New Guy- New Song

Hey that sounds pretty good. I like the layered guitar parts--really fits together well. The bass is there--but not too much there, just about right. What are you using for drum loops--recorded loops or midi loops triggering samples?

Really nice guitar playing on the solo too.

Nice job & welcome!

Thanks, on this one I used Beta Monkey drum loops. I'm working toward using MIDI drums. I like loops because I've never really wanted to play drums and loops are easy and can sound good if you put in some effort.

Thanks, on this one I used Beta Monkey drum loops. I'm working toward using MIDI drums. I like loops because I've never really wanted to play drums and loops are easy and can sound good if you put in some effort.

I asked because I thought they sounded familiar--I've got just about the whole Betamonkey collection. I like 'em in most cases even better than midi patterns with good samples.

For starters, they sound pretty good, but for me, sometimes I need some parameters to keep me focused. I mean if I can do ANYTHING I want with the drum pattern, I'll spend forever just with that. With the betamonkey loops, I find a pattern that's close enough to want I want, throw in some variations for bridge chorus & some fills--and I have a foundation to work with.

But obviously I digress...good job with that song.

Cool!
This reminds me of biker rock...raw and mean. Nice work and welcome!
Cheers
Joe

I liked it for the most part. I thought the mix was decent, especially considering that they were fake drums... I hate fake drums, I really do. But you did a good job mixing them in and they were programed well so they didn't sound bad really. Good job!

The cheapo bass got the job done well, and the guitar work made up for it. Very good tone on the guitars, excellent shape and it really fit the style well. The voice is the only thing I had a tip for, it sounds a little too far away maybe? Or maybe to midless... I'm not sure, it just sounds like it could be a little more up front in the mix like the electric guitars are. But other than that it was great!! And like I said, I really hate fake drums... I mean, I despise them severely... but you did a good job making them not sound like loops.

:cool:

-James'

Thanks, Joey, people tell me I look like a biker lol, so I'll take it.
James, glad you liked the guitar tone, but I have no plans of learning to play drums..I'll do MIDI, but I'm learning keys now, so no real drums unless someone offers to collab.

I thought the mix was decent, especially considering that they were fake drums... I hate fake drums, I really do. But you did a good job mixing them in and they were programed well so they didn't sound bad really... And like I said, I really hate fake drums... I mean, I despise them severely... but you did a good job making them not sound like loops.

:cool:

-James'

As a fellow Betamonkey user (but I'm not associated with them at all) I thought I'd jump in and clarify. They are loops, but not programmed loops. The reason they sounded real to you is that they are real--they're actual drum performances recorded (at some "Famous" studio in NYC, I dunno where) then chopped up into bits that fall nicely into 1, 2 or sometimes more measures. They work to include some decent variety in the same set: some tight, some open, lots of HH, ride cymbals, some rolls or flams, etc. So you can arrange 'em and make your own song. Sorry to sound like I'm selling 'em, but I thought it was funny that you liked them but hate fake drums. I like 'em too, cause they're real, but I can still "write" with 'em.

Sorry for the ramble...

I think I know where James is coming from. Some people don't like loops because you don't "play" them. I understand that thinking, but I'm still not gonna start playing drums:D

Good Southern rockin' jam. A couple of things jumped out at me though. As James said, the vocals do sound distant in the mix...I noticed that from the first line. They could stand to come up a notch or two, and maybe cut some of the reverb on them.

Second, the drums seemed a bit busy at times...lots and lots of fills.

Other than that, fine job!!

Thanks Boo, I'm one of those guys that hates the sound of my own voice, so I'll put it more upfront next time. I appreciate the suggestions.

Sounds great!!!! Very cool hard-rock.
I got no problem with the drum sound, loops or not. But, if I can nit-pick, I'm not crazy about the beat all the way through. The bass drum is a little busy and just seems to distract too much (maybe it only distarcts me, though...:) ). Everything else is awesome. Great lead, vocals, and tune.

Not bad, I think there's a lot of low end sludge in the bass. There just seems to be a lot of low end energy overall. It could be tighter. The vocals are kind of bright and boxy. Guitars sound good. Cool rock song. I agree that the drums are too busy, but what can ta do? They sound pretty good overall.

Cool song. Hot guitar and vocal tone. Bass could be rhythmically tighter with the drumset, and the L/R guitars are a little loose when they're playing the same rhythm.

Thanks a lot XLR, I'm a fairly sloppy player and have not been as active in playing as I should. As for the drums, I just ordered EZ drummer today, so look forward to some real crappy playing while I learn that lol. Glad you enjoyed the tune.

I'm with Rami. The kick figure during the verse is too busy and repetitive. Just do it every four times or something. Same with the chorus drum parts. Try not to do a fill more than once or twice.

Straight ahead works for this one.

Great guitar solo.

I just got EZ Drummer today, so hopefully I'll use it on the next tune. I'll keep it simple, hopefully I will move away from loops.

Back