new crazy problem pls help

Waysid

After spending close to five hours struggling, I figured I would turn to board for some help.

I am using Cakewalk Guitar Studio 2 (although the problem happens with Sonar demo as well), on a Pentium III 733, 256 MB RAM, SoundBlaster Live (using EMU APS drivers rather than Creative), with a ATA 100 Fireball 7200 drive.

The problem I get is pretty simple. I have recorded a drum loop and now I want to record a guitar track. When I record the guitar track the drum loop plays fine and I play along with it in time. Now when I listen back to the tracks afterwards...the guitar and drums are not synced up. The guitar usually seems to get ahead of the drums.

I am pretty sure I have everything set up correctly. Each track soloed sounds fine, so there is not any accidental bouncing or feedback loops. The crazy thing is that I had this all working a few months ago. Then my harddrive crashed so I had to reinstall everything and now I have this problem.

Anyone have any ideas....help...help...help...

Chris

One thing I just thought of was that I installed Directx8, (to get the SONAR demo going), that couldn't be the problem could it.

that's a puzzler the only thing that comes to mind is clock sync, what are your playback/recording timing masters set to? (see Options/Audio in Sonar).

Are the waveforms lined up perfectly, i.e. when you zoom in to both tracks side-by-side, do they appear offset?

If it happens in both Sonar and GS this may be related to your hardware in some way, i.e. a hardware conflict or something. Could that new hard drive be occupying memory addresses or interrupts similar to your audio hardware or some other device?

Well I figured it out...sort of. It was something to do with my EMU APS mixer that comes the with the APS drivers. I reinstalled the drivers and the mixer ended up set back to its default settings. Well these default settings worked so I guess I had changed something on the mixer to cause problems before. I think it had something to do with the way I was routing the wav channel through the mixer...I think it was delaying the sound somehow so when I played along my playing was recording ahead of the wave. I don't know....whatever....its working now

Thanks for the response heinz.

Chris

Back