New member - MP3

Rockerbob

I’m new here. I have been home recording for a few years now and I have a great time with it. I don’t play live much anymore and the home studio is my only musical outlet.

Here’s a weekend track from my basement studio. I started this on a whim Friday and finished up the recording Saturday evening. I got a mix before I went to bed and then checked it again in the morning before converting it to an MP3.

The goal was to do an all-acoustic version of “Come Together”. I also wanted to use only percussion instruments I had here, and I don’t have any acoustic drums. I wanted “drums” but I was determined to not use digital drums. I have some hand percussion stuff, like tambourines, shakers and claves, but I thought I wanted to have the beat from the original recording, even though I changed the lick a bit. So I used 3 cardboard boxes for the drums and a tambourine with extra reverb for a crash. That and regular tambourine are the only “drums”. There is a 6 string acoustic rhythm, a 12 string acoustic rhythm, bass (the only electric instrument), a couple slide tracks, a lead track, 2 vocals and the pseudo-drums.

I had lots of fun with this recording.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Keith “Rockerbob” Lewis

Welcome RockerBob! I like the quality of the recording everything seemed well tracked. Nice slide guitar. You shoud be very proud of this recording. If I were you I would've made the whole song a little faster. While it grooves, I got a little bored half to three quarters through it. The increased tempo could've held my attention. Still a wonderful listen. Keep it up!

chris-from-ky said:
Welcome RockerBob! I like the quality of the recording everything seemed well tracked. Nice slide guitar. You shoud be very proud of this recording. If I were you I would've made the whole song a little faster. While it grooves, I got a little bored half to three quarters through it. The increased tempo could've held my attention. Still a wonderful listen. Keep it up!

I agree the the above quote.

Very impressive, sounds like something one would hear on a tribute album. My only negative is that, while I am a big Beatles fan, I never got into this particular song.

Thanks for listening! I record mostly originals, but every once in a while I get an itch to record a cover. This was fun not only because I like the song, but because of the alternative instrumentation.

Very cool! The "drums" are great. Good mix overall.

How many takes do you think the trap set would stand up to?

The bass sounds good, too. What kind and how did you record it?

Thanks, apl!

I was hitting the boxes with my hands, as you might hit a bongo. I think they would last a long time. :)

The bass is a Modulus VJ. Basically a nice vintage Jazz Bass copy with a carbon fiber neck. It's a great bass. For a little more thump I had a rag bunched up under the strings, right at the bridge, to act as a mute.

Thanks for listening!

Rockerbob said:
For a little more thump I had a rag bunched up under the strings, right at the bridge, to act as a mute.

Great trick! I'll have to try it some time.

sounds cool

A great song helps so much....sounds cool to me. Nice creativity with the percussion. What is your studio setp?

I just got back from the Pacific NW.

My studio is based on Digital Performer running on a Mac dual G4. I used an AKG C414 on all the parts. I use Waves plugins for comp and reverb.

Enchilada said:
Just out of curiosity what gear did you use?

Guild "JF-30 12"- 12 string acoustic guitar, Collings OM3C - 6 string acoustic guitar, both mic'ed with an AKG C414 running into a channel of a Mackie 24*8 recording mixer and then into a Delta66 I/O to Digital Performer 4 running on a dual G4 mac. Bass is a Modulus VJ with a rag stuffed under the strings as a mute, right at the bridge. It's running through the pre-amp mode of a POD Pro. I used Waves plugins for comp and reverb.

Back