new hosting site - check out our demo

downloaded three tunes.....I have some comments...these comments are only my opinion, so take it for what the half cent it's worth....

"Daydreams"...nice song, but the lead vocal is off key, and voice is an instrument too, ya know....however he is so ON at 2:51 and 3:55, it almost made me forget about the offs in the beginning and middle....but a record company wouldn't forget....mix-wise, those drums need a more up front kick sound or at the very least some lower eq...

"Secrets of Happiness"....nice energy, but the bell thing or whatever at :09 was annoying.....

"Got A Girl" is absolutely one of the best punk songs I've heard in ten years......great lyrics, great playing, great mix, great vocals, great song.....this song does what it's supposed to do, and very well....no shit....gibs

ps, if the author can handle it, lose the "uzi' reference in "Secrets"....that shit's been done before....

Thanks for replying, now that i know people are checking it out, i'll tell a little story behind the recording...this is my first time recording a punk band, i've done some acoustic solo stuff before, so this is a bit of a departure. anyhoo, we set up in one room, miked everything, ran the snake into a 'control' room, mixed to ear, and ran the live feed into a laptop. note, we just played instrumentals - once we finished this 'live in the studio' session, we took the wave files back to my dorm room, set up a 58, ran into a art mic pre, and then into my desktop. i used cool edit 2k, the studio plug in to position, edit, compress, and mix (etc.) the vocals. daydreams was the last song we did, and my very slow computer was waving its white flag by then...so daydreams was a bit rushed, and i agree with you that the vocals are slightly dissapointing.

so, once the vocals were mixed, i simply copied the 'rock' eq from winamp, ran it over everything, and amplified to taste. on daydreams, i simply added a little echo with delay at 2x the tempo. the main thing here is that we did the instruments live, so to go back and change anything was one luxury we let go for the sake of time. i'm really happy with the results, but i need fresh ears...i'm learning a great trade here, and everyone here has helped a ton! thanks! keep it coming...

i wrote got a girl back in high school, i'm a college senior now. i got into the band coz they needed a bass player, i had played guitar up to that point, but i've messed around with some bass. the band won't be around for much longer, two of the guys are heading out to pilot training to be fighter pilots - a path the rest of us are going to follow in about a year, we're all grads or soon to be grads of the air force academy, so if any of yunz are in the area - check out some of our final shows. if you would like a cd, due jan 01, e-mail me at c01michael.grados@usafa.af.mil

thanks for listening, keep the comments coming...

Have to go with Gibs on his choice of the best tune at that site. My only gripe about that tune was the weak guitar solo. The bass work was clean and the vocals worked, not to mention the tune itself rocks.

its funny yunz like got a girl, we thought for sure that tiger or transformers would take the cake...got a girl was just an after thought...i mean, the bass player has a song?!? thats about as bad as a drummer with song! :)

I'll start with the good news.. Songwriting! Very good somgwriting behind this, especially "Let him be".. great pop/rock/modern punk tune.

Vocals sound ok. But I think that this vocalist needs a lot more confidence in what he's doing.. Sounds more like he's lacking confidence than lacking voice..

I don't hear the bass (mind you, I listen in old headphones)

Drums sound unnatural.. especially the kick, and the guitar sounds VERY direct recorded...

I hope you take this the right way.. I don't offer many suggestions on how to improve the sound, but I hope you get my point. And I want to compliment again on the SONGS.. this is very good songs, and with a little more effort put into it, it will come out great.

Keep it up
- Mesh

a little more on the recording techniques used...the bass was the only thing directly recorded, guitar cabs were miked very close with old shure beta 57's. thanks for the compliments on songwriting, i'm working with people i just met a few months ago, but the synergy between us is amazing. we're not in this for anything more than fun, we're not going to be around much longer, and to get complimented on songwriting is just about the greatest thing. thanks again.

well, i was inspired to put my solo stuff up on the web...same place as the scottfree stuff. its found in the album mike vs. the computer said sadly, state street gang, and drinking song are softer songs...acoustic, bass, electric, and looped drums. check it out. this isn't a demo, just something for fun, but they are more of a songwriters type of song, whatever that means

Back