new deep purple vid/concert, MKII in '84

GONZO-X

1984 saw the long-awaited reunion of the classic DEEP PURPLE Mark II line-up of Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice.
It was the first time they had been together since 1973.
They recorded a brand new studio album, Perfect Strangers and headed out on tour.

This show was filmed in Melbourne, Australia and is the only full length concert film of the band at this time.
Perfect Strangers Live - due out October 14th via Eagle Vision mixes then new tracks from the Perfect Strangers album with favorites from the early seventies culminating in the brilliant 'Smoke On The Water' finale.

1984 saw the long-awaited reunion of the classic DEEP PURPLE Mark II line-up of Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice.
It was the first time they had been together since 1973.
They recorded a brand new studio album, Perfect Strangers and headed out on tour.

This show was filmed in Melbourne, Australia and is the only full length concert film of the band at this time.
Perfect Strangers Live - due out October 14th via Eagle Vision mixes then new tracks from the Perfect Strangers album with favorites from the early seventies culminating in the brilliant 'Smoke On The Water' finale.

I saw that tour in Dallas, TX. They were in very good form what I can remember. I wasn't messed up, just that it was a long time ago.

Agh! I'm at work! They're one of my favorites, so can't wait to see this vid. Wish there was more vids of them in the 70's though....

I remember when I was a kid trying to persuade my father, a one time concert violinist, that noisy rock and roll music sometimes did actually require some playing skill, using Highway Star from Made In Japan as my argument. What was I thinking... :facepalm:

Strangely, he refused to see my point.

Still, he's dead now. I win.:D

But largely I'm in the Muttley camp on DP these days, with the occasional exception...

I actually have a VCR tape of this gig (I think it's the same one, they did 3 shows there) and 1 from Adelaide that were shot by someone in the audience. I got to see them about 4 times on that tour, 2 in Providence and 2 in Worcester. My older brother made it to at least 6 on that tour. I'll be looking forward to getting this.

Bill L

The Who are pretty awesome.

I like the Who. But they aren't any better than DP. Machine Head and made in Japan are great albums. F'in Child in Time, man that is really a scream. Ian Gillan has a voice that makes Daltrey wish he had. Only other one that beats Gillan (talking rock here) in vocals is Paul Rogers. He goes from rockers to ballads like nothing. That is a voice!

Pete writes great songs, but plays decent, sings decent. John Entwistle is the unsung hero in that group and I am not even a bass player. He gave the underpinning and flair to the Who songs. He plays bass and rhythm while Pete is flinging arms.

I like the Who. But they aren't any better than DP. Machine Head and made in Japan are great albums. F'in Child in Time, man that is really a scream. Ian Gillan has a voice that makes Daltrey wish he had. Only other one that beats Gillan (talking rock here) in vocals is Paul Rogers. He goes from rockers to ballads like nothing. That is a voice!

Pete writes great songs, but plays decent, sings decent. John Entwistle is the unsung hero in that group and I am not even a bass player. He gave the underpinning and flair to the Who songs. He plays bass and rhythm while Pete is flinging arms.

lol

I saw them both many times in the seventies and the The Who pissed all over the crap that was Deep Purple. The only comparable band for live shows to The Who was Led Zep even they were pretty dodgy mostly. Gillan was a one trick pony and couldn't hold a candle to Daltrey. For the style of music the only one that could was Freddy Mercury. Most of us grew out of that shit around 1976 though, maybe you will one day.

What? Now you're just throwing crap out to see what sticks. I don't even know what that means.

It means that it really happened. I'd seen just about everyone of the big names in the mid seventies because at the time I was a teen living in London and playing in bands hanging out etc... ALL of the big names then and that includes The Who were chucking out increasingly indulgent albums and putting on increasingly self orientated stage shows (that doesn't include The Who, they always delivered). The reaction against all that indulgence was the birth and rise of the punk and new wave movements that actually had a connection with their audience. Most of the rock fans of that generation saw the old school for what it was and moved on.. The big fan base for those bands now is not among the generation that made them but with generations that have found them after the event..Yes I was there..;)

That doesn't get away from the fact that Deep Purple were always crap though...

Paul Rogers! Lol!!! For real. I'm not getting into what's better than what. That's hurts feelings around here. I'm just saying I can't listen to anything from Deep Purple. I've tried. Can't get into it. It's no fun. I can listen to The Who. The Who is more fun.

It means that it really happened. I'd seen just about everyone of the big names in the mid seventies because at the time I was a teen living in London and playing in bands hanging out etc... ALL of the big names then and that includes The Who were chucking out increasingly indulgent albums and putting on increasingly self orientated stage shows (that doesn't include The Who, they always delivered). The reaction against all that indulgence was the birth and rise of the punk and new wave movements that actually had a connection with their audience. Most of the rock fans of that generation saw the old school for what it was and moved on.. The big fan base for those bands now is not among the generation that made them but with generations that have found them after the event..Yes I was there..;)

That doesn't get away from the fact that Deep Purple were always crap though...

I aware of the rise of punk and what they claimed.

But punk really was, we are too lazy and undisciplined to learn how to play and write. So let's make up some shit and record it. We will tell of those young gits that it is rebel music, they will buy our crap and we will live in mansions just like the guys we are saying we are rebelling against. That is how punk came along.

Then, everyone cashed in just like those that had gone before (tho ones you cited). Further more, because of punk and their lack of talent, that gave rise to, new wave and big hair bands!

Further more, Deep Purple Rocks! (At least more than any punk band)

But punk really was, we are too lazy and undisciplined to learn how to play and write. So let's make up some shit and record it. We will tell of those young gits that it is rebel music, they will buy our crap and we will live in mansions just like the guys we are saying we are rebelling against. That is how punk came along.

Then, everyone cashed in just like those that had gone before (tho ones you cited). Further more, because of punk and their lack of talent, that gave rise to, new wave and big hair bands!

lol it's no biggie fella but you are just about wrong on all counts. I was lucky I saw most all of them, rock, metal, punk, new wave, brit, yank, (the odd German combo..) even got on the bill with a few of them. I lived it and if you did and you were a musician you would almost certainly be of the same view. It's just the way it was.

I'm interested. How old are you? What is you location?

:laughings: :laughings:

lol it's no biggie fella but you are just about wrong on all counts. I was lucky I saw most all of them, rock, metal, punk, new wave, brit, yank, (the odd German combo..) even got on the bill with a few of them. I lived it and if you did and you were a musician you would almost certainly be of the same view. It's just the way it was.

I'm interested. How old are you? What is you location?

To be honest, I like all those bands. I have most of their albums. Just thought I would mix it up a bit. Saw the Who, Zepplin,(even though it was about two weeks before Bohham died)AC/DC (before the new singer :D), a few more, this was in Germany in late 70's. Saw Purple, Nugent (Double Live Gonzo), Aerosmith (Rocks and before) the usual rock rotation, then the 80's came and music just sort of died. (Except Perfect Strangers, which was pretty good for that time). But the Who made 1 great album (Who's Next) and 2 decent ones (Who Are You and Tommy) the rest were OK at best. Daltrey sounded like a wimp before Tommy (and not much better on that album) "Who's Next" made the Who great.

I never liked punk and still don't.

80's had a bunch of pretenders, Metalica, Twisted Sister, Guns and Roses, I mean, these guys just didn't do it for me. Rock died in the 80's for me.

90's did better for rock than the 80's.

So, to answer your question about location, not a straight answer: during the years I have lived in, Indiana, Southern Germany, Texas, Southern Germany, Texas, Kentucky. I travel a lot for my job, so been to most of Europe. Never been to Spain, but I kind of like the music.

Back