New Macbook doesn't have firewire

comprehensive

My macbook was recently destroyed in an unfortunate beer accident. Luckily, I back everything up. My new macbook, however, does not have a firewire port and I use a firepod. I generally record on a pc tower so it isn't an issue really but it sucks to have to transfer shit back and forth all the time. I have heard that you can get a female firewire to male usb converter, but I have also heard that this is impossible. Does anyone know for sure?

My macbook was recently destroyed in an unfortunate beer accident. Luckily, I back everything up. My new macbook, however, does not have a firewire port and I use a firepod. I generally record on a pc tower so it isn't an issue really but it sucks to have to transfer shit back and forth all the time. I have heard that you can get a female firewire to male usb converter, but I have also heard that this is impossible. Does anyone know for sure?

It is absolutely impossible to make any FireWire device work with USB (except for DV camcorders, and even then, the horrible hack of an adapter reduces the resolution and won't work on a Mac at all).

If you need to record on your Mac, my advice would be to take it back to the Apple store within the first two weeks, explain the problem, and exchange it for the white MacBook, which does have FireWire (and is cheaper, too) or a MacBook Pro (in which case you'd need a FW800 to FW400 cable, but otherwise, it would just work).

If returning it isn't an option, your only choices are to either sell the aluminum MacBook and buy a white one or to sell the FIREPOD and try to find a usable 8-channel USB interface.... The former is probably a lot easier than the latter, IMHO. :D

Thanks for the advice. I'm just going to keep transferring the files, that works fine and while its kind of a bitch, it forces me to back everything up

Back