New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi, my name is Stefan and I'm from South Africa. I have just started recording as a hobby (although I find myself spending more time thinking and dreaming about recording than my work!). I have started recording classical ensembles and am enjoying it immensely! I can't wait to learn from you guys.

Hello,

I'm Bjornar (or Bjørnar) from Norway. I'm about to take my recording/mixing/production more seriously. I'm primarely a guitarist (metal and old school goth/postpunk/deathrock/psychobilly) and a programmer (all kinds of psytrance), but one who's interested in every part of music production and appreciating. I have a masters degree in Musicology and this autumn I will start studies in Music Design in Oslo. I needed a place to get and give feedback and imerse myself in the production-community, so I came here.

Greetings Forum Members!

Please allow me to introduce myself; having just joined your forum. As you will probably eventually realize, I am a great fan of Les Paul and his music. I knew Les for over sixty years.

We met in 1951 - and It was Les and Mary who, in 1955, provided my needed “permission certificate” to drink coffee when I was a Plebe at the Naval Academy! And fast forward to 2003 when we started to work together on a technical literary piece in Mahwah NJ.

During the interceding years, and along with my friendship with his 1950s engineer Earle Davis, I have been able to learn, recreate, record and perform music in his style and memory - a labor of love for as many years. I am a Lifetime Member of The Recording Academy (Grammy folks...) and inventor of the Fiber Optic Guitar (if anyone has heard of it).

My daughter and I are currently recording and performing music in the style of 1950s Capital Record artists Les Paul and Mary Ford. We hope to release our new CD in the fall of 2015.

I am looking forward to communicating with other forum members with a similar love of Les Paul’s music (and ours...) - and of the guitars that bear his name. In addition, I am interested in most other threads in this forum; and particularly those involving audio engineering, audio equipment, vintage items, recording, DAWs, audio and recording history and much more!

To a fulfilling relationship...

Cheers,

George
George Bowley & Laurie Dupuis
Music in the Les Paul and Mary Ford Tradition

Last edited:
Hello, everyone! Hope you're doing well. My name is Eric. I am a songwriter, do pops, disco, eurodance. Live in Winnipeg. Have a portable studio at home. Hope to find some answers to my questions here and share my experience. Very nice to meet you all, guys.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone could help me here with my Sonar LE software that came with the BR-800. I cleaned my computer about three months ago and then reinstalled Sonar LE. Since the tracks on the machine are not enough for me, I have been using BR-800 only to get the sounds and vocal to Sonar LE on the computer. Here is what is happening ever since I cleaned my computer: I record the first track on the computer, when I start recording another track it sounds off the beat. No matter how precisely I try to play it sounds off. Anyone has any ideas about this? Thank you for your attention.

I was wondering if anyone could help me here with my Sonar LE software that came with the BR-800. I cleaned my computer about three months ago and then reinstalled Sonar LE. Since the tracks on the machine are not enough for me, I have been using BR-800 only to get the sounds and vocal to Sonar LE on the computer. Here is what is happening ever since I cleaned my computer: I record the first track on the computer, when I start recording another track it sounds off the beat. No matter how precisely I try to play it sounds off. Anyone has any ideas about this? Thank you for your attention.

I know nothing of Cakewalk/Sonar but I think your sample size or/ and buffer size has been increased and you are now experiencing excessive latency. I suggest you post in the Sonar section here to get help. N.B. Getting low latency can be fraught and it depends upon myriad factors but if it WAS satisfactory I see no reason it cannot be again.

Dave.

Hello all... I am the fishman

started recording over 25 years ago, then the kids came and out went my studio.
now i am trying to get back into recording again.
looking forward to having fun!

Hello all... I am the fishman

started recording over 25 years ago, then the kids came and out went my studio.
just wanted to start recording again.
looking forward to getting some tips & tricks.

Hey everyone
Just joined HR forum. been a friend on Gearslutz for years now. thought I should expand my horizons a bit :)

No maybe can someone here tell me how can I put my own Avatar? :)

Hey everyone
Just joined HR forum. been a friend on Gearslutz for years now. thought I should expand my horizons a bit :)

No maybe can someone here tell me how can I put my own Avatar? :)

Welcome Raz.

I think there may be a certain amount of posts before you can upload a custom avatar. You would think I might know, but I do not.

Is that not a custom avatar you have there?

I know nothing of Cakewalk/Sonar but I think your sample size or/ and buffer size has been increased and you are now experiencing excessive latency. I suggest you post in the Sonar section here to get help. N.B. Getting low latency can be fraught and it depends upon myriad factors but if it WAS satisfactory I see no reason it cannot be again.

Dave.

Thank you, Dave. I have been trying to fix it by roaming through all the windows on the toolbar. And I think I saw something about latency. OK, I will ask in the Sonar section. All the best.

Hello Members

I am a complete newbie when it comes to recording and recording related subject matter. I am very interested in producing my own music because I would love to expand and express myself through computer processed music.

There is a lot to learn and I would like to start now. Please be patient.

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

JJ

Hello Members

I am a complete newbie when it comes to recording and recording related subject matter. I am very interested in producing my own music because I would love to expand and express myself through computer processed music.

There is a lot to learn and I would like to start now. Please be patient.

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

JJ

Hello JJ and welcome.
You need to consider how you want to proceed so that you get the correct advice for your particular case.

First thing, can you play an instrument and if so what? You say "expressed though computer processed music" and that would tend to mean a keyboard of some sort.

The computer is in many ways the least of your worries. Anything that can run Win 7 or later will surely have the power to run a couple of dozen tracks and a few effects.

