New DAW configration please advice

mjamed

Hallo everyone
What do you think of the following DAW configuration? Note I have options for the mother board and the monitor

1. Genuine Intel Pentium 4 /3.4 GHz / 1MB Cache/800MHz Bus
2. Intel D865 Perl motherboard or Gigabyte 865G/ICH5
3. 1 GB DDRAM memory 400MHz
4. 40GB western digital 7200RPM hard drive
5. 120GB western digital 7200RPM hard drive
6. LG DVD writer GSA4120B 12X SUPER-MULTI TRIPLE FORMAT DVD WRITER
7. ATI AGP Graphics card with 64MB + TV out
8. 17” SVGA Samsung Flat monitor or LG flat monitor
9. US Robotics 54K Internal Fax Modem

Regards,

Mjamed

• You are buying the latest and greatest processor. Stop it. Get a 2.8, or better yet, move to Athlon XP
  • Make sure your mobo has firewire
  • A gig of RAM is fine, although you may never use it.
  • Kick up the 40GB HDD to a 80GB HDD. Cost you $5 more.
  • No issue on the 120GB
  • No issue on the DVD, although the "SUPER-MULTI TRIPLE FORMAT" marketing blurb is kind of a kick
  • Crappy graphics card. Get a GeForce or ATI with 128MB minimum, two display (dualhead) support.
  • Get a 19" monitor, or better yet, two
  • A modem is a modem. I prefer external because the lights serve for diagnostics.
You didn't mention an OS, suggest WinXP Pro if you are going with Micro$oft.

my recommendation...
amd athlon (or 64 if your rich), 2 drives, 512 memory and all the usual stuff.
maudio soundcard or if your rich ....rme or lynx.
preamps.....dmp3 or if your rich great river.
just add mics of your choice.
monitors ...yorkvilles.
multitrack software ....great but cheap... magix music studio, powertracks(super for 29 bucks),n track,traktion,multitrack studio. just try the demoes.
TIP - dont put anything in the pci slots other than your sound card.

wheelema said:
  • You are buying the latest and greatest processor. Stop it. Get a 2.8, or better yet, move to Athlon XP
  • No issue on the 120GB
  • No issue on the DVD, although the "SUPER-MULTI TRIPLE FORMAT" marketing blurb is kind of a kick
  • Crappy graphics card. Get a GeForce or ATI with 128MB minimum, two display (dualhead) support.
  • A modem is a modem. I prefer external because the lights serve for diagnostics.

A bit harsh are we? Remember, it's his project not yours.

However, I agree and disagree with this:

1)You could go AMD (or dual AMD) and get the same performance, or better for less.

2) You don't need firewire, but it depends on what you're planning to run. Most applications are starting to utilize USB and Firewire alot more, so it would be a wise investment. They do come on seperate cards, so it dosn't need to be intergrated.

3) When your running these monster programs on your DAW, memory is going to be very important, so slash that idea that "1 gig isn't going to be nessessary". Alot of software dosn't require as much, but you're building a DAW, they are supposed to exceed the limits of software. Also, make sure it's registered memory from a brand name.

House or generic brands aren't put together like name brands (samsung or kingston for example). Registered memory has a higher standard to go buy than unregistered memory, so unless you want a bipolar computer, go registered.

4) If you want to kick up to 80gigs, thats fine, just remember that you'll need the Windows service pack 1 in order to read larger than normal harddrives. I think it's anything larger than 80gigs.

5) Since apparently someone thinks you're a millionare, get six 24 inch LCD screens...yeah right. Seriously, you can get the same job done with one screen as you could with more than one. And since it appears that you're starting out, maybe one screen would be better for now. Remember that your video card must support it.

6) About the modem, the first thing I usually tell people about DAWs is that they are never to be connected with the outside world. Unless you're working within a network inside a studio with many DAWs. Internet files will get installed on your computer whether you want them there or not. The whole point of a DAW is to get the best performance you can.

7) Windows XP will do you fine, unless you're planning on doing networking.

My advice about the mobo, just make sure it's something thats expandible. Even if you dont need the extra memory slots or extra PCI slots right this moment, at least you'll be set when you want to upgrade in the future. ;)

wheelema said:
  • No issue on the 120GB
thanks for the replay guys
why not buying the latest processor?

i am using WinXP Pro, Aardvark Direct Pro q10,and sure microphones.

The latest and greatest processors are the cash cows for the manufactures. Two or three steps down are priced more competitively.

Back