New gap comp-54 and digital upgrade for ISA One the way

Jimtl

I decided to order a GAP Comp-54 from MF using their 15% discount ... It's actually a birthday present from my wife so even better. This will be my first hardware compressor.

I haven't done any recording in the last 7 or 8 months so I'm looking forward to jumping back in. I plan to plug into the send receive of my ISA One.

I also ordered the digital Stereo ADC for my ISA One ... Hopefully it will be a nice upgrade.

Sounds cool man, looking forward to hearing some clips once you've got it set up :)

Thanks, Hopefully, the digital card upgrade for the ISA One will be easy AND work as planned. I'm planning to use the s/pdif out into my firestudio mobile ... According to the folks at Focusrite, it will work with the right cable. All the gear should be here by Thursday, I hope to have something to share by next weekend.:listeningmusic:

Well I have the gear except for an important spdif/coverter cable ... Argh backordered. So, it'll be a few more weeks before I really have a chance to try all the gear out. I'll post some samples after everything arrives.

ahh the joys of non-standardised SPDIF connections :rolleyes: . in the meantime why not just plug it in to one of the line in's on the back of the firestudio mobile and see how it goes?

I did try it out ... Seems like it will be great on vocals. Also... I ran an optical cable to a cheap ($10) toslink to digital coax converter ... And it worked lol. It does seem to have a little better clarity than plugging in with TRS. Anyway, once the proper cables arrive, I'll post some samples.

and now i'm more intrigued as i have the ISA220 just going into a line in on the back of firestudio mobile and have never really thought much about getting the digital card for it. if you get a chance once you've got all the cables i'd love to hear a comparison between the ISA one connected via the line inputs and it connected via the digital card :)

it'd also open up another line in on my firestudio mobile that i may have to fill with a GAP Pre73 :D

and now i'm more intrigued as i have the ISA220 just going into a line in on the back of firestudio mobile and have never really thought much about getting the digital card for it. if you get a chance once you've got all the cables i'd love to hear a comparison between the ISA one connected via the line inputs and it connected via the digital card :)

it'd also open up another line in on my firestudio mobile that i may have to fill with a GAP Pre73 :D

That's the same setup I'm using (ISA One into Firestudio mobile). I will definitely post comparisons once the cables arrive. I've been curious about the digital upgrade ...

I contacted Focusrite via email and the Technical rep wrote ... "You will be able to do this via the SPDIF input on your Firestudio mobile ... You will be gaining 2 more inputs with higher quality conversion, so this is definitely a worthwhile upgrade."

So i figured I'd give it a shot. The only down side is I couldn't find the Spdif conversion cable in stock anywhere.

That's the same setup I'm using (ISA One into Firestudio mobile). I will definitely post comparisons once the cables arrive. I've been curious about the digital upgrade ...

That's why i'm very intrigued :D saying that, i just had a look for the digital card for the ISA220 and focusrite don't make it any more and the only place i found it (outside of ebay) cost £379 new! i could buy a whole new ISA One for that price :facepalm:

Justsomeguy and Jimtl, do you mind me asking if you're using mac's or pc's? I want to get the firestudio mobile and I'm pretty sure it's compatible.

I've been using the firestudio with a PC, but recently switched to Mac. It runs fine with both. In fact, I was suprised to find it worked right away with my new Mac ... Very much plug and play. I use a firewire 400 to 800 cable and it works perfectly. Fwiw, i also upgraded to Studio one v.2 Pro and find it is a nice upgrade.

By the way ... S/pdif converter/cable is still backordered .. Arghhhhh.

Back