New Gear test on blues standard tune

Anfontan

Banned by eurt
Here is a blues cover I did to demo some new gear, a Nady 'Fathead' ribbon mike and new GFS pickups I installed in a Tele kit I built a few years back. The Ribbon mike is only on the vocals and a Beta 58 clone was used to record the guitar part.

The new pickups are a GFS Alnico Tele neck pickup and a Alnico Fatbody 10K OVERWOUND Tele Bridge Pickup. I used a BD-2 Blues Driver and a Deluxe Memory Man into a Johnson Laredo T25-R tube amp.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6573598

Hi, ANFONTAN!

Nice song, great vocal recording (ribbon?nice to know)
I´m suposing (as you don´t talked) bass and drums are sampler...I tried something(gain) around 70/100,that, at least to me, improves the bass frequencies.

Guitar tone is nice too...I prefer more mids (around 600 or 700hz),but is my taste...

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/openstation

Hi, ANFONTAN!

Nice song, great vocal recording (ribbon?nice to know)
I´m suposing (as you don´t talked) bass and drums are sampler...I tried something(gain) around 70/100,that, at least to me, improves the bass frequencies.

Guitar tone is nice too...I prefer more mids (around 600 or 700hz),but is my taste...

Ciro

Thank you for listening and the comments Ciro.
It is actually a rhythm track that APL posted for a Rumble once...everyone would play lead solos over it..
The new pickups arrived and I used the rhythm track so I could change out the pickups but still have a reference for the original sound-the rhythm guitar and the very first solo are the original pickups.
Yes, the overdrive and it being a Telecaster did give it more highs than I needed-I might try a remix and adjust it..

Old version was better (IMO).

Guitar is hidden than before, I suggested (remembering,my personal taste) something to give a "body" on GTR mids (that´s why I talked about a gain ~700 hz,altough I don´t know the recording and possibility to eq the track).
Seems you cutted around 1/3 k, nor exactly a big issue, I think.

And the boost on highs (cimbals) seems a little "over" , I think old version souded more well balanced.

Ciro

Those tele pickups sound pretty good. I'm finding they cut through the mix without any problem. For recording I might use a few less highs but that personal taste. I think for live you'd probably do well with these as set - again cutting through the mix - especially for say a three piece.

You mentioned the rhythm track was from an old rumble. Would like to hear some rhythm if possible to see how it chugs along. If it's already there let me know...the current rhythm track sounds okay....

:):D:):D

Remixed and cut back the Tele's highs--hope it sounds a bit better....:o

Deleted that mix and adjusted the lead guitar and rythmn track as Ciro suggested and brought rhythm guitar up as Ido suggested. Listen to the new mix on link below.........Tony..

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6600051

Yep sounds better. Guitar is nice and smooth sounding now. The echo/reverb on the vocals give it a real live hall effect. Although it does sound okay, I'd like to hear it a little drier so it sits closer to the same space as the instruments. The whole performance is great, and the vibe you have now is rockin' rockabilly. That's why I would say it's your choice on the vocals. I think reducing effects will shift to more of a blues/bar rocker which is equally a favorite. :cool::D:cool::D

Listented to the latest mix. Maybe needs a little more lower mids in the guitar and a little less in the bass gtr and drumsest submix. Nice guitar work, man.

Yep sounds better. Guitar is nice and smooth sounding now. The echo/reverb on the vocals give it a real live hall effect. Although it does sound okay, I'd like to hear it a little drier so it sits closer to the same space as the instruments. The whole performance is great, and the vibe you have now is rockin' rockabilly. That's why I would say it's your choice on the vocals. I think reducing effects will shift to more of a blues/bar rocker which is equally a favorite. :cool::D:cool::D

Thanks again for listening Gerry, I strive to get a sound similar to the songs you regularly post. They always sound great, I will check and see if I have a dry vocal in my wav. files and see what other delay/reverb settings might work better.

Listened to the latest mix. Maybe needs a little more lower mids in the guitar and a little less in the bass gtr and drumsest submix. Nice guitar work, man.

Thanks to you too XLR, I was just making a quick recording and it ended up way brighter than it should have been-thanks for the compliment though! I gave the rhythm track a boost in the lows-I'll try to drop the gain on the low end.

Really great lead lines, I love that brashness about Telecasters. Just the right amount of gain and definetely quite an abrasive sound - gotta love it! Maybe pull back a little on the reverb?

Really great lead lines, I love that brashness about Telecasters. Just the right amount of gain and definitely quite an abrasive sound - gotta love it! Maybe pull back a little on the reverb?

Thanks for checking the song out Paul, I swear that a Tele's brash tone cuts through a mix like no other guitar can. I've used Les Pauls, SGs, Flying Vs, Archtop hollowbodies & Strats over the many years-the Tele seems to cut the best!
I'll look for another more subtle reverb for the mix!;)

Anfontan--

I'm liking this tune! (Listening as I write). Yep, that Tele cuts through nice and clear. I personally like the 'verb. I guess that's you singing, too? Sounds good!

The guitar playing is sweet. I'm just 2 hrs away--I swear I'd like to haul my strat (GFS equipped, too!) down there and learn some blues licks from you!

Nice work!

Nice playing and singing - I'm not the biggest fan of electric blues, but I'm having no problem listening to this over and over (the various mixes). This last one is the best, but the hat is maybe a little high. I also like the reverb, and I usually don't like that either -- nice job! :)

Sounding good Tony....I'm listening to the second mix right now. Vocals are turning out nice....love the guitar tone for this. Maybe make it a bit louder in the mix....or drop the drums a slight bit as was noted before.

Fun tune man....:D

pretty nice .... guitar distortion has that 'bees in a can' sort of quality to it.
Maybe you have the gain a bit too high on that blues driver? It sounds a bit harsh to me but I want to be clear that I'm ralking about the distortion and not the guitar.

....love the guitar tone for this. Maybe make it a bit louder in the mix....or drop the drums a slight bit as was noted before.

Fun tune man....:D
Good (last) mix, and I understand what dog said (Tim/XLR said it too) about the drums.Drums (bass drum sub)are a bit loud (you could try lowering it a little or cutting arond 50hz (sub bass).
And adding something around ~80hz in the bass guitar, to "glue" better with drums.
But now is like an option,and If you have some patience ...
Song/performance is nice and it´s working...that´s what people are thinking about:cool:

Ciro

Back