New Guitar amp

ex351d

Hi I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with an Eminence stock speaker and its cabinet with Celestion 70/80 speaker. The HRD has a nice clean sound but I do not like the distorted sound. I was looking at the Marshall DSL40C and the Orange OR15H. What would you recommend to increase the versatility. Also, does the Orange have enough clean headroom?

That particular Marshall will be much more versatile than the Orange. It's a two channel amp, but each channel can be split, so it's essentially four channels. That's a lot of variety. I've never used the OR15 so I can't speak on it's clean headroom, but most low watt amps don't do very good for clean headroom. They compress and flatten out pretty quickly.

What are you gonna be doing with these amps? Recording? Gigging? Both?

The speaker(s) and cab makes a big difference too. Those 70/80 Celestions are not the sweetest sounding speakers out there.

I've been trying to decide between similar amps to you. Let us know if you try any out and tell us what you think. Top of my list is a Blackstar Studio 20. I think the 40 Blackstar and the DSL will be a bit loud for recording at home... In my place anyway.

I cannot try the orange as the only supplier in my country closed. I think that this week ill try the new DSL40c and the DSL401 JCM2000. I would be mostly recording with it but I may also use it for a couple of gigs.

I recently bought a Hughes and Kettner Grandmiester 36. It's a four channel amp that has power soak and red box out that could quite possibly completely take over from my rack units for studio use. Certainly worth playing through one to hear what this amp is capable of while checking out your other options. Along with the four channels it has boost available for each and the settings across the four channels are completely independent of each other. I'm planning on getting the midi foot-switch for it which will provide access to the present banks on the amp, though to be fair thus far the four channels plus the boost option for each gets me pretty much any tone I fancy. It might not be your cuppa but it's certainly worth hearing alongside your other options.

Back