New Demo Work (Side Project) Please gimme some ideas

mikemoritz

The name of this one is complicated life (just cause I wrote another song called simplified life)....anyways, the recording is just me overdubbing a few instruments. It's just acoustic guitar, drums, and vocals (although I swear I hear a bass part in there......). The drums are not my forte, so bear with them. They are trashy old 60's slingerlands. The only downfall I hear with the recording of the drums is the overhead was having a little problems. The mixer cables were not of equal caliber. Therefore one side was a little heavier than the other. I also went a little overboard with reverb, but you all be the judge.

Peace, love and chicken,
Mike

hey,

awesome vocals. What mic did you use? I like the upfrontness of it and the sound in particular.

Is it my speakers or is the song mono?

I like the drum sound. I just think it should be a bit louder(kick) and maybe thudier.

I couldnot feel much definittion in the bass guit. I think it need messing with compression.

Nice song.

hey cyan

Thanks for the comments....the vocals were done with a AKG C1000s and a popfilter thorugh a peavey board into my Korg D16. just a little reverb. I just happen to sound pretty decent through that mike. Probably not your speakers, but it should be stereo. I don't pan anything really hard, but the stereo stuff is split about 10 and 2. Yea, about the bass guitar, there actually isn't even a bass track in there...I just mentioned that at times it really sounds like a bass riff is running around the track. weird....anyways, I think I'll redo a mix of the bass drum and maybe I'll pan a little bit more. I think the sound I got on the bass drum might have been a little too punchy for a song like this. Anyways, Thanks for the comments bro.

Peace, love, and chicken,
Mike

Great song Mike! I kept wanting to add a little keyboard in it though, maybe a little surf organ to run in the background, except during the chorus where it could take off a bit and emphasize the vocals. The vocals were very, very nice btw. :) I also could hear the phantom bass in there, weird.

t

Mike,
I like the song, needs a little polish, but really good starter stuff...

T is right that there's room for some keys or another guitar or something...

About that 'phantom' bass line, you should do some research and see if there was a bass player that used to live in your home that met with an untimely demise.... very spooky...:eek:

Queue

I agree, you have a real nice voice, Mike, and it sits just right in the mix (the harmonies, too). You could even let it out a little more.

I hate to ruin the mystical bass line conversation, but it sounds to me like the low E string on the acoustic guitar. That's kind of the idea of using an acoustic guitar as the sole accompanying instrument, to provide bass as well as rhythm and fill-in. I guess we're all so used to hearing either incredibly fat single notes (electric) or clicking steel (acoustic guitar used for the extra rhythm only) that we don't recognize a good acoustic guitar sound.

Good song!

hi,

i don't know what to say about the mix but i think it's a good, well-written song.

i like the relaxing, almost hypnotic feel of it - lyrics and style remind me of coldplay,

-matt

Back