New mic purchase -- 414B-ULS

Picker

Well, I just went out and purchased an AKG 414B-ULS.

I’m just getting started w/ my home studio. Here’s what I have so far.

Computer w/ Delta 66/Omni Studio
16 channel Allen & Heath SR-series mixer (From the 80s)
Shure SM57
Shure SM58
Sennheiser 855

I was looking for my first LD condenser mic. After investigating I was looking at several and had just about settled on the AT 4050. Unfortunately, nobody (nearby) had one available to audition. I did audition the AT4040 and the AT 4033 as well as the BLUE baby bottle and a couple of others.

I was thinking that since this is my first LD mic, it might be useful to have multiple polar patterns for the mic, which led me to the 4050. The 414 came highly recommended to me as well, but cost about $800 whereas the 4050 was about $500.

Anyway, I went to the music store this morning and was talking to a salesman about different mics. He recommended the AKG 414 as the best “all around” mic. As an aside I asked for the price. $630.00 (plus tax it came to $670.00). At that price, I thought I really couldn’t lose (I hope). I jumped on it and now am the proud owner of a shiny (well it’s black, but you know what I mean) new AKG microphone.

Out of the Mics I tried on my vocals, the 414 was one of the best. It was very clear and had a flat but pleasant response..

Anyway I hope I’ve done the right thing. At the very least, I am hoping it will get me started for vocals and will prove to be a very versatile mic. That I can use for anything if I get a better vocal mic later.

Picker,

I own a 4050 but have used a 414 extensively. I would much rather have a 414. Acoustic guitar sounds great through it and a lot of vocalists do as well. Buy a second one for drum OH and youll be set.

Justin

I own a 4050, which is a really versatile mic for a lot of things. I like the AT40 series. But I also have a 414 on loan from a friend of mine. That's a really, really nice mic, and seemed to shine on just about anything I played near it. Congratulations, and congrats on a great price too!

Thanks for your kind responses. I felt pretty good about it, but it's nice to get some reassurance. I can't wait to try it out on my system... Will be getting home from work in about an hour.

Picker, that's a good deal if new!!! You will have that mic for a long time, good for just about anything.

T
Picker said:
Well, I just went out and purchased an AKG 414B-ULS.

I’m just getting started w/ my home studio. Here’s what I have so far.

Computer w/ Delta 66/Omni Studio
16 channel Allen & Heath SR-series mixer (From the 80s)
Shure SM57
Shure SM58
Sennheiser 855

I was looking for my first LD condenser mic. After investigating I was looking at several and had just about settled on the AT 4050. Unfortunately, nobody (nearby) had one available to audition. I did audition the AT4040 and the AT 4033 as well as the BLUE baby bottle and a couple of others.

I was thinking that since this is my first LD mic, it might be useful to have multiple polar patterns for the mic, which led me to the 4050. The 414 came highly recommended to me as well, but cost about $800 whereas the 4050 was about $500.

Anyway, I went to the music store this morning and was talking to a salesman about different mics. He recommended the AKG 414 as the best “all around” mic. As an aside I asked for the price. $630.00 (plus tax it came to $670.00). At that price, I thought I really couldn’t lose (I hope). I jumped on it and now am the proud owner of a shiny (well it’s black, but you know what I mean) new AKG microphone.

Out of the Mics I tried on my vocals, the 414 was one of the best. It was very clear and had a flat but pleasant response..

Anyway I hope I’ve done the right thing. At the very least, I am hoping it will get me started for vocals and will prove to be a very versatile mic. That I can use for anything if I get a better vocal mic later.

Yep, it's new.
Apparently, Washington Music (Chuck Levins) got a great deal from their AKG rep and they passed it on to us :D:D

I honestly didn't like the B-ULS that I tried. Seemed pretty harsh on a small string section. I can see it being useful, but it wasn't useful in the situation I was in when I had access to it.

The TLII, OTOH, I think is one of those do-all mics. Does lots of stuff...and well, too. Much smoother top. Think it's a really good sounding guitar mic, over the shoulder...

Back