New Hard Rock Song With Vocals

This sounds like a mix that had the potential to really "have a pair" and then a multi-band or Finalizer or an L2 fell on it and squashed the hell out of it. There are FAR better ways of making it sound "loud."

Ballistics is showing a whopping 6.5dB of dynamic range here...

Other than that the lead vocal seems detached from the mix.

Other than THAT, it sorta rocks. Cool tune. I'm all about the flat 5th. Any metal tune in "E" without a B-flat in it isn't really a metal tune. :cool:

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

other than the song seems to be one note, the mix seems very fuzzy and tinny...and vocals very room sounding with the non growly part. Very ear fatiguing. Around the 1:40 mark or so...it seems the vocalist is just ad libbing...and wandering around. The effect of highly tensioned melody notes does NOT come across...rather just someone searching for a melody.

This music seems like it DEPENDS on the sound of the guitars detuned, and the music is not there. Just going for a sound...and falling a tad short and sounding very home brew.

im glad to hear you like the music lol i should probobly mention that we recorded this in my bedroom, i have 4 or 5 mics, two sm57's an mk219 condensor and a beta 57a going threw a 4 track eurorack into cool edit pro, we just got the singers this past week and we needed a demo to give out to some people.

lol no hard feelings its nice to get a judging from people with the equipment and ability to create brilliant recordings, i f i wasnt 18 and a freshman in college then i could prolly put a bit more effort (and money)into this

I usualy don't comment at all if I can't be constructive so that admission alone is means I'm trying really hard.

The music is really good, no, I mean really good. It's been beat up badly and squashed to bits but it's all well executed which is a real shame because it's had a good part of its life sucked out by the sound of things.

The vocal....the vocal soundr right out of place to me. So much so, if I didn't just read about your mic selection and where this was recorded and I wasn't over trusting and didn't give everyone the benefit of the doubt I'd be inclined to think that this tune was recorded without vocals in a semi/pro studio somewhere.....then the vocals were added to the track later at home...say on a computer........with cool edit.........and an SM58......in a bedroom....badly.....by someone with no experience in AE

That part where everything drops out but the guitar on the extreme left is very painfull (1:45ish).

To sum it up: A well enough played tune that seems to have been tracked well enough but then had the life sucked out of it and a verl lame excuse for a vocal laid out on top of it.

I'd definately retrack the vocal in a different room. As dead a room as possible then use some reverb to distance match it with the rest of the song.

What was your signal chain for the vocal?

The distorted screaming stuff sits in there just fine - It's the lead vocal - It sounds like it was laid right on top of a different two-track mix.

When mixing next time, you might consider removing or seriously backing off on whatever is across the buss (assuming a Finalizer, L2, LMBC, or similar).

John

you know Cal...

if you gave us the real lowdown on this recording helping you might be a whole lot easier. One listen has me suspecting...

a)the band and backing vox were recorded on a different day from the vocalist

b) in a different studio

c) with different equipment

d) by a different engineer

This might be the first metal karaoke tune I've ever heard. Actualy no, I visited florida in 1990..Kissemee I think it was and there was a street called OLD TOWN with this Karaoke place where I got drunk and went in and sang G&R's Sweet child o' mine very badly.

I remember the band I was in .....1997, we lost our drummer after doing a great 2 track demo over a weekend in glasgow in a place called The Brill Building..it was owned by Wet, wet, wet's management. Anyway.... being new to the internet and with the upstart of MP3.CON where everyone was destined to be a winner we uploaded them songs. A few months later we uploaded a few more...without a drumer and a drum machine in place. WE DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT RECORDING SO IT WAS EASY TO LIE ABOUT IT. You know how many people picked it out? Everyone that listened.

We all wanna get ahead. One thing I learned early was..if ytou want advice be as acurate as you can with your info, that way people can really listen and help. I'm not trying to bring you down in any way...hell I may be right off the mark here, but if I'm not you'll thank me in time like I thank the guy that picked out the mistakes I was making all them years ago.

Good luck

Alec

yah no big deal man, everythign was recorded seperate, i recorded everything with my pc and the euro rack,

drums were recorded in a guest bedroom at a friends house,
guitars were recorded with two sm57s on a jcm 200 DSL full stack, we only used the half stack for the recording doulbed the guitars over, screaming was recorded witha hand held beta 57a to the euro rack and the lead vocals were recorded in the mk219 condensor with pop filter to the mixer then to the pc. Bass was lined in the mixer from my berhinger Vamp Pro

Back