New guitar for metal

johndowis

I've been playing guitar for 8 years. I own:

ESP M-350 with EMG 85/81 pickups
Hamer something with EMG HZ pickups
a few other guitars I never play

I originally learned to play with songs like early Metallica and Megadeath, but after a couple years I went out and started playing all different kinds of music. Now I am about to start getting back into metal, but more technical stuff like power metal. I need a good guitar for soloing, so it needs a good tremelo (none of my guitars have a tremelo) and good pickups that have good response for harmonic overtones.

I have been considering an Ibanez S-Series, such as the S520EX. Then I'd probably put in either a set of DiMarzio Evolutions or switch in the EMG 85/81 off of my ESP. However, I don't really have the money to spend on something that expensive, and would really rather find something in the $300-400 range if at all possible. I just need something capable of doing what I need, which admittedly mostly revolves around having a good tremelo on a guitar that otherwise gets the job done. This is just to practice and learn the style, and in a year I will graduate from my master's program and have enough desposable income to really get something nice.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?

well I play in a power metal band and I always use Ibanez... the other guitarist (my brother) has an Ibanez RG370DX and it's pretty much the best "budget" guitar I've ever seen... other than the pickups it is perfect!

I would get one of those and shove in Evolutions if you can (I have an RG1570 Prestige with Evolutions and it is the perfect power metal guitar (imho..))...

Check out the RG series anyway!

Sorry t disagree but frankly, Ibanez is a toy... you know, it doesn't have its own personality (as a Gibson or a fender) It's a guitar made to play "eveything". When you want to please everyone, you end pleasing no one.

I play death metal and the only chice for true metal tone is Jackson. Every single music that play metal has used at least one Jackson axe in his life: Metallica, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Death, Kreator... the list is endless. If you're planning to play power metal and want a great axe, I'll recommend this one:

DKMG
Nice look and beast tone for soloing
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2910100585

Maybe the best solits axe will be the

SL1 Soloist
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2803070885
COmes with Seymour Duncan and Original Floyd Rose Tremolo

Treat yourself man, don't buy a toy, buy a REAL axe!

I tend to like Ibanez. I have played an S-Series and I really liked it's feel and light weight. The stock pickups weren't that great, but you generally shouldn't buy a guitar for it's pickups anyway. I've always felt like my next guitar would be an Ibanez.

A lot of power metal lead guitarists (maybe not so much black metal, etc) such as Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and my personal favorite Herman Li, use Ibanez guitars. Obviously that's not a reason to use Ibanez, as they are using $2000 custom models, but I do think Ibanez is more than a "toy."

I'll definitely check out the RG series. What's the main difference with the S series? From what I can tell, the RG series is lighter, whereas the S series is thick around the middle to give more tone, but light around the edges, like some type of hybrid heavy/light guitar.

I agree with Killthepixel about the Jackson's when it comes to Metal, at least explore your options. If you can try different guitars through the same amp (preferably the same one you have so it's familiar to your ears) in one sitting, and keep playing three or four of them ti'll you can hear the difference in the picks ups. Then narrow your selection down until you have your mind made up and you're convinced and satisfied. Play with the toggle switch, play it clean also because you will probably or may have parts that will require that.
Good luck!

killthepixel said:
Sorry t disagree but frankly, Ibanez is a toy... you know, it doesn't have its own personality (as a Gibson or a fender) It's a guitar made to play "eveything". When you want to please everyone, you end pleasing no one.

I play death metal and the only chice for true metal tone is Jackson. Every single music that play metal has used at least one Jackson axe in his life: Metallica, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Death, Kreator... the list is endless. If you're planning to play power metal and want a great axe......
Treat yourself man, don't buy a toy, buy a REAL axe!

Dude, I play Jacksons and I still think your post is somewhat ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Yeah, higher end Jacksons are super nice, but if your budget is limited and you're looking at cheaper guitars you've just gotta go with whichever one feels best to you. Cheap Jacksons are really no better than anything else. In fact, Ibanez may give you more for your money at that price point...especially if you've got some quallity pick-ups to use. My suggestion is to just play the guitar first. At that price point you can grab some really nice guitars, and some pieces of shit....all from the same company. You've gotta be selective.

That rant about jackson was ridiculous.

Get an esp ltd h-1000 deluxe (or a esp horizon). Smoothest guitar ever!

dude, a friend of mine has a hot pink Ibanez with Jackson pickups in it that he wants to get rid of.

Got one of them Floyd Roses on it.

Its a littl gay, but nothin some black spray paint can't fix!!

Prob sell it cheap. Interested? PM me

With your budget, I would get a used Jackson. Something that is 8 or 10 years old but not too beat. I'm convinced that those guitars are better than the new ones.

My first real axe was an ESP M1 "custom" (not custom for me though, just its name). I used it for metal. It slayed. Neck kind of twisted, so it's in the closet. I played an LTD recently that felt exactly the same! I'd switch out the p/up though.

A Jackson in your price range will be OK, but you'll soon hate it.

An Ibanez would be great IF you switch out the stock pickup and shoot for one that has an Edge trem.

Farview said:
With your budget, I would get a used Jackson. Something that is 8 or 10 years old but not too beat. I'm convinced that those guitars are better than the new ones.
You're damn right, old ones are better constructed and they sound better than the ones fender is releasing.

woah woah woah killthepixel..

start again and read his post - he wants a BUDGET GUITAR!!!!!!!!

Now I have personal experience of budget Jacksons, my brother had one as his first guitar - what happened? The Floyd Rose copy trem rusted to pieces after about a year - utter piece of shit... the thing almost fell to bits!

The trem that is used on the Ibanez RG setries, even the budget models is ****ing awesome... its a really REALLY good trem - the only diifference in the budget models is the pickups really, which you would want to personalise with any guitar.

Your Jackson post was also ridiculous for other reasons but I can't be bothered, I just can't believe how far you missed the point by.

Hands down, budget metal guitar = Ibanez RG NO DOUBT.

PS - The S series is really nice looking too, I like it - Herman Li uses a top end one and it has an even better trem than the others - if you break a string with those trems the rest still stay in perfect tune! Amazing...

killthepixel said:
You can get a nice Jackson under 650 bucks. Jackson Warrior WRXT, "X" shaped with killer sound.

johndowis said:
However, I don't really have the money to spend on something that expensive, and would really rather find something in the $300-400 range if at all possible. I just need something capable of doing what I need, which admittedly mostly revolves around having a good tremelo on a guitar that otherwise gets the job done.

The benefits of reading the brief... he wants a budget guitar with a good tremolo - unless the Jackson has an original floyd rose you will hate it after 6 months...

I've been setting up peoples guitars for 7 years, if your going to use the trem id recomend

a) getting a strat style trem and adding springs till its pulled all the way back to the body when not in use

-or more likely for the fun gymnastics youd prolly like for metal solos

b) a Floyd Rose floating trem

beyond that just find one that you like the feel and tone of and dont worry what name is on the headstock. There were metal kids in college who would come down to my room to party and absolutely SHRED on my Fender Mustang. With a good set-up any set of strings and frets can play any kind of music.

Back