New Laptop help!!

When whatever you buy arrives, I'd recommend ripping the hard drive out and putting it in a USB caddy.
Drop another £140 on a 256gb SSD on ebay and pop that in as the system drive.

Good to go for a long time!
Ok, it's not essential but it's definitely what I'd do. I can't even begin to recommend SSDs enough.
Nothing else exists now in my mind.

Thanks for all the info guys...had a good think about it and decided to go with the new macbook pro. Comes on Wednesday:thumbs up:

so you went from a 600 budget to 2300? lol

you should be good for years...

Im doing the same around here ..get one $1200 laptop, or a couple cheaper items, desktop and laptop $300+$800...hmm

Doing around 10 tracks or 12 doesn't require much really, imo. I guess its all relevant to what youre doing. guitars bass and drums and vocals isn't hard to do on even an older pc.
PLug-Ins seem to be the most taxing on the RAM, but today 4gig is normal...and 2 gigs was covering 12 tracks for a long time with plugs.

so you went from a 600 budget to 2300? l
Sorry, ignore that last message, they aren't rca. They are three-pin female mic sockets on the back of the monitors. The lead supplied is phono to male three-pin mic. Twl

you should be good for years...

Im doing the same around here ..get one $1200 laptop, or a couple cheaper items, desktop and laptop $300+$800...hmm

Doing around 10 tracks or 12 doesn't require much really, imo. I guess its all relevant to what youre doing. guitars bass and drums and vocals isn't hard to do on even an older pc.
PLug-Ins seem to be the most taxing on the RAM, but today 4gig is normal...and 2 gigs was covering 12 tracks for a long time with plugs.

Aye budget changed a little. . Happy with what I've got, non retina as well so can upgrsde Ram and HDD to SSD:)

I'm wondering how I'm going to hook my monitor's up though...The connections are three-pin female mic sockets on the back of the monitors. The lead is phono to male three-pin mic. Anyone know the best way?? w

You don't have an audio interface?
I'd get one. Even if it's just a cheap one, at very least it'll give you balanced TRS outputs.

You don't have an audio interface?
I'd get one. Even if it's just a cheap one, at very least it'll give you balanced TRS outputs.

Not at the moment, I'm just building this up stage by stage. I've been looking at them but don't really know what to go for yet. I've got a couple of pairs of good studio headphones which will do for the time baring. Any reccomendations or ones to stay clear of on the interface side of things?

With a new mac you have thunder bolt which is a $2 adapter away from being firewire, so that opens the market up.
There are reports of various Tascam interfaces not playing nice under OSX, so do your research first.

I don't know what operating system you're running, but Mavericks is still young so, again, do your research on drivers before you buy.

Any reccomendations or ones to stay clear of on the interface side of things?

UAD Apollo are made for Macs, although they are a little pricey. But if you get one, you also get the power of UAD plugs. It's a slippery slope, I tellya!!! :D

Im reading this like you want portability so a small interface, seems to fit.

Small as in "to toss in the suitcase" and the interface will have 1 or 2 headphone outputs, and it will have your jacks for monitors when your home.

Got the Native instruments complete audio 6, seems a good wee bit of kit for the price. Also bought Arturia minilab while i was at it, had a wee shot and it comes with some amount of sounds/vst:thumbs up:

Just noticed the usb connection on the midi controller is a type b? Don't know how i'm going to connect that to my audio interface, i have usb>midi connections but never seen type b>midi:confused:

Just noticed the usb connection on the midi controller is a type b? Don't know how i'm going to connect that to my audio interface, i have usb>midi connections but never seen type b>midi:confused:

Is the cable B both sides? Also, if you have a B (I assume your controller uses the B), then the A can go straight to the computer. Doesn't have to connect to the interface.

Back