New guy probably an old question - garbled, distorted recordings

dgvc63

New member and tinkering with an old TEAC cassette deck V-400x. Can't seem to get a clean recording at any level. Made several recordings of voice, acoustic guitar and amplified guitar. (single mic, left channel only Shure SM58- Maxell XLII tape) Never redlining during recording but almost constant redlining on playback.

Any thoughts? Bad record head?

*Bought it for $6 and took it home, VERY squeaky. Cleaned the heads and rollers, opened it up and lubed what I could without disassembling.

Last edited:
*Further testing with stereo system produced a beautiful recording of some old vinyl. More confused than ever as I've tested the mic separately as well with good results... anyone?

Did you use the same inputs on both? e.g., you probably used the rear RCA inputs for the record, but the front mic sockets for the microphone recordings?

Yes, I used the front mic sockets for the mic recordings and the RCA connections to test with the stereo...

No offense Alan but I'm new here and didn't realize you couldn't delete an entry, otherwise I would have. Thanks for your response.

Back