New death metal single from We Forlorn Hope - mix critique needed

stivens1991

Hi all,

Together with my bud Phil (vocals), I'm working on first death metal track from our upcoming EP. Currently I'm working on a mix for this one, and I'm sure that is not at full potential yet.
Not sure if it is clear enough, and I think that I have some wobbling low end issues in here, but not quite sure where to look. Could use some ears to scan trough these freqs and catch whats wrong. I would appricieate If you can help me with it, and give me some feedback.

Placki (full ver 1).wav - Google Drive

Thanks and regards!
Przemek.

I am by no means experienced enough to judge other people mixes and this sounds pretty good to my ear, but here's what I think...

I think the kick drum has too much of that beater attack coming through, I also feel like the snare doesn't cut through the mix enough. I can't here a bass guitar in the mix either and the vocals sort of stand out from the rest of the mix too much for me.

I wonder if you have you tried FerricTDS? It's a free tape dynamics plugin and I really like how it glues a mix together.

I've also drank lots of beer tonight so what the hell do I know...

Nice tune.

I heard the bass ok.. after the intro section. Before the intro it's non-existent. Still think a bit more bass is needed, along with more snare, louder on the guitar, and a little less vocals. Those kick notes (64ths ..?) are too digital for my taste. I think some better drum samples would help there quite a bit.

I think the guitar, bass, and drums should all be on the same level, all melded together in one wall of sound.

I'm not hearing much bass guitar either.
+1 on turning up the snare some.

The kicks sound pretty standard for the genre.

One of the main cymbals leans really far left. It might be the hi-hat?

It's kind of vocal-forward. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Brooo this is brutal! I really love the guitar tone. It's cutting through really well, and I can make out the notes, which I really like. Two quick observations:

1. This is mostly my taste, but I might make a slight cut between 600-700 hz.
2. I'm kind of expecting a little more presence from the bass.

Great job getting the vocals to sit in the mix.

Hi,

Thank you very much for the answers. That is a massive help. Today I will try to acomodate these into the mix, with that bass and snare up.

Back