new funk action story... "Chicago Gangster Legend"

SnakeDog5050

2 headed snake witha rake
with vocal appearances and backup vocals by Dogman, Dolphin_Babe, and Dr. Z

Any mix comments, thoughts, suggestions, complaints, anythings are welcome :D
The mix is still on the raw side and there's a lot going on as the story builds, but I tried to incorporate some of what LemonTree did to my last song.

"Chicago Gangster Legend: D-Monster X"
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandid=392607&songid=3662115&content=song

He became big, bigger than capone along with the big shot roaches and their dodgeball coach. But when he falls in love with the nurse Ghetto RN and wants out, the big shots (led by the 20 foot roach) have something else to say.

Attachments

• CD cover CGL.jpg
    CD cover CGL.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Dude...that is too funky man.... :D
I dig it. The playing is spot and and cool, and the story is just fun. I'm listening on headphones right now, as ,y wife is busy working on a project right next to me, so no mix comments. Sounds good on the phones though. I like the guitar tone. Just enough fuzz to it.
Cool song man.
Ed

Dogman said:
Dude...that is too funky man.... :D
I dig it. The playing is spot and and cool, and the story is just fun. I'm listening on headphones right now, as ,y wife is busy working on a project right next to me, so no mix comments. Sounds good on the phones though. I like the guitar tone. Just enough fuzz to it.
Cool song man.
Ed

Thanks dawg, and thanks for the vocals too ;) I like how they added a lot of meat to the chorus... dog meat :p Haha, it actually looks like you lost muscle on the pic I used for the cover from what I saw on your myspace page.
The clean tones are modifications of my Stevie Ray Vaughn presets and the dirty ones are mods of my Slash presets, with added effects OF COURSE and the wah wah pedal.
Glad you dug it, I had a lot of fun doing this one :D

SnakeDog5050 said:
with vocal appearances and backup vocals by Dogman, Dolphin_Babe, and Dr. Z

Any mix comments, thoughts, suggestions, complaints, anythings are welcome :D
The mix is still on the raw side and there's a lot going on as the story builds, but I tried to incorporate some of what LemonTree did to my last song.

"Chicago Gangster Legend: D-Monster X"
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandid=392607&songid=3662115&content=song

He became big, bigger than capone along with the big shot roaches and their dodgeball coach. But when he falls in love with the nurse Ghetto RN and wants out, the big shots (led by the 20 foot roach) have something else to say.

HEY sNAKEdUDE,

Grand Funk Master!!!!!

I love the sound and the attack of the drums you are using!......I need them, What do you use SnakeDude?
What a ride!
I think your vocals could be bought forward in the mix, they are just a little too buried!
I think your soloing here is some of the best you have played, and I love the interlude or trailing out towards the end of the song at 3:23.
The guitars could do with a slight boost in the lows.

Another epic by the SnakeDude!
Well Done!
Gorty :)

Well, Snake, you know I will always add whatever I can to your stuff. It is smoken my friend.... :D

Gorty said:
HEY sNAKEdUDE,

Grand Funk Master!!!!!

I love the sound and the attack of the drums you are using!......I need them, What do you use SnakeDude?
What a ride!
I think your vocals could be bought forward in the mix, they are just a little too buried!
I think your soloing here is some of the best you have played, and I love the interlude or trailing out towards the end of the song at 3:23.
The guitars could do with a slight boost in the lows.

Another epic by the SnakeDude!
Well Done!
Gorty :)

Thanks a lot Gort dawg! Glad you were straight down with tha funk :cool:
I always use Simon Phillips for my drums... I bought his classic rock pack and mix and match for all my songs now... you can check them out here, http://www.sessionloops.com/ I recommend them, I used to spend too much time messing with different drums trying to get a "real" or fitting sound.. now I have this huge pack of real drum loops to mess with and I get to focus a lot more on the jamming :D
Thanks for the tips too. I think I cut the low in the guitar a little too much since I was trying to get a cleaner mix like LemonTrees. So it's LemonTree's fault :p jk.
And thanks about the soloing too, coming from Grand Geetar Masta Gort Dawg Xtreme that means a lot :)
Peace out yo!

SnakeDog5050 said:
Thanks a lot Gort dawg! Glad you were straight down with tha funk :cool:
I always use Simon Phillips for my drums... I bought his classic rock pack and mix and match for all my songs now... you can check them out here, http://www.sessionloops.com/ I recommend them, I used to spend too much time messing with different drums trying to get a "real" or fitting sound.. now I have this huge pack of real drum loops to mess with and I get to focus a lot more on the jamming :D
Thanks for the tips too. I think I cut the low in the guitar a little too much since I was trying to get a cleaner mix like LemonTrees. So it's LemonTree's fault :p jk.
And thanks about the soloing too, coming from Grand Geetar Masta Gort Dawg Xtreme that means a lot :)
Peace out yo!

Thanx for the link SnakeDude!

Simon Philips used to play with AC/DC for a while I think!.....Great Drummer!

Gorty said:
Thanx for the link SnakeDude!

Simon Philips used to play with AC/DC for a while I think!.....Great Drummer!

Sure man ;) He's done some work with Joe Satriani and a bunch others too, I see he has 4 tracks on his satch's new CD "Super Colossal". I'm really digging that CD, just came in the mail the other day :D :D can't get enough right now...

