New Honey Hunters - "Never Mind"

You're being very polite, and I appreciate it. But just try it. Easy enough to dispatch it if you don't like it. But I'm thinking it might be like this: Have you ever had a thought that's come back on you again and again? Of course you have. But has that repeating thought ever been kind of disturbing, like you you don't quite know what to do about it? The left/right thing might sound like that.
Not at all dobro. I think it's a cool idea - but I'm not going to rework this song to do it. I have a not dissimilar vocal chant type thing on the next song I'm working on (and after that I'm really going to step away from the massed vocal thing I think :LOL: ) and I'm putting it into play on that. I've already done most of it - just a matter of working out the degree and having a measure of subtlety about it so it doesn't seem like a "trick"... The song itself is (even) more intense and a different style completely, but I think it's working OK. I'm not using panning as such, just volume envelopes - the word ("listen") that's being repeated is always in both ears, I'm just putting more of it, alternating, in L and R so it sounds panned. It's also only about 50% panned anyway, again, so it doesn't freak people out wearing headphones, but is noticeable.

Hopefully up in another 24 hours or so. Keep and eye out... :oops:

We'll call it the Dobro Manoeuvre - that way I can blame you if it doesn't work out. :D

:giggle:

It's on the way. Look out for it.

I didn't think it was, but someone earlier mentioned the analog drums so I was curious.

That's me and VSTis. As the years have gone by, I think my understanding of them has grown. I figured out fairly early on that they would always sound best mixed in with actual instruments {not that they're not actual instruments, actually played !} rather than being out front and exposed. But I've also found it best to use them raw, kill any effects, especially reverb, and add my own after the fact. I was also always one for playing them with the mind of the actual instrumentalist, in real time. I use them sparingly, but they've turned out to be everything I dreamed they'd be back when I first heard about them in 2004.
But where I get the chance, I still use actual players. Like, I have trumpets and they don't sound too bad as part of a brass section, but on their own, they're kind of lame. But my son has a trumpet playing friend and I've been getting him to add some parts for me of late. Funny thing though, even the sound of a live trumpet in the room is different from what it's like when recorded. I always find that with drums too.

How is Richard these days ? I always liked the music of the Jongleurs. Actually, all your incarnations have been part of the upper echelon of home recordings. I still think your standalone DAW recordings were, along with RAMI's, inspirational. Every bit as good as anything I've heard on computer or reel to reel.

I've gotten kind of used to it. In fact, because I do most of my recording in my sons' bedroom, I've sometimes recorded vocals while one of them has been asleep in bed ! I always ask him if he minds, but he always says no.
I sometimes feel a bit self-conscious with neighbours on either side, but they've never commented on it. Well, back in 2003, one of them did say they thought I was giving singing lessons to someone. I thought that was rather novel. I was actually showing my friend how the parts went. That was one of the few times I ever recorded vocals with the windows open because that summer was phenomenally hot. I did it once more, many years later, because I wanted the sound of these birds singing to randomly intersperse on the vocals.
Why thank you kind sir. That comment will buy you a beer next time I'm in London - although who knows when that will be. Perhaps 2023 will see us do the international travel thing again.

Richard is good. We've kept in touch over the years but not really musically - he's had his hands full raising two kids, the eldest of whom is almost 10 now. He seems to have his career very much under control, and we'll see where this leads. It's not really practical to have a "band" where the two people involved live 90 minutes apart, but who knows... and let's not even start on the cost of petrol to do such a trip regularly. At the moment he's all fired up and keen, but he's a bit of an "ideas man" and sometimes practical reality can cruel the best ideas. Stay tuned. And it's not like I have a a shortage of time at the moment now that I've been put out to pasture.

Perhaps we can meet at this venue and rehearse every couple of weeks or so - it's closer to me than him, so that works for me. Plus he likes surfing and I live near a beach, and have a relatively large house so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could drag the wife and kiddies up for a weekend every now and then. But getting ahead of myself - he's only been a local for a month or so, and he probably needs to get his life in Brisbane sorted first, to keep his wife happy.

This is an excellent song...listened a couple of times...the second version is clearer...loses a touch of the 'smokey' atmospheric touch of the first... I didn't so much mind the vocals being a little harder to decipher on the first. Nice work

Mark
Thanks Mark. I didn't do much to the second version, it was all pretty minor, but it's amazing how such minor tweaking can have an effect.

Thanks for the listen and comments.:thumbs up:

My main issue is the bass groove is stomping over everything - as the mix is predominently up the middle. You have to kind of try to hear "around" it.
Thanks K, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, nor what I can do about it.

Back