New Firepod Firmware and Drivers Available

aaroncomp

1-20-2009
http://presonus.com/firepodFWupdater.html

Windows XP

2.14 Driver/Firmware Updater Instructions:

The 2.14 driver version is a replacement for all other Firepod driver versions before it. The firmware should be updated on all Firepods using the new Firmware Updater included with the driver package. The latest driver/firmware package addresses minor stability issues, increases stability when using multiple Firepods, and adds a new standalone feature.

Installing this Driver:

1. Download the 2.14 Driver Firmware Update (FIREPOD Windows XP Driver ver 2.14)

2. Run the installer and follow all instructions.

3. At the end of the installer, the Firmware updater will prompt you to update the Firmware on your Firepod(s) by clicking "Launch". If you have more than one Firepod, you will need to update the Firmware on one Firepod at a time. Disconnect all but one and run the Firmware updater on the unit connected by clicking on "Launch" again.

VERY IMPORTANT: Do not allow the firewire or power connection to become disconnected during the Firmware update. If this happens, the Firepod can be rendered inoperable, and will need to be serviced.

Add a Second or Third Firepod anytime:

If you only have one Firepods, you can very easily add another (or two) to your system with the new driver. Just chain the new Firepod to the open Firewire port on an existing Firepod that is connected to your computer, and turn it on. The new unit will automatically be installed, and you will be guided through a single install screen. Once the new Firepod is installed, disconnect all Firepods except for the newest Firepod (if adding two Firepods, please connect one at a time), wait until you see a blue sync light, and then run the Firmware updater from the Programs list (PreSonus 1394 Audio Driver V.2.14.0 (Firepod)/Firmware Updater). When the firmware updater is finished, reconnect all Firepods and turn them on. Once all are in sync, you should see them listed in the Active Units Panel in the Control Panel, as well as in your DAW software.
(Note: All Firepods connected need to have the latest Firmware loaded to guarantee proper functionality.)

Mac OSX Tiger

2.14 Firmware Updater for Mac:

The firmware should be updated on all Firepods using the new Firmware Updater. The latest firmware addresses minor stability issues, increases stability when using multiple Firepods, and adds a new standalone feature.

Using the Firmware Updater:

1. Download the Firmware updater OSX firmware Updater ver 2.14.

2. Double-click on the Firmware updater application, and follow the instructions.

VERY IMPORTANT: Do not allow the firewire or power connection to become disconnected during the Firmware update. If this happens, the Firepod can be rendered inoperable, and will need to be serviced.

Using the Firepod in Standalone (Windows XP and MacOSX Tiger

With the new Firmware installed, the Firepod will automatically route inputs 1-8 to their respective line outputs when the Firepod is not connected to the computer. This allows the Firepod to be used as a standalone 8 channel preamp.

Well, there is now an issue with the latency settings. What you select in the drop down box is not what the latency gets set to. For me, 25 ms = 5ms real latency. Going from the top of the list to the bottom should go from 1ms - 25ms in order.

Woooh firmware update. I'm nervous. It's ain't broke and I'm not sure I want to fix it.

One thing that's always puzzled me:

"With the new Firmware installed, the Firepod will automatically route inputs 1-8 to their respective line outputs when the Firepod is not connected to the computer. This allows the Firepod to be used as a standalone 8 channel preamp."

Can those other outputs be used currently, i.e. connected to the PC using existing drivers?

My question is, what the limits of going with THREE boxes together? I know you get forced down to 48khz with two. But, that is cheap solution to a LOT of inputs. :D

Bulls Hit said:
Woooh firmware update. I'm nervous. It's ain't broke and I'm not sure I want to fix it.

One thing that's always puzzled me:

"With the new Firmware installed, the Firepod will automatically route inputs 1-8 to their respective line outputs when the Firepod is not connected to the computer. This allows the Firepod to be used as a standalone 8 channel preamp."

Can those other outputs be used currently, i.e. connected to the PC using existing drivers?
no.
Once sync'd up to a computer, the ins/outs are routed respectively. The pass thru feature only works when it is not sync'd up.

But when pluged into the computer, you can still route the incoming signal out to the respective output pair. There will be slight latency, but I've been doing it when recording my band's practices and it works great. But it's nice to know that I don't have to turn the computer on to route something to my mixer. I hate getting back there and unplugging everything.

Back