New house construction - basement studio

bleyrad

These days around my area it is actually cheaper to build a new house than buy an existing one (I live in Vancouver area... most expensive real estate in Canada... ouch)

My dad has a friend who is a contractor and builds quality houses. He is (likely) going to build us a new house from a spec plan than includes a basement. We will ask for 9 foot ceilings.
Now, my request is that the main part of the basement be used as a studio. It is not likely that the spec plan will be entirely suitable for this, so I'll ask for a few custom changes... but only a few.

Here are my needs:

- Good acoustical environment
- Reasonably low sound transmission to neighbours (nothing fancy like double walls)
- Reasonably decent looking (no concrete walls showing... bad for acoustics anyway)

So what I'm looking for is advice on what specifically to ask for. I don't want to add to the price of the house significantly, if at all, with my requests, so keep it simple. What size and shape and wall angles should I ask for? What materials should be used on the floor, the walls, and the ceiling? I'd rather not treat the ceiling after the fact, so if I can at least get some 703 on the ceiling instead of drywall, is that a good idea? I'm also looking at asking for Pergo flooring or other floating laminate.
Any other suggestions are totally welcome.

Thanks a lot guys...

If the whole of your basement is going to be below ground, you might be on your way to a cost effective scenario. If not, we'd need to know in order to be able to give you some half way decent advise.

I can't say for sure yet - we haven't even chosen a lot to build on. But I would say it would probably be entirely or at least mostly underground.

Back