Re-amp guitars with BOSS PEDAL instead of re-amp box?

Svemir

Hi guys/girls,

so I'm recording at home my guitar with Cakewalk, using an Amp sim in within the DAW from Overloud.
Now I would like to use my DD-200 Boss pedal as an effect instead of the plugins within the DAW.
For convenience I would like to be able to re-amp the delay effect for the following reasons:
- The effects should sound better after distortion (amp sim in my DAW) as it is usually placed at the end of the signal chain
- If I place the delay effect before the audio interface and before getting into my daw the guitar will be recorded with the delay, not clean, this means that if I would like to change the delay settings after recording for some reason (like delay time, intensity, type or whatever) or maybe because I notice some mistake, I will need to record everything again, while if I re-amp the delay I can re-play the clean track recorded in my daw, and re-amp it back with the delay where I would be free to change the settings.

Now, I have read that instead of buying a re-amp box, I could use whatever Boss pedal (like my boss tuner for instance) as a reamp box, because apparently it has the same functionality, watch the video here:
Can you confirm this can be done?

Also, since I have an interface with only one input, it's a really basic Seinberg UR12, I would need to buy a new audio interface so that with 2 inputs/outputs I can re-amp it.
I'm just a bit struggling to understand which one would better fit for my needs.
I would like, if possible, to be able to not switch cables and do re-amping in the second step after recording, but I would like to be able to do that simultaneusly, with that I mean recording the clean track while reamping at the same time, because I would need to hear the Boss DD-200 effect while I record the track.
So based on these infos, how many output/inputs I would need to have in my audio interface?
I'm considering these 2 models, of course there is a big difference in price, so I would like to get the Focusrite 2i2, but not sure if with those 2 line outputs would be enough,
maybe I could use the headphone output to be able to listen to the track while I record, and the 2 line outputs on the back to re-amp? Or do I need to get the 4i4 Focusrite?
Please notice the delay pedal effect would be better recorded in stereo, in any case I should also consider the price difference, if it worth it.

2i2
254890321_3151391781747221_9030888746050452602_n.png

4i4
255449850_583686226201945_1528345271937180636_n.png

You are going to want the 4i4. The line outputs on the 2i2 are most likely to be used for your monitors.

But, if you want to record the di signal from the guitar while monitoring the Amp Sim and sending signal to the delay pedal and hearing/recording the delay pedal in stereo, you will need 3 inputs. One to plug the guitar into and two to get the stereo output of the pedal.

If you use the pedal as a separate process, the 4i4 is perfect.

You are going to want the 4i4. The line outputs on the 2i2 are most likely to be used for your monitors.

But, if you want to record the di signal from the guitar while monitoring the Amp Sim and sending signal to the delay pedal and hearing/recording the delay pedal in stereo, you will need 3 inputs. One to plug the guitar into and two to get the stereo output of the pedal.

mmm ok I get it, I thought I could use the headphones output for my headphones (I don't use monitors) and the two line outputs for the re-amp?
I see what you mean I would need 3 input, what if I record the re-amped delay with one input only? I mean in mono? and maybe after use some stereoize plugin in the DAW to make it stereo again? would that suck?
Cause not even the 4i4 has 3 inputs, so I would need the 8i8 for this bullshit, too expensive.

Or I could even get this one, very interesting, it's an audio interface with integrated re-amp, so no need for a re-amp box, and it's also a tube interface.
I think it's mainly for guitars only but you can also plug a microfone or some other instrument other than guitar. seems interesting.

OK, first lets get our terms straight.
Re-amping is when you are coming out of the DAW into an actual guitar amplifier. That is when you need the signal to closely match what a guitar puts out, otherwise the guitar amp won't react the same as it would when plugging a guitar into it.

What you want to do with the delay pedal is not re-amping. It is using outboard effects with a DAW. You do not need anything more than line outputs and line inputs to accomplish that. I use Cubase/Nuendo and it allows you to create an I/O loop that works like a plugin. I used to do this all the time when I had a bunch of outboard effects that were worth the hassle. I also had 32 channels of I/O at the time, so it wasn't a big deal.

I looked at a couple videos about that interface, this one seemed the most informative

After watching it, I'm not sure it is as useful as it may seem at first.

If you don't have monitors, then the output problem is a non-issue.

You still have the input problem. Usually, what makes a stereo delay effect is that there are different delays on the left than the right. Recording it in mono, you will lose that difference. Yes, you could do something to make the effect stereo in the DAW, but it would just be a mono delay with some chorus on it or something. It won't be the delay sound that you were using the pedal for in the first place. At that point, you might as well just use a delay plugin in the DAW and not have to worry going in and out of the interface 3 times during the recording phase.

If you don't need to hear that delay pedal while you are recording, the 2i2 would work fine for running the guitar signal out to the pedal and recording the outputs of the pedal back into the DAW. Since it is a separate process, you will just need one output and two inputs.

OK, first lets get our terms straight.
Re-amping is when you are coming out of the DAW into an actual guitar amplifier. That is when you need the signal to closely match what a guitar puts out, otherwise the guitar amp won't react the same as it would when plugging a guitar into it.

What you want to do with the delay pedal is not re-amping. It is using outboard effects with a DAW. You do not need anything more than line outputs and line inputs to accomplish that. I use Cubase/Nuendo and it allows you to create an I/O loop that works like a plugin. I used to do this all the time when I had a bunch of outboard effects that were worth the hassle. I also had 32 channels of I/O at the time, so it wasn't a big deal.

I looked at a couple videos about that interface, this one seemed the most informative

After watching it, I'm not sure it is as useful as it may seem at first.

If you don't have monitors, then the output problem is a non-issue.

You still have the input problem. Usually, what makes a stereo delay effect is that there are different delays on the left than the right. Recording it in mono, you will lose that difference. Yes, you could do something to make the effect stereo in the DAW, but it would just be a mono delay with some chorus on it or something. It won't be the delay sound that you were using the pedal for in the first place. At that point, you might as well just use a delay plugin in the DAW and not have to worry going in and out of the interface 3 times during the recording phase.

If you don't need to hear that delay pedal while you are recording, the 2i2 would work fine for running the guitar signal out to the pedal and recording the outputs of the pedal back into the DAW. Since it is a separate process, you will just need one output and two inputs.

Right I get it man, so I’m out of budget for buying a interface with 3 inputs, so I might renounce to record and re-amp at the same time, I will do that in a second take.
So basically you need the re-amp box just if you use a real amp but not just for the effect pedals am I right? So no need of a re-amp option neither in the audient interface, at this point it’s just a simple choice between the focusrite 2i2 and this audient. The only cool thing about the audient is that is a tube preamp, so you can go directly into the DAW with a warm tube guitar sound, but at that point I don’t know how much sense it has to use the amp sim, since the interface would have already its own sound, and I ‘m afraid I would be limited by that.

That's my take on the audient too. It's cool if you want to play through its Amp Sim with zero latency while recording the part, only saving the di. But it's probably better to record through the Sim that you intend to use.

The sound of the audient guitar tone isn't great. You also wouldn't want to run the signal through a cabinet sim on the audient, then use that signal to run through an Amp Sim in the DAW.

Back