SnakeDog5050 said:
Sure man ;) He's done some work with Joe Satriani and a bunch others too, I see he has 4 tracks on his satch's new CD "Super Colossal". I'm really digging that CD, just came in the mail the other day :D :D can't get enough right now...

I have all Joe's CD's and was dissapointed with his last one. Is "Super Colossal" a good album compared to say "Surfing with the Alien" and "Flying in a Blue Dream"??????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Gorty said:
I have all Joe's CD's and was dissapointed with his last one. Is "Super Colossal" a good album compared to say "Surfing with the Alien" and "Flying in a Blue Dream"??????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

His last one? You mean "Is there love in space?" Honestly I guess I could say I was somewhat dissappointed in that one too, after a while there's only a few tracks I really like. So I was kind of careful with his next one, but ended up following his podcast and liked every song that showed up... he put a lot more into the rhythms and song writing I thought... I really dig it :D You can check out the Podcast with all the songs here to see if you like it ahead of time...
http://www.satriani.com/podcast/Super_Colossal/
at the bottom you can listen to the whole Super Colossal song too.

SnakeDog5050 said:
His last one? You mean "Is there love in space?" Honestly I guess I could say I was somewhat dissappointed in that one too, after a while there's only a few tracks I really like. So I was kind of careful with his next one, but ended up following his podcast and liked every song that showed up... he put a lot more into the rhythms and song writing I thought... I really dig it :D You can check out the Podcast with all the songs here to see if you like it ahead of time...
http://www.satriani.com/podcast/Super_Colossal/
at the bottom you can listen to the whole Super Colossal song too.

Cheers SnakeDude for another link!

What version of Simon Phillips loops do you use Snake?????......I am gonna be getting me these drum loops!

Have you got Volume 1??????

Cheers for the info SnakeDude! :)

Gorty said:
Cheers SnakeDude for another link!

What version of Simon Phillips loops do you use Snake?????......I am gonna be getting me these drum loops!

Have you got Volume 1??????

Cheers for the info SnakeDude! :)

Sure man ;) I have volume 1. The classic rock pack on CD that has everything from those samples they have up.. like ACDC and etc. I have the stereo edition... but if you want to mess around with it more they have a multi track edition. Every song I have on my soundclick page but "Dogs in Outer Space" "G-Dawg 7" and "Llamas" uses those if you want to check them out a bit more...
Cool, check out that Podcast when you get a chance, I think as a guitar player it'll be worth it.. good stuff :D

SnakeDog5050 said:
Sure man ;) I have volume 1. The classic rock pack on CD that has everything from those samples they have up.. like ACDC and etc. I have the stereo edition... but if you want to mess around with it more they have a multi track edition. Every song I have on my soundclick page but "Dogs in Outer Space" "G-Dawg 7" and "Llamas" uses those if you want to check them out a bit more...
Cool, check out that Podcast when you get a chance, I think as a guitar player it'll be worth it.. good stuff :D

Thanx again SnakeDude,

I am podcasting as I type, great stuff so far!

I will check out your tunes again! Your drums on "Chicago Gangster Legend" has sold me!

Cheers
Gorty

Yo Mr. Snake! This is great! Hahahaha, I find it funny how much "truth" there is to this story... tell the story dude! Do it.

My vocals come in and turn this into a FUNK MACHINE. Haha, well I tried :) I can hear my part barely in the choruses too.

Soloing and funk sounds are excellent, I like it! Although some of the group vocals sound a bit cluttered at times :confused:

and the slow section is great, you might want to bring up the vocals some there. and the guitar gets a little loud at 4:10. I can feel the emotion there. D-Monsta X is snakedog's father.. this story is way true... well except for Snake's sudden obession with roaches :rolleyes: :D :) :p

Fun song, I really like what you did here! Cheers S-Dawg

Last edited:
Cool arrangement and pictures. Great vocals and gtrs.

Cymbals are a little hot maybe?

Nice change-up in the middle. Vocal could be higher there.

The tone(s) of the guitars are really very good all through this.

Tim

Snakedoggy dog....you da snake of the dogs, the wake of the frogs, the surf-wah master, 80s action funk0caster....yes you rock, yes you roll, never catch you in a docie doe!! :D

Snakedoggy stuff here!!

Yo yo yo Dolphin, Tim, and True! Thanks for the listens, comments, and rhymes... I appreciate it :)

Right now I'm working on doing a slight remix taking everyone's suggestions, I'll see how that turns out and post it soon... and Dolphin, maybe I'll post some true D-Monsta X tales for everyone too :D

Tim's spot on with this mix Snakedog. Just a few minor changes and it will be smokin'. Always look forward to your tunes man, they are great.....

New mix

ido1957 said:
Tim's spot on with this mix Snakedog. Just a few minor changes and it will be smokin'. Always look forward to your tunes man, they are great.....

Hey thanks ido, glad you enjoy my tunes! :)

I just updated the file with a slighty different mix, based on the feedback and taking a few days off from the mix. Mainly I,
- raised the vox in the slow section a bunch (too much?? too little?)
- meated up the low/mid on electric rhythm guitar a tad
- lowered the cymbals some, not sure if it's enough yet since I agree they were somewhat out of hand originally.
- raised the overall vocals a tad, ran a de-esser, and tried leveling them some more
- cleaned up/EQed the group vocal mix

I thought this overall mix sounded better in the truck played back to back, any thoughts or additional feedback are welcome :D

the link to the new mix (same as above)
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/...15&content=song

Back