New Mac Mini's

Atom Bomb

Wtf is a PRS
Anyone using the new mac mini's as their workstation.

The ones sans optical drive? I read that it can somehow magically utilize the optical drive of another machine.... somehow? I have yet to comprehend this concept. :confused:

I have been tossing the idea of one of these around for a while and there is a place in town that has some at a decent price right now.

The Macbook Pro i got the missus for a christmas gift is apparently not mine to do as i see fit with... So...

Anyone?

Sharing the optical drive from your missus MBP is very easy if they're on the same network.

Go to system preferences > sharing > and select dvd/cd sharing on both machines.
Her drive will magically appear on your desktop.

Interesting fact : Someone loaned me a 2008 quadcore (x2) mac pro.
That little i7 mini benches the same score as it in geekbench, give or take!

Also, if it interests you, the i7 model has two hdds, but it's possible to kit out the other models with a 2nd internal drive too if you can pick up the little ribbon cable.

You can share drives with another machine, but the easiest and cleanest way is to just get a $30 USB optical drive....

(You DONT have to have an Apple brand optical drive, any will work just fine.)

Cool....

Thanks for the tips guys. I am thinking this might be the way to go. I ma having a machine built for me for free. But it is all spare parts that the guy doesn't want.

I am just wondering if i should just do a 100% upgrade. Signs are pointing to mac mini. I like that i get the hardware and mac OS and i don't really need the peripherals to be mac stuff.

That is attractive to me.

Yep. I'd highly recommend the newest mini. Lots of horsepower in a small package, and inexpensive PC add ons work great.

I just hate that they don't come with disc drives, I guess that's more of a personal thing. But hey, you have a thunderbolt port for when that becomes more prominent.

Yea i did some more looking around and i am going to give my buddies PC he built for me a try first. He was a little offended that he did all that "work" (and by work i mean just throwing all his leftovers into a tower as it came to him) for nothing.

I actually tried it out last night and he did a decent job. Start up alone was light years faster then my laptop.

So i will hold off on this for now.

I'm on an older Mac Mini, and I love the thing. I occasionally run my 13" Macbook Pro as the peripheral for REALLY CPU intense projects (it's got an i7/2.7 GHz/8GB RAM, vs. my Mini's Core 2 Duo/2.53GHz/4GB RAM), but the new Mini's are really, really boss computers for 90% of home recording purposes, especially for the price.

I'm on an older Mac Mini, and I love the thing. I occasionally run my 13" Macbook Pro as the peripheral for REALLY CPU intense projects (it's got an i7/2.7 GHz/8GB RAM, vs. my Mini's Core 2 Duo/2.53GHz/4GB RAM), but the new Mini's are really, really boss computers for 90% of home recording purposes, especially for the price.

Yea i actualy kinda played with one sadly. But i already got this one PC from my friend and it is working super slick. I am pretty happy with it. But i will definitely be upgrading to a macmini after i saw what i can do last weekend.

Back