New higher end monitors, selection..

TragikRemix

I am NOT a Gear Whore. ;)
i desperatley need to upgrade my monitoring chain.

currently, i'm running analog balanced outs of my Digi002 in to an alesis RA150 and into a pair of NS10s.

i want to get something else, something 'better' or different. i want the new ones to be my main monitors, and to use the NS10s for reference between the two.

i was thinking of getting an Apogee Mini DAC to go from spdif to analog, then into something like a presonus central stations where i could switch between monitors.

and i want to get new monitors. i was looking at Mackie 624/824's, or even 626's look awesome.
i was also looking at JBL LSR4300's and Adam A7's.

these are all active i think. anyone have a recommendation for me, on anything, the monitors or the D/A converter ordeal? will the central station be a weak link in the set up? i'm looking to spend like under $3000, if possible, i'll shop used and get everything maybe under $2000.

Have you considered upgrading your power amp and then getting a second pair of passive monitors?

NS-10s can sound dramatically different on various amps. You could then buy an Adcom or Bryston speaker switch box to switch between the NS-10s and your mains. For your mains, I'd keep an eye out for KRK 7000B/9000B - great monitors.

The Adams are help in quite high regards! If I was investing again in monitors, those would be the first I would look at!

Also, Meyer Sound HD-1's don't get mentioned nearly enough when it comes to high end monitoring! These monitors RAWK!!! The depth and detail you can hear into a mix with Meyer HD-1's is simply stunning!

The ADAM monitors have a good fan base. Personally, I did not care much for them until you spend enough to get the s3a's. At that point though they sound awesome. I have been a big fan of Dynaudio for a while now and have had a couple of different pairs that I love. For cost purposes, you may want to look into BM6's and BM15's.

TragikRemix said:
i was thinking of getting an Apogee Mini DAC to go from spdif to analog, then into something like a presonus central stations where i could switch between monitors.

The mini would be nice but from what I hear the Presonus has pretty good DAC itself, I've never heard either so don't take my word for it but it's something to check up on, then that would give you extra money for even better monitors/amps/room treatment...

Back