New Metalcore Tune - *no vocals*

AntWise

Hi Guys!

Here is a new tune i have been working on during my free time!

iv started using revalver for guitars, this is the best tone iv managed so far.

Let me know what you think?

Im trying to learn as much as possible about what works and doesn't work within a mix so if you wouldnt mind letting me know some of the things that i could do better next time? that would be great!

im pretty much a noob here but if theres anything you want me to check out, feel free to hit me up!

Thanks for your help! :drunk:

Attachments

• New Tune 9_1_13 drums.mp3
    4.5 MB · Views: 33
I thought the playing was real good. I thought the guitars sounded OK.

My biggest nit would be in the overall balance of levels. The mix is all guitars. The drums and bass (if there is one) are covered up.

Other than that, I thought it was a good start.

Yup, I agree. Typical amateur metalcore mix - all the focus in on the brootalz of the guitars at the expense of everything else. The kick and bass is really lacking. Since guitars is really all there is, lets' talk about them. They sound ok. Not bad, not great. I think I'm hearing a blanket of mid fuzz in there somewhere that's typical of sims. Look in the mids and high mids and see if you can isolate the offending frequencies and gently notch em out. Just guessing here...I'd look in the 600-700 range and somewhere between 2500-4000. This will tighten up the guitar tracks and let the lows and highs pop out better.

Thanks for the reply!

i'm a guitar player, so i guess thats why the levels are messed up, I'm hearing what i wanna hear! :listeningmusic:
There is a bass track and when its muted you can tell a difference... ill boost it up a bit. Hopefully soon i can get some vocals on there, i find it easier to get levels right when guitars arn't the main focus!

thanks again!

the drums and guitars should switch in volume lol and i can hear the bass but it is a really metal sounding bass with way too much highs and not enough lows... sounds like another guitar.

the drums and guitars should switch in volume lol and i can hear the bass but it is a really metal sounding bass with way too much highs and not enough lows... sounds like another guitar.

Thanks a lot man, ill give it all a re-shuffle!
listening back, you're right about the bass...i can hear it, but all i can hear is the highs...chop those out and give the lows more of a boost!

should i just EQ out notches in the bass' high end or just low pass the shit out of it? :confused:

Retrack it in a way that wont result in you having to do anything "the shit out of it".

Gregs right on that one... but just to add to what is pretty much already said.... very seldomly do you want to shelf off the highs just to get more bottom end. the highs are what make instruments cut through a mix and be heard.... if you cut them all out it will just sound like mushiness.

best to do what greg said.

however with DI and Amp sims all you can really do is adjust your tone knob and output volume before it hits the track. bass is extremely important and often over looked because for whatever reason, people like to think bass doesnt matter and bass players are talentless and unimportant ... especially in metal... get to reggae and its another perspective :P

bass gives energy and power to the track... thats what you want.

with DI and Amp sims all you can really do is adjust your tone knob and output volume before it hits the track.

Yea, I guess I'm stuck with that respect. My bass is just a cheap one as well. At least with amp sims you can keep tweaking away with your sound without having to re track every time. You can't polish a turd but you can cover it with sugar sprinkles!

Awesome playing man! I am a fellow metal guitarist and dig this kind of stuff. If you need vocals for it send me a message

The guitar sound is pretty good. The drums and bass are buried beneath the guitars though. Also I think the panning of the guitars is too radical. You seem to have one guitar panned hard right and the other hard left and they're playing two very different parts. The quick muted rythum chops on one guitar sounds good and compliments the other guitar part but when it's panned all the way it makes it sound like the speaker it cutting in and out. I like the guitar work. Very nice chops.

Hey guys! Thanks so much so all the replies...I haven't checked back here for a while, I thought it would of died by now! Thanks for the compliments, very appreciated!

Jimistone - I have quad tracked the guitars so I have two guitars panned R and L 100% and two more at about 80%.

I'm a noob to recording also, but from a listeners standpoint I thought your guitar playing was really good. I'm not really into too much metalcore anymore, but I once was, and this is the type of song that would have got me really stoked at one point in time. Good job!

Back