardly any processing to the file at all to get it to sound good. I will say I changed the reverb from the Classical guitar though, it wasn't sitting right with me.

Okay, whatever works for you. I think with a little bit more processing it could sound better though. :D

Back