You will almost certainly need an Audio Interface. This takes the analogue signals from microphones, guitars, keyboard if it has analogue outputs, converts those signals to digital data and sends that, almost always by USB, to the computer. Then, MOST importantly it converts the computer output back to analogue for you to hear. You might know that all computers can do this? So they can but badly, very badly as a rule.

With the AI will come recording software, usually called a "DAW". This could be Cubase or Ableton or any of several others. All have their strengths and weaknesses and some do certain things better than others. All the major DAWs can be downloaded and tried for a limited period. Many, many people rate Reaper and it certainly is very good and very cheap.

What is your budget?

Dave.

Newbie in Melbourne

Hi guys,

New to the home studio thing, not new to the music thing. Went to a Conservatorium here for music back in the day, very used to being recorded and filmed as a performer for the last 6 years, lots of cover bands, a few original bands and quite a lot of theatre, film and TV as an actor.
As a musician I sing and play keys, as an actor I am forever improving my VO reel and now having moved into my first place, my partner and I have a room we've decided to turn into a studio.

The current setup consists of:

Focusrite Forte interface
Rhode nt2a mic (with shock mount and pop shield)
Behringer b3030a ribbon tweeter monitors on solid jarrah speaker stands (imitations of adams ax line. Narrowed it down to rokit vrx6, adams ax, dynaudio bms. The price of the behringers and comparable tone made them a no brainer; for now, will see if they actually survive a year in the studio)
HD280 Cans (for tracking)
Alesis 61key midi, another with x/y joystick needed
Yamaha CP4 digital piano
Roland VR-9 synth
48 acoustic panels
24 bass traps
(Large thick red shag pile rug on the floor and a large black leather couch against the back wall as other forms of simple deadening)
MacBookPro 2014 i7 laptop
Samsung bx2450 24" LED monitor

I am currently looking for some sort of sound reflection filter, either the SE pro, or the kaotica eyeball.

EYEBALL: Acoustic Treatment Home Studio | Vocal Recording Noise Reduction | Kaotica Eyeball | Kaotica Eyeball

demo of the immediate effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUrcYrpu22o

SE PRO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUlso_ucR7Q

My room is quite well treated, however this is more for a clean, reverberation free, flat response from my monitors, the vocal recordings need a bit more dampening and tightening up.
From looking at reviews and demos, the eyeball gives a beautiful, dry and warm sound which is my preferred tone, however there is a slight low end bump due to the channeling of the voice and the closeness of the surround.
However the SE Pro allows for a more natural room tone as well as tightening up the vox and seeing as there is quite a lot of engineering involved i feel the $300 tag somewhat justifiable.
The eyeball on the other hand, $300 for a ball of acoustic foam? I was toying with the idea of buying a corner fill bass trap (a 30x30 cube of acoustic foam) and drilling out a perfectly round chamber inside (as the eyeball is designed) coming in at a total cost of $25 for the cube which seems to be made of the exact same material.
Would this not have the exact same effect as the kaotica?

And very excited to get this all under way and to hear your advice!

Melbourne Maty

Last edited:
Welcome to HR Maty.

I have a quite well treated studio (for a basement home studio) myself. Three treated rooms.

I might suggest doing it like I do. Record vocals in your control room with two hanging (rockwool) panels behind the mic. Less expensive than the devices you have mentioned, likely better results, and it just feels more comfortable to me and singers that record here.

The issue I find is the inherent lack of low end absorption by any of the foam products. At least without extreme thickness.

I have heard that there is an improvement when using these 'reflection filter' type units, but according to data about the absorption ability of them, it is not likely the best way to go.

Anyway, that is my opinion. Take it as you wish.

:)

Attachments

• GOBO.JPG
    GOBO.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 28
Great advice jimmy and definitely taken on board. It is this particular before and after video that has me extremely interested, my room does sound good, especially for monitoring and mixing, but not entirely for vocals. It is OK, but not perfect. I am only now looking for better vocals (or vocals similar to this video) since seeing this device.

Your thoughts on this video? (Very dramatic shift as its a completely standard room, but the after is still quite a change from my room vocals at present; which aren't bad, but I would like them radio, album ready and tuneable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUrcYrpu22o

at 1:44 she sings in an untreated room, at 2:11 she sings into the kaotica. It sounds very much like a sealed/isolated vocal booth.

I think what I am asking is has this video been eq'd by any chance, do you think there has been tweaking here to make this sound as good as it does?

Also, if it is merely an acoustic polyurethane or some sort of open-celled material wouldn't any imitation of this produce similar results?

Great advice jimmy and definitely taken on board. It is this particular before and after video that has me extremely interested, my room does sound good, especially for monitoring and mixing, but not entirely for vocals. It is OK, but not perfect. I am only now looking for better vocals (or vocals similar to this video) since seeing this device.

Your thoughts on this video? (Very dramatic shift as its a completely standard room, but the after is still quite a change from my room vocals at present; which aren't bad, but I would like them radio, album ready and tuneable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUrcYrpu22o

at 1:44 she sings in an untreated room, at 2:11 she sings into the kaotica. It sounds very much like a sealed/isolated vocal booth.

I think what I am asking is has this video been eq'd by any chance, do you think there has been tweaking here to make this sound as good as it does?

Also, if it is merely an acoustic polyurethane or some sort of open-celled material wouldn't any imitation of this produce similar results?

Let's continue this on your on topic thread. I already answered that.

Nothing but smoke and mirrors in that video...

Sorry. :)

New to the forum? Say hello, tell us a little about your self. Meet the gang :p

Welcome to HomeRecording Forum! :guitar:

Hi! My name is Adam and I'm an alc... Ooops, wrong forum. Just kidding. I have finally upgraded my studio to all computer based from standalone MTR's. Most recently a AW4416 - vintage 2000. Everyone has been great so far and very helpful to this 50 something sound tech. who hates computers. Thanks.

Back