New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hey everyone, I’m 33 and in Florida. I played in a bunch of bands back in college and had a record label. I’m starting to get back into the hobby of recording some tunes. Hope to contribute here!

Waving 'Hi' From The Smoky Mountains

Hi folks, Tommy here in the Smokies of TN. I look forward to learning from the collective wisdom on the HomeRecording forum. I'm an old southern rock band drummer who found his way back to music after a 5 decade absence. :eek: My first one-man-band rock CD album was released last week as an indie and I had a ball making it at home but it was a ton of work with a steep learning curve after being away from music/recording for so long. It can be heard free here on Soundcloud: menu Cheers--see 'ya around the forum!

tommybumpous2.jpg

Hey guys. I've been a guitarist for several years, but I'm only now getting into producing as a necessity. I'm looking ot learn as much as possible as I can about recording in as short a time as possible, as a friend and I would like to start a dream pop project. Trying to find all the resources I can, so if there are any particularly good learning tools, I'd love to know about them.

Hello Everybody!

I'm an old-school prog rock, rock-in-opposition, avant guarde dinosour. I did tascam 4-track cassette recording many years ago and recently picked up guitar and other instruments again and bought a Spire studio just to jot down ideas and record quick demos.

I plan to move to a full DAW/inexpensive studio set-up and record using electronic and acoustic instruments including guitar, sitar, oud, pipa etc. as well as found sounds in an attempt to create something new that expresses what I hear in my head. I will need all the help I can get and would love to collaborate in future years with like minded people. I look forward to learning and eventually contributing.

Cheers!

Bill (Buddhabreath)

Welcome Buddhabreath..........you came to the right place!! The members of this forum are very savvy.....experienced and friendly. Ask away!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to all new members. Some of us are old school grumpy old men that are set in our ways. Some new school looking for new ways to do things. Some of us are in between. Either way we all learn from each other.

:)

Hi folks, I joined the forum on Monday but just found this thread. I'm James Griffiths, mainly a guitarist writing instrumental prog-ish rock under the name Jyemz. I also play guitar in an online heavy/hard rock band called BJZ, and have recorded a CD in a folk-ish duo called Nettlesmith. Been recording at home since about 1982 and always looking to improve so I'll be posting some tunes for critiques. Looking forward to getting to know the gang here, already heard some great music!

Hi guys,

New here, new to recording. I’m from Australia, just hoping to learn a lot for the time being. If I get good at this, maybe I can help others!

Hello, I'm brand new here. I'm into lo-fi and mid-fi recording and do all of my work on a Tascam 488 8-track cassette recorder. Looking forward to contributing.

Hi. I'm Ken Nilsen from Fredrikstad, Norway. I just found this place, thanks to Jyemz/James Griffiths :cool:
I "sing" in BJZ, as welll as write music, play guitar, some keys, bass, and drums. I also try to mix some of it.
I've been doing home recording since about '98.
Also been fortunate to get to play some cool places around Europe :guitar:
All the best.

Hey everybody! I'm a total noob who once was very active in solo composing/recording, but took more than a decade off to raise a family. I'm older now, the kids are adults and mostly gone and I make electric guitars.

Lately I've been itching to compose and record. Fair warning: I'm no Steely Dan nor Herbie Hancock but its hard not to record hooks or lyrics that just pop into one's head.

Ten years is a long time. More like fifteen! I have a Korg D1600, less than 50 guitars and bases and am assembling a drum kit though i don't play drums lol. I also have low serial number Ibanez pedals and a B52 tube amp and two Yamaha Motif synths and a Boss JS-5 jam station drum machine and more adapters and cables than a man who DOESN'T record has the right to own. Also bought Tannoy monitors for payback and double cassette deck for demos no one will ever hear lol! Some Shure SM-57s are rolling around and a Shure KSM-27 cardio that always sounded tinny for $300 and the obligatory shotgun mike that had good sound for a crap mike. Boss half rack Compressor and Reverb that you can hear breathing if you listen closely!

HAD recorded over 100 songs on a Tascam 244 back in the day. Thats when I had no money but a thirst to compose and record. Its AMAZING what one can down one is driven to record. The thirst is coming back to me: I'm actually reading the manuals. I never did that back in the 80's!

Question: Is the Korg D1600 a great platform or do I need a newer machina? I remember it to be confusing to use and had limited storage. I guess I can buy a terabyte or four drive that plugs right in, no? But is it worth it? And I could actually be patient and learn how to use the damn thing.

The holy grail for me would be a used 2"tape unit and a real 16 or 24 channel board, but this is a hobby, not a career choice!

I have some sweet guitars that need to be played. I also have some basses that would sing for me! I have a coffin guitar series that just booms: Women love symbols of death.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm dipping my toe back in the music world I lived in half a lifetime ago. To me, music is an avocation. You don't go into writing or playing to make money: Music compels you to engage with her. The sweet siren call of your Muse addicts you to song, or just put the damn guitar down and just walk away.

My Muse is calling, after all these years. What the heck do I tell her?

---------- Update ----------

Thank you all for reading this post! Any advice is good advice.

Hi, vramos11. If the Korg does what you need it to do, you're good :)
Use what feels right. Too many options can be overwhelming.
I use a pc, an Audio Interface (RME Uxc) and more than one DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), because I'm used to it.
All the best.

Last edited:
Hi, vramos11. If the Korg does what you need it to do, you're good :)
Use what feels right. Too many options can be overwhelming.
I use a pc, an Audio Interface (RME Uxc) and more than one DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), because I'm used to it.
All the best.

ZARGG! Hey Zargg it's me! *waving*

Back