New here... Please critique.

BoneDigger

As a little intro, I'm new to recording and not overly knowledgeable on the subject. My initial intention was to simply make some basic recordings of myself using my ipod touch. Then I went deeper and bought a Zoom H4N. Now I have even more equipment and I'm getting lost. First let me explain my goals:

I want to make some recording for myself, my friends, and family. I hope to start song writing soon and MIGHT use my recordings as demos. I'm not sure about that one yet. I'm 45, so I'm no spring chicken, but I still have many good years in me (hopefully). I'm not necessarily looking for studio quality, but I'd like it to sound good.

So, here is what I have. I have a Zoom H4N setup on a mic stand. I have two Samson C02 mics set up to record in stereo. I have an MXL V67g on a mic stand with a pop filter for vocals. I have two Rokit 6 monitors and a laptop with Windows 7 and an i5 processor. For software I have Reaper, EZ Drummer, and Izotope Nectar Light voice software.

My music style is mostly acoustic with some electric instruments thrown in. I play acoustic guitar, banjo, mandolin, electric bass, and a telecaster with a decent amp. My music is mostly folk-pop along the lines of Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver, and James Taylor.

My goal, if you can call it that, is to setup a click track, lay down a drum beat for it, add bass, then acoustic, (possibly banjo or mandolin), then the electric if the song calls for it. Last would be vocals which I would edit with Nectar. All this would get dropped into Reaper and produced for a CD.

My current setup is in a medium sized room with wood floors and panelled walls. That may change soon, so for now I'm more interested in the other parts of the equation.

So, feel free to critique. What do I have right? What do I have wrong? Tips?

Todd

Are you using Zoom as audio interface to record directly to Reaper or you are recording to Zoom first and then transferring the files to Reaper?
I know you can use one as a audio interface, but I don't have any idea how well does it work as it. (I have H4n sitting next to me and I'm just too lazy to try out. :facepalm:)
While Zoom MIGHT be your weak spot, the Samson mics are also not the greatest (I know some guys are happy with these, I sold mine quickly). I would look at Oktava 012 which are really nice in the studio and great for live use (+changeable capsules is a really nice feature!).

As of now, I'm recording to the Zoom then transferring it to Reaper manually. I haven't tried using it as an interface.

The Samson mics came with the Zoom as a package deal on Ebay. I think they sound better than the stock Zoom mics but I really dont have much experience with mics andthese very well may be a weak link.

Thanks!

Todd

Well go ahead and try recording direct to the computer, it might save you some time in the long run and make things easier (no syncing tracks, better to punch in...).

Hi Todd,
I have no experience of the Zoom but it seems to get a good rep "for what it does", I would think it would be a little lacking compared to even a modest interface?

You might like to try the Steinberg UR22 ? Again no direct experience but it gets good reviews and I have read nothing bad of it.

An interface I DO know and love is the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, getting on for twice the price of the Steinberg but a really good box. Both AIs come with Cubase and I know you have Reaper but Cubase is known to be good for MIDI.

Or you could look for a second hand M-A fast track pro or a Tascam US144 if you are fiscally stretched atmo!

Dave.

Okay, so would something like the Steinberg UR22 net generally better results than using the H4N? What else would be needed for that setup?

Todd
Not a lot, some TRS cables to feed the Rokits maybe?
BTW you said you were using the Samson mics in stereo? Do you mean Co-incident stereo on a bar like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Stage-MY500-S...amic-microphone/shure/SM57/user_reviews/]SM57 for voice and electric guitar cab?

You say the room might change soon? Well, wherever you fetch up it will be wrong(!) so you might as well investigate some bass trapping and you can throw some duvets about. Don't know if they are available at your 10-20 but collapsible plastic coated wire clothes airers are a cheap way to support absorbent material.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FOLDING-HEAVY-INDOOR-OUTDOOR-CLOTHES/dp/B0049M3RSC/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1

Dave.

Yes, that's the way I do it. Actually, I modified the mount so that the mics are about 18 inches apart, so they aim directly at the 12th fret and the bridge. I can angle then in or out, etc. This gives me pretty good results. However, lately I have been combining the MXL with one C02 and the sound is slightly better. Not sure why that would be...

I was able to get the H4N setup today as an interface and record directly into Reaper. I haven't tried any recordings on it, just tests, but it worked fine. I think I'll go this route for a bit and see if I need to upgrade later.

Todd

The set up you are using will work to start. Many people do the 'record on Zoom, then transfer' method because it elminates the intricacies of setting up the computer for recording. As others have already mentioned, using the Zoom as your audio interface might save a little time. Ideally at some point, you might want to go for an audio interface that has better mic preamps than the Zoom.
For your intended use, you've got what you need - go for it!

Back