New Home Office/Studio - Tall Ceiling & Bass Traps

Nate74

HR4FREBR
I just moved into a new house and the room designated as "mine" has me scratching my head in terms of how to set it up for my recording/mixing needs. It's almost a perfect square at 11'-6" x 11'-4" AND has 9'-6" ceilings.

As you can see from the sketch below, the only wall that would allow me to truly center my desk on it is the wall with the window, but that leaves me with no easy way to put traps in the two corners behind my mixing position.

There is about 33" between the tops of the two doors and the ceiling so I could cut down a couple of my 2'x4"x4" corner traps and put them up there I guess?

If I put the desk on the wall opposite the window, it would be about 10" off center and in a really inconvenient spot since one of the doors leads into our garage, and the other into the house...

I'm also wondering how to approach the 9'-6" ceiling. My last home studio had 8' ceilings and I made 2'x4'x2" clouds that hung about a foot below the ceiling, right above my mix position.

Starting from scratch here and willing and able to reconfigure any of my existing self-made traps/defussers.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Slide1.JPG

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 108
I don't know man. If it were me, I would place your corner traps and desk on the window side. Treating the area closest to where you listen would be first order.

Don't forget that ceiling to wall is also a corner that will achieve good results. Maybe straddle the ceiling to wall corners above the doors. You gotta do what you can in your new room.

I think from a room functionality perspective, that's really the only configuration that will work I guess. I can do a 2'x4'x4" trap up between the back wall and the ceiling and then do the little 30"x2'x4" in the corners above the two doors. Maybe a pair of 2" thick 2'x4' panels on that back wall?

I just moved into a new house and the room designated as "mine" has me scratching my head in terms of how to set it up for my recording/mixing needs. It's almost a perfect square at 11'-6" x 11'-4" AND has 9'-6" ceilings.

As you can see from the sketch below, the only wall that would allow me to truly center my desk on it is the wall with the window, but that leaves me with no easy way to put traps in the two corners behind my mixing position.

There is about 33" between the tops of the two doors and the ceiling so I could cut down a couple of my 2'x4"x4" corner traps and put them up there I guess?

If I put the desk on the wall opposite the window, it would be about 10" off center and in a really inconvenient spot since one of the doors leads into our garage, and the other into the house...

I'm also wondering how to approach the 9'-6" ceiling. My last home studio had 8' ceilings and I made 2'x4'x2" clouds that hung about a foot below the ceiling, right above my mix position.

Starting from scratch here and willing and able to reconfigure any of my existing self-made traps/defussers.

View attachment 92283

I would face the window. You will greater symmetry there. Bass traps (soffits or super chunks) to the ceiling on the front corners. Treat you reflection points, walls and ceiling with at least 4 inch panels and 4 inch air gap if possible.
Back wall at least 2 at least 6 inch panels. To finish Off I would be looking at some panels straddling the ceiling / wall on the back wall and possibly abover the doors if you had room

---------- Update ----------

View attachment 92283

I would face the window. You will greater symmetry there. Bass traps (soffits or super chunks) to the ceiling on the front corners. Treat you reflection points, walls and ceiling with at least 4 inch panels and 4 inch air gap if possible.
Back wall at least 2 at least 6 inch panels. To finish Off I would be looking at some panels straddling the ceiling / wall on the back wall and possibly above the doors if you had room

So with the above input, I'm thinking something like this? Maybe something between the walls and ceiling on the sides as well?

This layout will mean I'll have to rebuild a few of my existing traps, but I think I'll have enough 703 to cover this.

Slide1.JPG

Your ceiling cloud above the desk does not have to be to the front wall - move that panel out past the 3rd of those in your sketch.
Make traps on wheels or stands that you can put into place in those back corners, and move out of the way when the doors need to be used.

Your ceiling cloud above the desk does not have to be to the front wall - move that panel out past the 3rd of those in your sketch.
Make traps on wheels or stands that you can put into place in those back corners, and move out of the way when the doors need to be used.

Thanks. You know, I hadn't thought about "mobile" traps, but that's a fair idea. BTW, in my drawing that one trap that is all the way against the top wall is actually a 4" thick trap at a 45 degree angle between the wall and the ceiling. The other two, I was planning on 2" thick clouds, similar to my last setup.

Back