new laptop ???

t_chance

I'm looking at a getting a Dell 8500, 512, 5400 to hook up with a 428 for now and hopefully an RME in the near future. Is this a good choice? What else should I be looking for? Are there any other issues or links you laptop recorders may have? Are the Dells OK, or should I be looking at something else?
Thanks in advance. T

t_chance said:
I'm looking at a getting a Dell 8500, 512, 5400 to hook up with a 428 for now and hopefully an RME in the near future. Is this a good choice? What else should I be looking for? Are there any other issues or links you laptop recorders may have? Are the Dells OK, or should I be looking at something else?
Thanks in advance. T

I recall people complaining about certain hardware incompatabilities between Dell laptops and DAW hardware over at harmony-central.com.

I don't remember the details.

I hate hate hate Dell. I have had to service them in the past, both notebook and desktop, and they suck. Their service sucks, as do their components.

Get a Toshiba or a Gateway, or as brzilian prefers, a VPR Matrix. They may be expensive (IMO) but they are better than a Dell anyday.

thanks

I've been flipping back and forth between getting a laptop or a HD recorder for a long time. I need a new laptop if I want to do any music on it because the one I have now doesn't even have MMX (old 266). I think I'll hold off and build a dedicated rackmount system for the MIX/MASTER and get a 24-track HD unit. I see those Alesis units are quite reasonable these days.

Laptops aren't the greatest for recording because of their slow hard drive speeds and your limitations on how much ram or what kinds of audio cards you put in. I was using a MOTU 828 and Sonar with a firewire PC card and had a lot of issues with stability, odd clicks and pops, and latency. I recommend recording with the standalone HD recorders (although I don't have on yet.....my wife and I are working on building a house so I'm forbidden from buying recording gear until we're finished). If you do get a new laptop get a high-end one, I bought a cheaper Gateway and it sucks big time.

Back